Avoiding scars when healing forearm tattoos?

ThatGuy

A couple of months ago I had the inside of my forearm tattooed. Healing it was a bitch and despite taking as much care as I could, I ended up getting some scars and colour loss. I was tattooed at a convention with an artist who travels a lot, so unfortunately having it touched up really isn't an option.

Anyway, in a few weeks I will be getting my other forearm tattooed so I'm basically looking for tips on how to avoid this happening again.

ruFyQ1u.jpg

i've heard really good things about saniderm - quicker healing time, more flexible under the clothes etc. the only thing some people mention is slight allergy if you have sensitive skin. might be worth checking out this thread http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-after-care/4486-has-anyone-tried-saniderm-yet-totally-amazing-stuff.html

getting my forearm tattooed in a month too so might give it a go! nice piece by the way

Hey there, I know your pain. I've had tough heals on a few tattoos, seems to be part of the game... I have been using what I think of as @BrianH 's technique of re-wrapping the tattoo. I wear the initial bandage for up to 8 hours, then rinse the tattoo 3 times with uncomfortably warm water (to get as much of the extra ink, plasma and greasy ointment off as possible). Pat it or let it air dry for up to an hour, then re-wrap with clean plastic wrap. This is repeated for the first 24-32 hours or if I think there will be major clothing friction. I've healed my last 6 sessions this way with no scabs, just sunburn style flaking around the 48 hour mark.

I'm totally sold on this rather cumbersome but effective technique!

Best of luck, and remember, you are actually the only one who stares at your tattoo enough to notice the healing defects anyway.

both my forearm tattoos were long healers

they are both inside forearm pieces that wrap a little to the outside

it seems like the outside edges were where i scabbed the worst

i think its because at 44 years old those areas have experienced some abuse

the skin texture / wear are remarkably different from the outside to the inside

sometimes its just what happens

i heal all my tattoos the same basically

not a dry heal but pretty minimalist in terms of care

some heal real quick - some not

alot in between

i think location is a huge factor for me

but like has been said

dont le the imperfections of said tatt bum you out

you are probably the only one who notices

plus all tattoos have imperfections

who cares - there is so much more to them than that right

btw - to the OP - that piece looks dope

I have been using what I think of as @BrianH 's technique of re-wrapping the tattoo.

Thanks for the advice. I will definitely look into that. All my tattoos up until now have been completely dry healed, and this is the first time I've had scars form. Not a huge deal, just want to prevent it from happening with the next one.

both my forearm tattoos were long healers

Yeah it's definitely an area that is difficult to keep still. Basically, every time I twisted my arm the scab broke slightly.

• 4 weeks later...
Prevent any drying out and resulting scabs during the first few days of after care will help prevent scaring. It is important to let the tattoo (AKA: abrasion wound) heal from the inside out. This is where the protective membranes like douderm and saniderm come in to play.

yep this is spot on. just had the inside forearm tattooed from halfway up into the ditch and was recommended a 4 day wet heal with rewrapping like the one described by @mtlsam . decided not to go with saniderm because the idea of not being able to clean it for 3-4 days kind of spooks me

I just healed a sacred heart on the top of the inside of my forearm. I used aquaphor every day from the day after the tattoo was done until it healed. Took about 2 weeks. (but I have friends who say aquaphor heals them in a week) I lost some ink because I picked at it, but all the other areas healed just fine. Only thing is aquaphor healing is a bitch, as its always wet, so its very sensitive and tender because there is no scab to protect it.

I got 2 tattoos the same day by the same artist, one healed with aquaphor and the other dry healed, and I had more colour loss with the dry healed tattoo. So aquaphor is worth a try if you dont mind the negative aspects of it.

I used saniderm for 4 days after my recent tattoos. I removed the original wrap after 5 hours since it was leaking out. After washing with Hibiclens Antiseptic/Antimicrobial Skin Cleanser and air drying, I put on saniderm overnight and replaced it the next day with another saniderm after washing. It worked great and never stank or became infected. I use aquaphor after that until it is healed.

The cool thing about membranes is that they don't stick to the inked sections of skin since it is weeping. Removal is a bit scary at first because it does stick to every skin break and gap in and near the tattoo. I slowly remove it in the shower and all is fine.