Artist not responding - find another?

L2DB

Went Monday to get my Celtic warrior on my inner/front bicep. First stencil was too small, but artist had concerns about placement of something bigger (i.e. distortion about wrapping it around to the front). Had the idea to move the small one higher to front shoulder-cap/upper arm, but stencil didn't look right there to me (I have an existing piece we are working around and some other things I want to get in the same area so there are some planning considerations). Process had me 2nd guessing the design. Re-looked at first placement with bigger size and artist seemed to reconsider his first thought, but was concerned about time left in the day to do it right. Mutually decided to postpone getting it then.

Hoping to go back next Monday afternoon, but still need to confirm. Kind of bummed, but better than being bummed after the fact.

Larger and placement towards the front was what I was looking for initially, but I'm a bit concerned I won't like it at that point either once the stencil's on and given how long I've thought through what I want, that's disappointing. We'll see I guess.

So the above happened July 20th. Sent a text to artist July 21st saying could do the 27th. No response. Sent a text July 28th saying I could do Aug 3rd or would need to be end of August/beginning of September. No response. Artist was generally slow to respond in setting up initial appointment, but I'm wondering if it's beyond poor customer interaction skills and he doesn't want to do the tattoo. We left it well (I thought) with him seemingly excited about really doing a good job on it and I think he might have been on vacation for a portion of the time since then, but still... do I just cut bait and find someone else at this point?

Haven't called and stopping by in-person isn't conducive to my schedule. I emailed earlier today. Calling is a good idea - not sure why I haven't thought of that. At this point, it almost seems desperate - I don't want a grudging "okay, I'll do it a guess" type response like I'm being a PITA.

Haven't had work from him in the past, but some of the things he's done in the past (from his portfolio) are the best match stylistically for the piece I want him to do, at least in the immediate area. I've explored a fair number of artist portfolios from shops nearby and haven't really seen anything else that grabs me for what I want to get done. I'll call the shop or stop by when he's back in town, but may check out artists from Columbus or Pittsburgh (I'm in Cleveland) if it doesn't work out.

• 4 weeks later...

I am having a similar problem... and I'm now looking for a new artist. Bottom line is that it is still customer service and bad customer service if you're not getting an answer back. Or maybe, you're right and he doesn't actually want to do the piece.

• 3 weeks later...

I've contacted an artist because I purchased a few of his prints and wanted to know if he could sign them from me. He replied a few months later and apologized for the late response. He said he gets tons of e-mails and mine must have gotten overlooked. Call the shop and ask what is the best way for communication with them. My shop requires an initial in person consultation. After that, if it is a big piece, you can call and set up random appointments.

Don't get bummed until you actually call the shop or go there in person.