hello from Canada/leg questions

fireshadow

Hello from Canada, Alberta specifically. I'm not new to tattoos, but I do have a question about leg tattoos. I had my right leg done a little over a year ago (11 hours single session), I of course shaved my legs like normal. But then was puzzled on how to shave them while it was healing. I don't like waxing, or typically use anything like Nair, but would that help with the healing and overall itchy of new hair poking out of the fresh tattoo? Second question. Any tips of the brutal blood rush with leg tattoos? I've got a handful of others that was nothing in comparison to how bad that one hurt. Horrible blood rush pain that lasted for about 3 weeks. Crippling pain. I'm getting my other leg done next month and just trying to prepare a little better for another large leg piece.

A bit about me, I'm a big nerd, tons of reptiles. And have a small collection of tattoos, hopefully will have both legs completely filled then work on filling in shoulders and arms.

Not just the itch, but the fact that new hairs are trying to poke through the scab, feels like this might be a reason it has scanned worse for me on my leg last time. Plus, people always ask to see my tattoo, and having patches of fur tends to take away from the 'look'.

I wouldn't shave while healing, just deal with the itching. I have recently finished a backpiece which extended to above the knees so had to have ass and thighs shaved quite a few times during the process. I don't have an apes ass and thighs but enough to be shaved every time. I drive a fair amount for my job so the sitting sucked but there was no way I wouldn't shave or use Nair etc on a healing tattoo. It might suck for a few weeks dealing with the itching but once healed you have a lifetime of great art once you get through it.

I am looking to start my legs in the near future, definitely not looking forward to knee area from what everyone says and you haven't helped with this post. :) In my head the further away from the brain you get the less it should hurt. Is why I did the upper body 1st. Sounds like I really don't have any concept on how the human body works. :)

I don't know if my input is as helpful as you're looking for, but I have my head tattooed and I shave regularly. By regularly I mean every two or three days. I shaved the day I got tattooed just to speed up the process so my artist didn't have to spend time doing it. After that I waited three weeks just to make sure the tattoo was fully healed before shaving again. As for itching I just dealt with it. It was only bad the first four or five days but the itch goes away. And don't worry about the hair growing through the tattoo, that's just normal. Just let your body heal before shaving again. Any tattoo I have that required more than one session needed to be fully healed before moving onto the next session. Shaving or waxing can really affect your new tattoo in a negative way since it's still a fresh, open wound.

And I think that might be a reason you suffer so much pain. 11 hours in one sitting is a lot of trauma to the skin. The longest I went on my lower leg(below the knee) was 3 hours and I had similar effects when I stood up or walked around. So I can only imagine how bad it was with a such a large tattoo.

I hope everyone's input was helpful! And good luck on your next leg tattoo!!

I found that using Saniderm on my healing leg helped a lot with the blood-rush feeling. Obviously, take your artist's aftercare advice, though. (The downside is that a lot of liquid collects under the Saniderm, so if you do get the OK to use it, you might have to change it a couple times to avoid leaking). Putting a bag of frozen peas on there helps, too. I basically tried to remember RICE (rest, ice, compression, elevation).

I just rock the leg hair over a healing tattoo for about a month.

Last 3 posts where extremely helpful. Thanks guys! My next leg tattoo is going to be about 7-9 hours estimated. Plus I'll be getting the other leg touched up. Since it did scab pretty bad. I hear a different lotion to try each time, and definitely didn't like that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Since I can't start another thread. Anyone have any tips on showing people your tattoo that might offend someone? Such as one that might have pride colored in it? I always where clothes that let me over all my tattoos. But people that know I'm going to get one done almost always want to see it. I work in a culturally diverse place, and adore my job and the people. But I know some do not accept that lifestyle. Not sure how to play off something like that or politely decline. My tattoo isn't going to be obvious, but the color scheme will be pride colors.

I really like just air drying my tattoos. Wash it two or three times a day for the first couple days, then just once a day after that until it heals. I used to use Aquaphor and at one point I really liked Tattoo Goo but the problem I had, and too many other people have, is using too much of the product on accident. Any lotion or cream should be kept to a minimum , just enough to moisten the tattooed area. With that said, I'm not a tattooer just a collector and everyone's body heals a different way. And generally the person making the tattoo for you has the best advice.

To answer your question about showin it off just be honest with anyone you might think it will offend. I have a cobra with a burning cross and I also have a bearded devil lady with an upside cross on her forehead. A lot of people will ask to see "That sick cobra" or "The bearded devil bitch" but if I think anyone around us might be offended by it I will try to do it out of eyesight. I live in the south and a lot of people down here don't want to see anti-religious imagery. A favourite trick I use is to text or email them a picture or give them a link to my Facebook so they can view it privately since you're obviously not best friends with all your coworkers. I hope that helps!

My first thigh tattoo, I had horrible whooshing for quite a while. With my second, none at all. The second time around, I iced it the evening of, the next day and periodically after that. I also used Tegaderm the second time. I for sure recommend the ice, and only recommend Tegaderm if you are sure sure sure you won't react badly to it. Ask me how I know.

I agree with all the other don't shave until fully healed comments. It's winter, who cares?

Hi, and welcome, from the west coast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My shin was done in one shot (ankle to knee - it's big). The tattooer was guesting from a long way away so it was kind of necessary to do a longer sitting. It was a tough heal. My advice would be to break that monster session into smaller sessions if it's possible.