Jaw, Meet Floor

sophistre

I have never seen a thread for this anywhere on the forums, but sometimes I see a tattoo somewhere and it makes me go OH MY GOD THAT IS SO AMAZING and I want to share it with you guys, but since it isn't mine, I can't put it in the Lowdown thread. So, I thought I would make a thread for posting pictures of killer tattoos that don't belong to us, just to share them and 'oooooh, ahhhhh' over them.

...As I type this I'm realizing that probably 6 out of 10 rad tattoos I see on instagram turn out to belong to somebody here, so maybe this is redundant, but oh well! If it dies, it dies. :)

And I'm going to contribute something, because my regular tattooer just did a thing that made my eyeballs pop out of my head, and inspired me to make the thread in the first place, because I needed people to squee about it with.

Picture on greggletron's instagram

and, video: And here's a video.

Not a bad idea for a thread. I could see this getting out of hand, in a good way.

My jaw hits the floor with every single Jondix backpiece. And I've only seen pictures of them on the internet. I'm sure my eyes would explode if I saw one in person.

I have the same feeling about any large piece by Calle at King Carlos tattoo in Stockholm. I mean, this is an inhuman level of talent:

https://instagram.com/p/5mXWDoGJww/

The first tattoo I ever saw that had that effect on me was this incredible hannya by Mike Rubendall. It still amazes me. It's probably the first tattoo that made me realize the possibilities within tattooing.

Also that Viking head is incredible. I saw it on instagram the other day and it definitely made me stop and put my eyes back in my head.

I love this idea.

...just did a thing that made my eyeballs pop out of my head, and inspired me to make the thread in the first place...

I've been bugging out on that tattoo since it was posted! Insane! I've been in the mood to plan most of my work with a few local artists (spoiled in Oakland), but tattoos like that make me seriously reconsider!

Gakkin and Guy Le Tatooer...the heavy black bodysuits are blowing my mind. Especially the recent one that Guy Le Tattooer is working on that French gal, with the dots, ornaments and big peonies. The layering is crazy, the results are beautiful.

Those peonies, in particular, are NUTS. That is an absolutely mind blowing suit.

Gakkin and Guy Le Tatooer...the heavy black bodysuits are blowing my mind. Especially the recent one that Guy Le Tattooer is working on that French gal, with the dots, ornaments and big peonies. The layering is crazy, the results are beautiful.

I enjoy looking at his in-progress stuff, but I wish he would take the dark filters off of his shots, because it makes stuff really hard to see. :(

I'm going to stick to things I've seen in person, but tattoos by the following have always been astonishing when I've seen them:

Filip Leu

Chris Trevino

Henning

Mike Roper

Plenty of others too, but those four really stand out as being especially memorable. Instagram is cool and all that but for large scale stuff you need to see it in person to get the full impact.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to add Matt Arriola to that list thanks to @Avery Taylor and his wife Kim. They both have staggering work from him that they were nice enough to show me.

I'm going to stick to things I've seen in person, but tattoos by the following have always been astonishing when I've seen them:

Filip Leu

Chris Trevino

Henning

Mike Roper

Plenty of others too, but those four really stand out as being especially memorable. Instagram is cool and all that but for large scale stuff you need to see it in person to get the full impact.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to add Matt Arriola to that list thanks to @Avery Taylor and his wife Kim. They both have staggering work from him that they were nice enough to show me.

Thanks man. We can't wait to see that new backpiece or yours in person, and to meet Miles for the first time. Hopefully you guys will make it out this way before too long.

Im in total agreement that pretty pictures on a screen can't compare to the real thing (although I sure love to look at those too). Here's my biggest jaw-meet-floor experience so far:

My wife and I had the opportunity to go to the opening of the Perserverance show in LA (she requested to go for her birthday. The things I have to put up with...). That was heavy.

At the reception before opening day there were a ton of people with insane suits and back pieces just mingling. I saw a few of Chris Brand's 108 Heros of Los Angeles backs and some suits from Shige up-close-and-personal. Holy shit: their work is on a different level!!

The next day in the auditorium they presented a seemingly endless parade of people with pieces that were featured in the exhibit. It was nuts. Total sensory overload. Pretty sure I needed a bib. I can say very confidently the experience changed me. Powerful stuff!

On the off chance that anyone involved with that production is reading this, THANK YOU!!!