First Tattoo !Need Advice!

swask

Hi,

I'm new to the community and wanted some advice concerning my first tattoo. The idea was to get the same tattoo, both my father and I, representing the strong bond between us. I've always been very fond of him. The issue is that I don't know where to start, can anyone suggest something?

greatly appreciated,

thanks

Welcome! I would start by finding a good artist in your area. If you let us know where you're located we can recommend some people.

As far as representing the bond between you two, you're completely wide open in terms of your choices. That you're both going to get the same tattoo, presumably together, speaks volumes about that bond and so I don't think it's necessary to try to force additional meaning into the tattoo. I tend to lean towards classic tattoo imagery so I could see something like a Homeward Bound clipper ship being a nice idea, but what appeals to you and your dad is really entirely up to you. If you have a shop nearby or within travelling distance that has nice, hand painted flash on the walls, you could pick something from the wall together. Lots of tattooers have sketchbooks full of designs they'd like to do, you both could go through one of those and find something you both like. The possibilities are nearly endless.

When my dad and I got tattooed together last year, we each chose different tattoos that appealed to us. The process of getting tattooed together was significant and memorable for us, even though we didn't choose the same aesthetic.

TLDR: get what you love, and enjoy the experience with your pops!

And welcome @swask!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome, swask! Very cool that you and your dad are getting tattoos together. What's his input on it? Or is he kind of leaving it up to you?

Also, I can't help myself here, but your name reminds me of a little term me and my girlfriend use. The term is swask, and it's an amalgamation of "sweaty ass crack." You know, like, "Damn, it's hot out here. I've got some serious swask going on."

I apologize to everyone.

Absolutely nothing wrong with picking something off the wall in a situation like this - a good shop has just about every subject you could think of hanging up. You could get two - eagles, anchors, baseballs, guitars, ladies, roses - the same design, or maybe two similar designs from the same sheet.

My son and I were looking at a hot pink Hot Stuff riding an alligator in Trader Bob's. We both agreed it was super sweet, and we almost got them.

Hot pink hot stuff

Riding an alligator

There are so many things you can do! Besides matching tattoos, you can do the same subject matter in different styles, two different tattoos with one common element, or father and son animals just to name a few. A few animals known for being paternal are Emperor Penguins, Wolves, Marmosets, Red Foxes, and great horned owls.

Fish are also very paternal from my own experience and make amazing tattoos because of their color variety and movement. Male betas care for their brood like mad and come in great colors.