Hello!

KRod

Hi guys, came here looking for advice on removal/cover up. I have a couple tattoos on my back that I got when I was 19/20 (I'm now 38). I'm getting new work on my arm next month, and I'd eventually like to incorporate the new arm piece with my back. The back tattoos don't really have any meaning, they were just something I picked off the wall when I was in college. So I'm wondering if the back tattoos are ok to cover, or if I'll need to look at partial or full laser removal before getting new work.

- - - Updated - - -

I guess attaching the photos would help.

Welcome! Sounds like you might already have an artist in mind for the arm. If you are thinking of extending, then talk to that person and ask their advice, unless you are planning to go elsewhere. If that is the case, check out some artists that you like, and then approach them with the question. They would be able to direct you better on what you might need to do first, based on the design you agree on. Good luck!

They seem quite faded. I kind of like the big cat on the wall - it could be redone, I'd think. If you want to go big, you could possibly cover both with something like wings or a full back. The real judge as @SeeSea said is the artist you choose. Some don't like or won't do cover-ups, but some do a lot of it.

Sent from my LePanII using Tapatalk 2

Thanks everyone. I know that some artists don't like doing cover-ups. In your experience, would an artist be honest and tell me that they aren't comfortable doing cover-ups or that the tattoos would be better off being removed with laser? The place I'm going for my arm has a great reputation and great artists, so I don't think I would have to worry about someone just telling me "yes," and taking my money and leaving me with a bad tattoo. Again, just like to have some idea before going and asking.