Hello from The Peoples Republic of Berkeley

Dirk Beszia

I am Dirk. I have decided to start my tattoo process (full body suit japanese style). It is a pleasure to be here and thank you for inviting.

Right on! And yes, please name names. No shortage of great Japanese style artists here in the Bay.

I have very small old tattoos one on rib and other on bicep. I want a large custom Buddha on back, mostly flowers, wind bars, waves on the rest of the body, a protector image (mahakhala or something) on front rib (ouch). I am still meeting with many artists (including a few in Vietnam) to discuss the design. Any recommendations?

Thanks bro.

IMO the best japanese-style tattooers in the bay are in no order:

Dave Moore - True Love, Berkeley

Luke Stewart - Seventh Son, San Francisco

Jason Phillips - FTW, Oakland

Tim Lehi - Temple, Oakland

Horitomo/Colin Baker/Jill Bonny - State of Grace, San Jose

Colin Stevens - Body Manipulations, San Francisco

Everyone who works at - Diamond Club, San Francisco

Kahlil Rintye - Tattoo City, San Francisco

Ben Cheese - Everlasting, San Francisco

Andre Malcolm - Skull & Sword, San Francisco

I'm probably forgetting some folks, but thems the best of the best. Also I have seen some wonderful Japanese from Paul Dobleman for what it's worth.

welcome!

if you're meeting with artists in Vietnam, then it sounds like you're willing to travel. If that's the case, then this list could grow out of control! this sounds like a "vote for an artist to do an LSTer's bodysuit" thread, which is pretty damn awesome. you've just gotta take all the suggestions, scroll IG til your fingers get numb, and find the artists whose work speaks to you.

a few thoughts...

- i'm not sure i've seen a full japanese body suit from Chris Garver, but i'm positive it would blow minds (if anyone has pictures of any, i'd love to see 'em).

- it would be cool to see a few artists who don't specialize in japanese get the chance to do a full body suit... a chad koeplinger, jeff rassier, or jondix buddha/mahakhala bodysuit would be unique and amazing.

- on the opposite end of the spectrum, there are artists who've been banging out japanese body suits for a while like Chris Treviño, Filip Leu, Shige, Mike Roper, Mike Rubendall, Henning Jorgensen, etc.

- if you're going japanese and you're willing to travel, how about japan?

- for practicality's sake, staying in the bay would save you $ on travel and you'd be able to work on it more often (see @cltattooing list above).

happy researching!!

George Campise!! When I hear Berkeley, I think of Campeesee..

But Carolyn's list is pretty legit.

*Jill Bonny is at Tuesday Tattoo in the Outer Sunset at the moment.

- - - Updated - - -

- it would be cool to see a few artists who don't specialize in japanese get the chance to do a full body suit... a chad koeplinger, jeff rassier, or jondix buddha/mahakhala bodysuit would be unique and amazing.

I've seen a Japanese sleeve from Dan Santoro, and it was mind blowing.