Milton Zeis project

sboyer

Hello, My partner Kayla and I are teaming up to put together a Milton Zeis book. Its going to be a biography with examples of his machines, catalogs, books, commercial flash ect. We are in the process of researching and gathering source material right now and I was just curious if anyone had info or material they would like to contribute. Our goal with this book is to preserve his legacy for those that have come after him. We also want to have an accurate resource for people interested in his life and work and provide solid reference material for tattooers/collectors. Please contact me if you have any info regarding Zeis that you like to contribute. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

This Project has really progressed since I first started. I am shooting for a fall/winter release. We have a lot of great tattooers on board doing repaints of commercial Zeis flash and a few machine builders doing modern takes on Zeis machines. I am giving this book everything I have. I promise it will be worth checking out.

Yes, that book has been a great resource for info. This book would not have been possible without Chuck Eldridge and Dana Brunson. So many people have been very helpful in piecing together everything. Right now I think we are close to having all the material needed for the book but we are still trying to track down any photographs of Zeis (they are hard to come by). One thing we really need is an original copy of a Zeis supply catalog. The one I have is a copy and I want to scan a few things off the OG catalog. If anyone has one you would be willing to loan me for use in the book please contact me. Here is a small list of artists (not all, still working out the details) that are contributing paintings of commercial flash sold by Zeis.

Scott Sylvia

Theo Mindell

Scott Harrison

Chad Koeplinger

Jason Brooks

Robert Ryan

Timothy Hoyer

Mike Wilson

Tim Lehi

Nick Colella

Valerie Vargas

Stewart Robson

Bryan Burk

Steve Byrne

Tony Hundahl

Nick Rodin

Jay Chastain

Danny Reed

Shag

Cory Lenherr

Aaron Coleman

Jay Chastain

Thomas Morgan

Charlie Roberts

and a bunch more...

Again its humbling how many people have been willing to help with this project. Zeis's influence on the tattoo world is much greater than I had expected. I hope we can do him justice and preserve his legacy for others.

Don't you think you should GET some traditional tattoos before you try to write a book on the subject??

Your line-up of contributors sucks. I watch Miami Ink A LOT, and I haven't even heard of ONE of those people. Utterly fails the tattoo cool test. You probably don't even drink. What are you, vegan?

Um, wanna make a TV show about the book?

Don't you think you should GET some traditional tattoos before you try to write a book on the subject??

Your line-up of contributors sucks. I watch Miami Ink A LOT, and I haven't even heard of ONE of those people. Utterly fails the tattoo cool test. You probably don't even drink. What are you, vegan?

Um, wanna make a TV show about the book?

glad you approve pete. maybe we should offer a limited number of books sign by you, or maybe the first 100 include a glossy head shot of "the greatest tattoo collector on earth"

Flying to Rockford Il at the end of may to interview Zeis's Daughter Joanne. Joanne and her husband ran the supply business for a period of time after Zeis passed away and then sold the remaining stock to Lyle Tuttle for his museum. I am honored to speak with Joanne and I am excited as her input will add a level of depth to the book. I can't wait.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...