Tattoo Newbie

rikouri

Hey, my names Paul and i'm from Newcastle in England. I am a completely an utter blank page when it comes to tattoos! i have wanted one for several years, yet have put it off due to career decision but have finally decided to hell with it and want several pieces done.

Completely unaware how tattoo artists etc really work and have been unable to find out much about them, in terms of getting tattoo's designed mainly as i am not one for getting stuff done that every tom dick and harry seems to be sporting after their summer trip to magaluf or ibiza. Any info or advice would be massively appreciated! cheers!

Hello Paul and welcome to this forum. I was like you and I found this thread really helpfull as a starter http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/2396-what-makes-good-tattoo.html. Just swift through the posts at the general discussion you'll be fine. And if u have some questions I think alot of people here can answer them

Many of us do not want "flash". Certainly reading and research helps, but the best advice is to find an artist with work you like and talk to them. They are your best asset, and will tell you their design process (if asked) so that you can plan accordingly. My favorite artist works very flexibly, and has used reference material that I email to her to incorporate in her design. She then emails me a rough draft a day or so before the appointment. Deposits vary widely. Your deposit should cover the sketch. I understand that many will not email the sketch, however. You must see one for careful review and approval before the tattoo. Still, if it is photographed beyond your control, you have no guarantee that someone has it copied by another artist.