A Belated Introduction

soraya

A belated hello LST!

I’ve been posting here for over a year, but I realized that I never did the obligatory introductory post. So here goes...

I’m a female, in my late 50s. I started getting tattooed kind of late, around when I turned 50, when my husband suggested I get a tattoo because he thought it would be attractive. I was reluctant, but finally said “what the heck! It will be an adventure, and he will be happy. I’ll get one, and that will be it.” So I got a well-hidden tattoo. I loved it, and wanted another. I was hooked! I wanted another one, and then more and more. I now have eight, including half sleeves, and I’m thinking about a back piece.

I’m otherwise pretty conventional, and work in a professional business setting, and have something of a mental block about showing my tattoos in public, even though I love, love, LOVE them. Old lessons are hard to unlearn, and I fear being judged or stereotyped. LST folks have given me support, and partly as a result of that, It hink I’m getting to a point where I can more comfortably go public with my ink.

I joined LST because I have no, none, zero, zip friends (except my husband) with whom I can share my tattoo enthusiasm. I really like being part of the tattooed community, among people who are accepting, supportive, and enthusiastic about tattooing, people who “get it,” who know what it is like to feel the needle, understand the near addictive attraction, and have stories and experiences to share. I love to talk about tattoos and tattooing. I love being tattooed, it matters a lot to me. It is an essential part of who I am now, both physically and mentally.

LST is my outlet!

As someone who is new to LST but not to tattoos, I can really relate to what you are saying. My wife has only one on her hip that can't normally be seen and now wants a few flowers on her upper back/shoulder, which I think will be beautiful. We both work in conservative places and no one there knows we have any ink. We're both in our 50's.

I'm considering a pair of irezumi half sleeves, however. The lower edges will be visible at work and I no longer care!

Seeing other people enjoying tattoos can be fun, too. I encourage you to attend a tattoo convention and see how much fun others have sharing their art. Statistically, a good many of the people that you meet daily have art on their skin. Some may surprise you. I've found that visible ink encourages them to discuss theirs. I have yet to have anyone say a disparaging remark about mine. So many have friends or family (or themselves secretly) with ink that even in small-town America it is usually no problem.

Seeing other people enjoying tattoos can be fun, too. I encourage you to attend a tattoo convention and see how much fun others have sharing their art...

I do attend conventions. There is one in a large city not too far away every year, and I have gone for the last several years. I really love that atmosphere just for the reasons you said. I always feel like I am with "my people" there! There is an atmosphere of universal acceptance there. I always come away feeling like I am ready to be more public in displaying my tattoos, but come Monday morning when I get dressed for work, I feel like I've come back to reality and out comes the coverup wardrobe.

...Statistically, a good many of the people that you meet daily have art on their skin. Some may surprise you. I've found that visible ink encourages them to discuss theirs. I have yet to have anyone say a disparaging remark about mine...

That's cool. I like having a nice talk with other ladies about our tattoos. I feel a kinship.