Any information or guesses on this work from around 1898...

I'm starting a tribute with Rich Hardy and I'd love to know who tattooed this/whose body it's on. I believe that this person was a part of the circus, as many of Eisenmann's subjects were. I can't seem to find any more information. Thanks for any help in advance!

3781FB3D-0F1A-4951-8FF9-EFDB014F4F1A_zpsnvpgjd5b.png

Thank you! That page is really cool, and some of his orig photos are up on Ebay. I can't imagine that tattoo being by hand poke, and the machine was apparently invented in 1891 hah. Such a mystery. Anyway I'm enjoying the search as much as the rest of the experience.

Can't wait to see your tribute finished. That's gonna be so cool.

Can't wait to see your tribute finished. That's gonna be so cool.

Just figured out who tattooed it! Martin Hildebrandt, who was one of the first tattooers in NYC and the U.S.. It makes sense that it would be him because he came from Germany where the machine was first invented. Thanks for the help!

Still thing to figure out who it was on though.

• 4 weeks later...

My guess would be Carl Gustafsson who went by Kalle the tattooist (1888-1975) who started tattooing at age 13, which could add up. He was from Gothenburg, sweden.

If you own the book Nordic tattooing by jon nordstrom you can find more info and pictures of high flash and preserved line drawings. The lay out of designs seems to be consistend with what you posted

edit: didnt read that you allready figured it out, ill have a look at that name! Thanks for the piece of history!

Just figured out who tattooed it! Martin Hildebrandt, who was one of the first tattooers in NYC and the U.S.. It makes sense that it would be him because he came from Germany where the machine was first invented. Thanks for the help!

Still thing to figure out who it was on though.

A quick google search doesn't give me that much information. Where can I find more about him?