Getting tattoed at a convention - safe or not?

Sick

I have been tattooed twice at the Montreal convention. I had no issues. I am fairly certain that the people you would allow to tattoo you in a shop will make sure to provide the same cleanliness in the key areas. You don't see a lot of non single use items at these events, so if it's clean and new for you there should be no problem. Just don't wash your new tattoo in the bathroom there.

I had a great experience getting a tattoo at a show,I had a 9 hour one shot done,

if the artist is good and reputable they will use all the same sanitary and clean procedures as they would in a shop ,so IMO it's not an issue,

I know many people that have had tattoos done at shows and have had really great experiences and great tattoos !

As others have said, the quality artist you choose will be just as safe and clean no matter where they're tattooing you. There has to be a slightly (tiny) increased risk of an infection, just because you're getting tattooed around hundreds of other people instead of 5-10 people in a shop, but your own aftercare is infinitely more important a factor.

The reason not to get a tattoo at a convention has nothing to do with safety, it's about the atmosphere. I found getting a tattoo at last years Montreal convention to be WAY too loud and hectic for my taste. It was very difficult to have a conversation with my tattooer - essentially we were shouting half the time (booth quite close to stage).

Afterwards I told myself I'd never get tattooed at a convention again...

...I'm getting my next tattoo in a couple weeks at the Montreal Convention.

I got a tattoo, and I made them to other people at festivals. Problems never was.

If tattooist to observe sanitary rules and monitors the safety clean and that no problems will be. Workplace tattoo is that it is safe to prepare and no matter it is in the studio or at the convention.

I think that getting a tattoo at the festival is cool and interesting)

The reason not to get a tattoo at a convention has nothing to do with safety, it's about the atmosphere. I found getting a tattoo at last years Montreal convention to be WAY too loud and hectic for my taste. It was very difficult to have a conversation with my tattooer - essentially we were shouting half the time (booth quite close to stage).

Afterwards I told myself I'd never get tattooed at a convention again...

...I'm getting my next tattoo in a couple weeks at the Montreal Convention.

Ha, I can echo this 100%. Got a (killer) tattoo at the SFO convention a few years ago, my first in a convention atmosphere. Definitely not my preference for exactly the reasons you stated. But, the temptation is strong....

Ditto everything said here so far. I've had a couple of marathon sessions at different tattoo conventions. Mind you I can't vouch for those conventions with neon billboard advertisements off freeways as I've never been (and don't want to ever go to). Those I have attended, which were put together by individuals in the tattoo industry, the artists take pride in being professional and make sure you are comfortable and sanitary standards are met. I would agree some conventions are more laid back than others and getting tattooed at one has a lot to do w/ your own personality too as obviously there will be a lot of people walking around. Some taking photos and randomly you find yourself on the Internet (me, raising hand). Also some conventions have very loud music or entertainment which I'm sure can get old quickly (London, I'm looking at you. Still love ya though).

My husband got a tattoo at a convention and it came out great!! It's like researching artists online and looking at portfolios only you get to talk to them right there! We walked around and looked at everyone and we were able to narrow it down to whose portfolio matched closely with what he wanted. We picked someone semi-local too so that we could easily go back to him if we needed to. But you also get access to artists who are out of town too who you might not normally have access to. My husband ended up going back to him and having him add to it. It was just as safe as walking into a shop too! I say, yes to conventions!

I've gotten one tattoo at a convention. I would say that the cleanliness was in line with what I see in a shop, but I'm not a health inspector so don't quote me! :D

I also agree that you have to consider the atmosphere of the convention. If you don't want a lot of people staring at you while you are getting the tattoo, getting a tattoo at a convention may not be for you. Consider this especially if you are getting an area covered that may be normally covered by clothes, as most artists don't bring privacy screens.

When I got my tattoo, my artist was at the first booth as you entered the convention. There were tons of people who stopped to look at what my artist was creating. I mostly didn't mind being stared at while getting the tattoo. However, it did bother me that children were staring as the tattoo that I got was more "adult" in nature. I didn't expect as many children at the convention, but there was another convention in the same building that attracted a lot of young kids. It seemed like they all came to the tattoo convention after their convention was over.