Anyone else asked?

Joshm

"why did you get?" (fill in the blank.) I've recently been tattooed where it's able to be seen with my typical dress and I guess I'm surprised of late how often someone will ask why? Not that I was tattooed but theme, color, image etc. I'm just surprised I have to explain any of it at all. I mean dragons, bunnies, flames or flowers I guess I've not seen others and thought why? I mean good, bad, neat, bold etc. sure but why has just never crossed my mind as tattoos are for and decided by the person who has them. I wonder if anyone else is as surprised when asked why with respect to theme of image etc as I am.

I do get this kind of thing sometime. I think it goes to the idea that in order to take the step of getting a tattoo it would need to be an image with deep and lasting personal meaning. I admit that I felt that way prior to getting any tattoos myself. Now I would happily pick a cool image off the wall from an artist I trust. Things change.

I guess that's it really. That every tattoo must have a meaning and can't "just" be something I liked and wanted no further meaning involved. It really has been unique to see how others look and when they speak think about tattoos now that I can't hide my own.

I agree about the meaning-thing. Someone just was admiring mine the middle of last week and she said she just hasn't found anything that means enough to her yet. And everyone wants to know what the meaning is behind mine..."Um..I really like flowers and they make me happy. I love water. And I wish I could fly so...yanno..wind.." Someone did ask me years ago tho why I had Tony the Tiger tattooed on my ankle and I about came unglued. TIGGER. Get it right. And even still, the only "meaning" I can find there is that Tigger makes me happy and speaks to the kid in me who will never grow up.

I cannot stand when people ask me why. about every single tattoo I have. No there is no sob story behind the rose on my knee, roses just look cool on the knee. It is really the only question I just cant answer anymore. It bugs me.

I do try and explain that not everyone needs this contrived emotional meaning to get a tattoo, that getting the tattoo is the meaningful part. Getting a tattoo is the experience I wanted to capture. A good tattoo should be able to stand alone.

But of course if you don't have a love for tattoos and the process then you will never understand that.

Also I believe once you want more than one tattoo, these thought-up meanings behind them fade for you. The people that ask me "why", are the people with one tattoo for their kids, or no tattoos and have been trying so desperately to think of the perfect image or word to get done for the last 40 years. If I am going for full coverage, each one can mean less in a back story sense, and just be awesome.

well - today was my first day "occupationally" with a visible tattoo

i have stuff that pokes out here or there

but this forearm piece was out for the masses

and it will stay that way as i wear short sleaves at work

in fact I have another forearm piece on the other arm

coming in august

interesting day - sept is sure to be even more intense

as the summer program is small in comparision

with less parent interaction

only a few comments from the kids (i work in education) but the staff were all about the questions

"whats it mean" was on the top of the list

lots of compliments and good questions that i didnt mind

and thankfully i didnt get asked my pet peeve of questions

the dreaded "how much" to which i never directly answer

anyway - no regrets

I get this a lot. A lot of people can't seem to accept "It kind of means [some vague concept, like strength] but it's mostly because I like it," and it's annoying when those people keep pressuring me for details. No, it doesn't mean anything else...yes, it's that simple.

If you were to look at the "meaning" of each of them, you can actually see how I start to care less and less as I go. My last two and upcoming one literally mean nothing other than they make cool traditional tattoos and that's probably going to be true for most of my future tattoos. The more you get I think the more exhausting it gets trying to come up with something meaningful for each one, so even if you start out getting meaningful tattoos, eventually you just give up and get awesome stuff. So for someone with one or none, I guess it's unfathomable to think that way.

I will say I think all those hyper realistic black and gray tattoos of women smoking or whatever kind of weirds me out. I can understand getting a cartoony face on you, but I think it's a little weird to get a super realistic portrait of some woman you don't even know and who might not even exist (created in Photoshop for the tattoo). That's the only time where my gut is saying "this should mean something, this should be a portrait of their mom, wife, etc" and it's still a little alarming to hear otherwise. But I've always been a little weirded out by portraits in general.

Yes....and every time with a straight face I tell them that "It was to honor the sacrifice of a baby to satan"

If they don't run away......I let them know that while a lot of people now do get tattooed because there is some story behind it.....that a lot of tattoos have no meaning and are just cool things people just wanted to get....

When I tell people that 90% of my tattoos have no meaning, their brains explode.

They should get a tattoo of a brain exploding to commemorate the experience!

Edit: And from my own experience, the most annoying tattoo to be questioned about is the all seeing eye. I get so much illuminati bullshit thrown at me it's unreal

They should get a tattoo of a brain exploding to commemorate the experience!

Edit: And from my own experience, the most annoying tattoo to be questioned about is the all seeing eye. I get so much illuminati bullshit thrown at me it's unreal

Now I think I want an exploding brain tattoo. It'll be so next level when they ask what it means...