What do you think of pocket watches?

Hi guys! Curious to know what you think of pocket watch tattoos... Seeing lots of them lately. You think they they are a current trend or here to stay? I'm tempted to get one but can't help but think they are a bit cliche'd..

Get a skull.

I'm confused. What happened to the good ol' panther? Too trendy??

Sol, you're saying there is a nice spot on your arm where it'll fit, that indicates to me that you have a few tattoos already...so just put it there if you fancy it and don't worry. Sounds like it's not gonna be the only/first tattoo someone will look at, but rather one of many. IMHO, that's a difference somehow. Although it's probably not worth stressing about it anyway...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

My pocket watch tattoo is the only tattoo I don't like, that said thats more because it was not very well done, once I eventually get it re-lined/reworked I may like it, I think they can look really great, but can also look quite tacky if the style isn't right.

@pidjones is diving into a whole nother topic of appropriation, so if I may, I'll try to add something impactful. Pocket watches, outside of tattoos are timeless. Obviously the vast majority of physical pocket watches are of no real significant value other than a gimmick or a novelty. If timeless is what we're after, then it is up to the person getting tattooed to choose which it is. Gimmicky or timeless.

@pidjones is diving into a whole nother topic of appropriation, so if I may, I'll try to add something impactful. Pocket watches, outside of tattoos are timeless. Obviously the vast majority of physical pocket watches are of no real significant value other than a gimmick or a novelty. If timeless is what we're after, then it is up to the person getting tattooed to choose which it is. Gimmicky or timeless.

Pun intended?

• 4 months later...
sol you're overthinking this - who cares who likes it - if its trendy blah blah

you need to like it - thats it

get what you get

but dont get upset

This. So this. I think a pocket watch can be quite beautiful really. And the time you choose can have meaning. You can have the time be the time you were born signifying the moment your life in this world began. You can have the time be when a child was born. You can have the time be one minute to midnight signifying how close we always are to the end of our lives or the end of peace. If you get it done well by a good artist, it will transcend fad and simply be art. Best of luck :)