Why hello there

Matthew Williams

Hey all. Joined this forum in hopes to educate myself before I get my first tattoo. I'm 30 years old now and it's something I've always wanted to do, but never got around to it.

I live in Portland now and I hear there's a lot of great artists out here. If you know one, or just live in hear yourself don't hesitate to let me know!

Anyway, it's nice meeting everyone : )

Welcome! We're surrounded by great shops and artists here in Portland. Lots of good stuff coming out of Art Work Rebels, Atlas, Lombard St., and Scapegoat to name just a few. If you let us know what you're thinking about getting we can steer you towards particular artists.

First off, welcome!

Secondly, what style of tattoo are you looking for? Traditional, floral, tribal, etc. Or do you want to be an open canvas for an artist? Thinking about these things can help you narrow down an artist you like. Also, it doesn't hurt to just go visit local shops and check out portfolio books. Talking to the shops can also help you.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

First off, welcome!

Secondly, what style of tattoo are you looking for? Traditional, floral, tribal, etc. Or do you want to be an open canvas for an artist? Thinking about these things can help you narrow down an artist you like. Also, it doesn't hurt to just go visit local shops and check out portfolio books. Talking to the shops can also help you.

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk

That's the tricky part, I'm looking for a style of tattoo that's kind of rare. (I was going to make a post once I unlocked the privilege) I don't have a particular image in mind, but I love the kind of black ink, geometric style of tattoo David Hale does. He's booked until the end of time apparently, so I'm not really sure who I could go to to get a piece like this done, or even just commission the design of one.

That's the tricky part, I'm looking for a style of tattoo that's kind of rare. (I was going to make a post once I unlocked the privilege) I don't have a particular image in mind, but I love the kind of black ink, geometric style of tattoo David Hale does. He's booked until the end of time apparently, so I'm not really sure who I could go to to get a piece like this done, or even just commission the design of one.

Yes, that can be tricky. I would print out some of the images you like and maybe take them to some shops near you, see if any artist is interested in creating something similar. It might be a little hard to find an artist who you like and who will also do something outside of their certain style. You may be able to at least find someone who does similar work, and they will give you their interpretation of it. Get some consultations done if possible, and then you cab see what artists might be willing to do.

Yes, that can be tricky. I would print out some of the images you like and maybe take them to some shops near you, see if any artist is interested in creating something similar. It might be a little hard to find an artist who you like and who will also do something outside of their certain style. You may be able to at least find someone who does similar work, and they will give you their interpretation of it. Get some consultations done if possible, and then you cab see what artists might be willing to do.

How much should I expect to pay for consulting or a design draft from a tattoo artist? I have a general idea of what the tattoo itself will cost, but I'm not sure what people pay for that kind of thing.

Check out Corey Crowley and Cheyenne Sawyer at Atlas Tattoo on N Albina. Let the artist design his or her own tattoo for you, but by all means bring in some favorites for reference.

Ooh ya. Corey Crowley is definitely close to what I'm looking for. I bookmarked him :)

Also since I started this post I found some tattoo parlors that I'm digging.

Scapegoat Tattoo

Forbidden Body Art

Icon

Anyone had an experience with any of the above?

Not certain, but would you be looking for "woodcut" style? I believe that most any tattooist that has strong line ability could do you a great job with that style.

I checked out woodcut. It's close, but not quite what I'm looking for. I like denser tattoos that are more on the heavy side for detail. You're right about the line ability, I'm pretty sure I can find an artist talented enough, I just have no idea how to get the design I want without stealing someone else's tattoo.

If you really want a David Hale tattoo I'd go for it. Could be worth the wait. A pal o mine has two by him. He can't be that impossible to book with. Why compromise?

I wish! It says on his site that he's no longer taking new clients, but you can subscribe to his newsletter in case it changes. Not sure how your friend got in to see him, but any tips would be great.

So if I'm understanding this correctly, you are finding it difficult to get an appointment with him but you haven't even asked him for one. We're not talking about getting tattooed by Greg Irons here.

Ha, ok ok. You make a good point. I'll shoot him an email or a tweet tomorrow and see what happens. Can't hurt to try right?

He's actually going to be in Portland this month, but he's only doing a limited selection of tattoos while visiting for some reason.

Call his shop (don't worry that you may end up speaking to an apprentice or receptionist). Better yet, if he is going to be near you, go by! If you invest your own time in trying to meet, you increase your chance (until you get weird, then the chances of arrest and restraining order increase).

Restraining order trips me up every time. Dammit.