Introduction- One tattoo and unfortunately I don't like it

annamageddon

QqZ9R00

Hi everyone! My name is Annie and I'm a 25 year old located in Minnesota. I have one tattoo and unfortunately I'm not a big fan of it. I think it doesn't look right with my complexion and it's just not what I wanted. I wanted a feminine beautiful tattoo. I'm thinking that maybe if I add color to this tattoo it could soften it up and make it more to my liking. Does anyone have any advice or input? This picture was taken immediately after I got the tattoo so it has lightened up quite a bit.

Edit: Here is a link to an image of my tattoo: http://imgur.com/QqZ9R00 for some reason it appears to not be working above.

Thanks so much!

Annie

Awesome tattoo! I have a black and grey back tattoo also and although I kinda know what you mean feeling like it is less feminine, I try to think of it as classic.

As for adding to it and adding color, only you can truly know what you want.

I think its beautiful.

Thanks! That makes me feel better. I'm wondering now if I could do something colorful behind it? Or maybe I just need another tattoo.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome tattoo! I have a black and grey back tattoo also and although I kinda know what you mean feeling like it is less feminine, I try to think of it as classic.

As for adding to it and adding color, only you can truly know what you want.

Thanks! I appreciate the input. I'm just white as a ghost and it doesn't feel wispy and girly the way I had hoped. Would it be possible to lighten it up a lot or make it really colorful?

- - - Updated - - -

I think that looks great as is, but obviously your opinion is the one that matters most. Don't really see how you could add color to it, aside from maybe adding flowers or something around it.

I like your idea about adding something behind it! I wonder what would look cool.

Jeez from the intro I was expecting something terrible. I like it a lot. It will lighten up and settle in naturally over time. What you need to do is get more good tattoos!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks I appreciate the input. It's good to know that everyone thinks it's well executed. That does help but in my opinion it's still not what I wanted. I wanted something delicate and feminine and this just isn't that. I think the fact that it's my first tattoo and I've critiqued the crap out of it isn't helping though.

I think it looks nice as well, but like people have said previously, your opinion is the only one that matters. Did you like the look when it was stenciled and just didn't like how it transferred to your skin? I'm sure you could go to an artist and explain what you were looking for and they could draw up some addition to the piece that would hopefully make you happy!

I think it looks nice as well, but like people have said previously, your opinion is the only one that matters. Did you like the look when it was stenciled and just didn't like how it transferred to your skin? I'm sure you could go to an artist and explain what you were looking for and they could draw up some addition to the piece that would hopefully make you happy!

Unfortunately I offended the artist by coming in with my list of critiques for the tattoo. He made a small touch up but it was insignificant and didn't help. Yes I looked at the stencil and I didn't like it. He made a few changes to it and I (and sorry to be redundantly negative here) but I think they made it even worse. After seeing the overwhelmingly positive feedback here on this forum I'm trying to change my mind about the tattoo. Maybe I do just need to get another one or get over it. It seems weird to me now to have one big tattoo on my back and nothing else.

I'm sorry for being sort of negative about the tattoo. I like tattoos so much on everyone else but for some reason I don't like this one on myself.

I appreciate the feedback!

Annie

- - - Updated - - -

I like it too.

Where did you get it? Lot's of choices in Minnesota these days.

Thanks! I got it from John Von Glahn while he was working at Broken Hearts Tattoo Club, as far as I know he is still located there. I think he's a great artist and I followed him for a long time before I got the appointment.

- - - Updated - - -

I have to add my voice to the chorus - I also think this is a pretty great tattoo that works very nicely.

Thank you Mark! It's good to know that other people like the way it looks.

What you need to do is get more good tattoos!

The tattoo is beautiful!

But also, the quoted advice above is the best advice ever, and I know from personal experience. I got a tattoo I wasn't thrilled with, and as soon as I got tattoos around it, I kinda made my peace with it. Seriously -- it works. :)

Hey welcome! As everyone said already, it's a good tattoo! You don't mention in which way it's different from what you envisioned, so I guess you're not quite sure yourself. Maybe it's the fact that it's quite straight and not very...curvy?

In any case, I wouldn't try to change this one but rather add more around it. Something along the lines of vines, butterflies, birds, or even just more flowers perhaps.

If you're not happy with the communication with your tattooer, don't go back. People on this board will be more than happy to recommend someone in your area. And remember, there is no rush!

Hey welcome! As everyone said already, it's a good tattoo! You don't mention in which way it's different from what you envisioned, so I guess you're not quite sure yourself. Maybe it's the fact that it's quite straight and not very...curvy?

In any case, I wouldn't try to change this one but rather add more around it. Something along the lines of vines, butterflies, birds, or even just more flowers perhaps.

If you're not happy with the communication with your tattooer, don't go back. People on this board will be more than happy to recommend someone in your area. And remember, there is no rush!

Thank you so much! I'm so happy I decided to post on this forum. It's made me feel so much better to hear so many people tell me that it really is a good tattoo. I did quite a bit of research and I do think that the artist I went to is very good. I wanted a delicate, feminine tattoo and I feel like the black and grey is kind of harsh. I'm wondering now if adding some sort of color behind it could look cool. I'm not sure. Now after posting I'm thinking of other tattoo ideas as well :P

Thank you again.

Annie

I don't usually feel it's my place to offer advice on here, but I also got kinda spooked after my first tattoo and would like to suggest that you don't hurry to change or add to this one...you might find that you feel very differently about it in a couple months. Maybe getting an unrelated tattoo that you feel really good about might give you some perspective on how to add to your rose later on. It's just that getting tattooed is way too much fun to focus on compensating for one you don't like right at the start. Hope this isn't condescending or out of line.

It is "stark" though I wouldn't say it's harsh. Obviously it's your call but since you're asking for opinions, I think it's very feminine and quite pretty. I was a bit iffy about some of the details of my first (and only) tattoo but I've learned to love it and its imperfections. You will too! Do you have a healed picture?