Thread Newbie with Filler/Shading Question

Ezra

Hey All,

New to the thread, but not ink, and was hoping to crowd source some ideas for filler/shading to link two tattoos together on my arm. They are both music lyrics and have definitive meanings outside the original content for me, so I'm not looking to add a bunch of hokie music notes or something in the background. Also, I'm not really concerned with linking the tats as much as I am closing out this section of my arm. I used two different phenomenal artists here in Dallas, TX where I live and I highly value their opinions. That said, I am pretty meticulous about what I want and like to get advice from a multitude of sources and inspirations before I go in and consult. Right now, I'm pretty stumped as to what would work. I do agree that the negative space isn't a negative so to speak and just slathering clouds, dots, stars, etc isn't always the most creative avenue. So, here I am and I'm open to any thoughts that the pro's (both artists and collectors) may have. Photos attached for reference.

Thanks All!

Ezra

Welcome!

"Closing out this section" of your arm? Not sure I understand your plans - are you trying to make this a quarter-sleeve and not tattoo any lower on your arm?

I agree throwing in stars or dots won't look great with these tattoos. I like it fine the way it is now. If you have phenomenal artists, I'd suggest talking to them. You don't have to do what they suggest.

My advice would be to talk to your artist and ask them for their input, too. You should never be afraid to consult your artist when the prospect of having work done is the subject matter - I have a half sleeve around my first tattoo (which was a reaper's head) that the artist free-handed onto my skin and then when we both agreed, he went to work on it and it came out just fantastic! If you have any ideas in mind, always try to communicate with your artist - you guys should be a team :)