Hello from a plainSkin

Blaue

I've happily and accidentally found The Last Sparrow recently and I wanted to say hey! I have quite a few questions that I'm slowly answering with the search function here. Thanks for all the insightful questions & comments that are already here. I'm a 40 something mom who has wanted a tattoo for 15+ years, but I am a slow decision maker. I feel if I'm going to keep it forever, I really want love it. I have finally settled on the general idea of what I want. I've found and contacted an artist and I will shortly have a consult with him. If all goes well, I should have my tattoo by November. I know that sounds like a long way off, but after 15 years, it's not really that far. Plus, I believe my artist is worth the wait. I am thinking this will be my only tattoo, but I can secretly see myself with a few (don't tell my husband! lol). I am worried about one thing ... what if I'm a wimp? I'm planning on what is reported to be a less painful area, but I don't really know what my tolerance will be. I am hoping my really wanting the tattoo will over shadow any wimpiness that might come out.

Welcome! Who will be doing your tattoo? What did you decide on, and where (on your body) are you getting it?

I plan on having my three kids represented in a mandala of sorts from John Sultana in Brooklyn. I have some images to show what I like, but I thought I would leave the exact design up to the artist. If that's a mistake, let me know!! And I was thinking of placing it on my upper arm/shoulder area. I'm really open on placement. I do like the idea of being able to see it myself (at least a little bit of it).

Thanks for the encouragement, Graeme!

Nice, John does first rate tattoos so you're going to get a great one from him. I hope you'll stick around and share it with us. Me and my wife have gotten tattooed a fair bit at Saved, though unfortunately not currently, and it's a really nice, friendly, warm shop. You'll have a great time, and there are a lot of excellent pre- and post-tattoo meal and drink options around the shop.

I don't know if you watch, but on shows like Ink Master I'm convinced the producers tell the "canvases" to cry, whine, and moan throughout their tattoos for the camera. I haven't gotten a tattoo in the spots that are supposed to be the most painful (like the ribs, etc.) but for me upper back, arms, and lower leg were all no problem. We all do have different pain tolerances I guess, but I agree with @Graeme, you have given birth 3x! Tattoos are lower on the pain scale.

I love John Sultana's stuff, good choice!

I don't know if you watch, but on shows like Ink Master I'm convinced the producers tell the "canvases" to cry, whine, and moan throughout their tattoos for the camera. I haven't gotten a tattoo in the spots that are supposed to be the most painful (like the ribs, etc.) but for me upper back, arms, and lower leg were all no problem. We all do have different pain tolerances I guess, but I agree with @Graeme, you have given birth 3x! Tattoos are lower on the pain scale.

I love John Sultana's stuff, good choice!

We have been watching InkMasters on Hulu ... my daughters and I been binge watching it. I need to sit down with the judges and have them explain to me exactly what's good and bad about some of the tattoos because I can't always see what they are talking about. My 15 year is an artist and thinks it will be fabulous to be someone's tattoo apprentice and that's her current goal. I am OK with whatever makes her happy and financially independent ... just not until she's done with school! I do hope some of the pain is exaggerated on those shows, or at least that I can sit still through it. I will just keep telling myself what Graeme said that if it's THAT bad, no one would have more than one.

Nice, John does first rate tattoos so you're going to get a great one from him. I hope you'll stick around and share it with us. Me and my wife have gotten tattooed a fair bit at Saved, though unfortunately not currently, and it's a really nice, friendly, warm shop. You'll have a great time, and there are a lot of excellent pre- and post-tattoo meal and drink options around the shop.

This is so nice to hear! I knew choosing an excellent artist is important to me, so it's great to hear he has a solid reputation. Also, I'm glad to hear it's a friendly shop. A warm environment will go a long way to making me feel more comfortable. I'm really out of my element if everyone in any kind of shop is a snob. Saved is a little bit of a haul from my home, so it will be nice to make an outing of our trips there. If you have some favorite restaurants, I'd love to hear them!! I'll definitely post a picture when it's done. I'll be so excited to show it off and there are only so many times I can show it to my family members. lol

Thanks for the encouragement el twe!

@Blaue

Ugh! What a good choice for a first tattoo, congratulations on being wise! John Sultana tattooed me early last year and I had a great time. Saved is a rad studio too. Stephanie Tamez, who is the owner, had a blog back in 2010 that taught me a lot about tattoos when I first started to dive into it. Good luck with your first time under the needle (it will be fine, don't stress about it) and hope you stick around the forum!