2015 Bay Area Convention of the Tattoo Arts

Hellloooo everybody!!

It's that time of year again...where we all start oohing and aahing over the lineup for the Bay Area convention and some of us start talkin' travel.

@sophistre and I met up yesterday and decided that it would probably be fun as hell to go, so the PNW will be representing for sure.

Who else is in? Any plans?

I'm just hoping to get the conversation going!!

Hellloooo everybody!!

It's that time of year again...where we all start oohing and aahing over the lineup for the Bay Area convention and some of us start talkin' travel.

@sophistre and I met up yesterday and decided that it would probably be fun as hell to go, so the PNW will be representing for sure.

Who else is in? Any plans?

I'm just hoping to get the conversation going!!

Wait, you guys going for sure?!? FUCK!

@beez, thanks,'bout time this conversation gets started. It'd be great to get a meet up going. I'll definitely be up again this year. Initial plan, as usual, is to be there every day and I'm hoping to get a session in to start on my torso the day before or day it starts. Hopefully it won't knock me out. Aaand maybe I'll try again to get a walk up w/ Miyazo

@beez, thanks,'bout time this conversation gets started. It'd be great to get a meet up going. I'll definitely be up again this year. Initial plan, as usual, is to be there every day and I'm hoping to get a session in to start on my torso the day before or day it starts. Hopefully it won't knock me out. Aaand maybe I'll try again to get a walk up w/ Miyazo

Let's go to that yakitori spot again!

was supposed to have 2 days with Carlos Torres but he isn't coming up because it lands on Halloween weekend, bummed. Shige won't be there this year to finish my stomach, bummed. only bright note is that Gogue said he might be down for a second pass, stoked. maybe Adrian Lee can start on me there. and i really want to try that yakitori place! i heard much about it.

I am definitely going to try to make it happen! It's my birthday weekend, and that would be a pretty great gift. TBH I would love to be tattooed there but I have no specific 'must-have' artists sorted and no idea how I would try to get in with them, anyway, so who knows! It'll be fun just to have the experience. Buy some prints, ogle other people's tattoos, add to my mental list of people I'd like to tattoo me someday. :)

I am definitely going to try to make it happen! It's my birthday weekend, and that would be a pretty great gift. TBH I would love to be tattooed there but I have no specific 'must-have' artists sorted and no idea how I would try to get in with them, anyway, so who knows! It'll be fun just to have the experience. Buy some prints, ogle other people's tattoos, add to my mental list of people I'd like to tattoo me someday. :)

do it! you can start with buying prints, ogling tattoos, and adding to your mental list, but being around it all just makes you want to jump over to the fun/painful side of the tables. ;) i enjoy searching out that perfect little pre-drawn $40-$60 filler piece to scratch the itch and pass the time.

Damn, @MoistTowelette. Is this cosmic let down bad juju for getting tattooed by EVERYONE last year? Ha ha! Bummer though. I was hoping Shige would be there and bringing some of his limited "Barekijin (sp?)" prints. Well, there goes that plan. Yakitori place for sure!

If you're not inspired to pre-book with someone @sophistre, once you step in you'll definitely get an urge to get a little something. It's a hard thing to resist. I've only been able to withstand it by spending way too much on prints and books. Ha!

This is my first post, so I apologize for just jumping in, but I have advice to offer.

Most tattooers who are making appointments for the convention will have their e-mail listed in their IG bio. Those that don't are probably just taking walk-ups.

If you really want to seek advance booking and the artist doesn't provide information, call the shop and politely let them know you've exhausted your resources and would like to know about booking the artists at that convention. You'll likely find that they are only taking walk-ups.

The best thing you can do for yourself and your artist is have an idea of the tattoo you want from that artist that fits with that artist's IG portfolio and let them take it from there.

@JaredLee! dude... you almost made it a year from your join date to first post! yowza!! no need to apologize for jumping in... that's what the forum is all about!

@sophistre, you'll be surprised how many great artists aren't booked in advance. if you're really lookin to get something, i suggest you get there early on friday and see what you can book. some artists will even be free friday and some might not be open til sunday, but there's only one way to find out! ;)

This is my first post, so I apologize for just jumping in, but I have advice to offer.
but there's only one way to find out! ;)

Thank you both for the advice! I appreciate all of it. If I can manage to figure out who I would even contact (not because there isn't anybody I'd like to be tattooed by, but because there are just SO MANY people), I'll give it a shot...and definitely plan to be there early on Friday. :)

@JaredLee! dude... you almost made it a year from your join date to first post! yowza!! no need to apologize for jumping in... that's what the forum is all about!

Right on, thank you @Hands On. I created an account, forgot about it and then wanted to check in after attending my first convention a couple weeks ago. I'm very off and on with forums.

@sophistre, as far as narrowing down the list, the forum is a great resource for that as well. If you have ideas of what tattoos you want specifically, that can cut the list down by opinions held here pretty easily. What and who did you have in mind?

I can only go one day, so I'm trying to figure out what day to ask for off. Saturday seems most logical.

Also might pop in to Blackheart that weekend because usually there's a ton of guest artists in town covering for the whole shop while they're at SFO.

Saturday seems most logical.

i think this depends on what you're trying to accomplish. if you're just trying to see the sights and take in the vibe, i think saturday is good. definitely the busiest and more likely to run into more LSTers.

if you're trying to get tattooed, it could definitely vary...

Friday - if you can get there right when the doors open, you can make a mad dash to folks taking walk ups and be the first to book, hopefully for Friday!

Saturday - same as Friday, if you can get there early. but i think some artists book for the weekend on Friday night, so Saturday could be tougher to find someone available.

Sunday - i think it's generally a lil slower, so there's a chance folks'll be open.

as far as narrowing down the list, the forum is a great resource for that as well. If you have ideas of what tattoos you want specifically, that can cut the list down by opinions held here pretty easily. What and who did you have in mind?

I am giggling a little at this post because this forum has done anything but help me narrow down the list of people I would get tattoos from, haha! I know what you meant, though. Truth is, I don't actually have any specific tattoo ideas, and I'd probably change what I wanted depending on who it was, so that makes it hard for well-meaning internet friends to help me choose! I've been kind of interested in a foo dog, lately. Maybe a really excellent lady head? ...or anything. That's always the hardest part for me -- not that there's nothing I want or only something very specific, but that there's SO MUCH I would get, it's hard to narrow it down!

"I've been kind of interested in a foo dog.". Stewart Robson. Done!

"Maybe a really excellent lady head?". Valerie Vargas. Done!

the one-two punch! Aside from the convention they've both guested at Blackheart while in town the last couple years. You never know, you could win the golden ticket. Ha ha!

But yes, you're right there's always an amazing roster of artists at this convention @sophistre. And any number of these people can and would do an excellent job. I am always happy to play the devil on someone's shoulder if they're debating a tattoo, so please don't mind me. Then, with this list of attendees I don't really need too. You'll just find yourself in a chair in a happy tattoo overloaded daze.Ha!

Tattooers that definitely caught my eye this year at SFO:

Grez, Arriola, Benevides, Kiku (Invisible), Chris Trevino. Prob wouldn't get anything from Trevino, but I respect his work so much. Grez is one of my favorite tattooers in NY and he's not in California that often. Arriola can do anything and I thank a handful of LST'ers for putting me on. I've always been a fan of Benevides style, and Kiku is doing a really tough Japanese style that I can dig. Kiku's also rarely out in California.

I CANNOT believe I am missing another year!! Oh well 2016 it is! You guys will have a blast and hopefully will end up with some great tattoos....

"I've been kind of interested in a foo dog.". Stewart Robson. Done!

"Maybe a really excellent lady head?". Valerie Vargas. Done!

the one-two punch! Aside from the convention they've both guested at Blackheart while in town the last couple years. You never know, you could win the golden ticket. Ha ha!

But yes, you're right there's always an amazing roster of artists at this convention @sophistre. And any number of these people can and would do an excellent job. I am always happy to play the devil on someone's shoulder if they're debating a tattoo, so please don't mind me. Then, with this list of attendees I don't really need too. You'll just find yourself in a chair in a happy tattoo overloaded daze.Ha!