Hello from North Carolina!

AtAllCosts

I'm sure these posts come a dime a dozen, so I'll keep it short and sweet.

I'm a 23 year old Soldier stationed in North Carolina. Really I'm here to abuse the artistic talents of artists found on the wonder world wide web. I have a specific tattoo idea I was looking to get some insight on, but I'll play by the rules here. Ten posts, an understandable rule. But, if you're willing to save me the trouble, I don't think there is any rules against PMs? So if you're interested in hearing my plea, please, feel free to shoot me a message.

Other than that, I've only got one tattoo, looking to get my second. I have way too much time on my hands until March, when I go to my next big training scene. I'll help out here however I can, even if that may only be an honest opinion where it's asked for.

Regards,

Mike

There are many good artists in NC and Virginia. Discuss your ideas with some of them and see if it works out between you. Check their work. Not just word-of-mouth from others, but actually look at their photos and sketches. Then get a great tattoo! (and another, and....)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you guys, I went on a bit of leave and just got back on Saturday.

My only other tattoo is just a quote in my father's handwriting. It's a really simple tattoo without any art to it, so it might be a bit silly to post here. That being said that's why I'm putting so much effort into this next tattoo; it'll be my first real piece of art and it will take up the remainder of free space on my chest and right shoulder.

Like I said, I have nothing on paper, but I've discussed with a few artists what they can do about that. Some say they won't draw anything without huge deposits (not against it, but they're also booked until March) and others would rather I come to them and they'll draw it on me (also not against it, but those artists work hours away from me, and what happens if I don't like what they drew on me?). It seems like I'm having trouble finding an artist that I one, like and believe is capable of bringing my idea to life, and two, is local enough for me to interact easily with.

That being said, I'll keep my idea short. I was a suicide survivor last winter, only via the help of my family. A phoenix is supposed to represent a rebirth; a second chance. I picture a bright red phoenix, somehow incorporating a shield with my family crest on it (maybe in the phoenix's talons?). It'll stretch from my sternum, to my right shoulder, maybe the tail travelling over my shoulder or down my arm. It's really just a loose idea right now, but I think I want a little bit of artist interpretation. I want the artist to be passionate about it, because this is important to me.

Any and all thoughts are welcome and thanks for your time, ladies and gents.

I'd suggest you keep looking until you and an artist "fit". I had one artist hold off on showing a sketch until the day of. I had "tattoo fever" and went with it. Big mistake. It doesn't have to be the final design, but at least a good general idea of placement and look. Ask how much and what kind of shading, and color schemes. There are lots of phoenix tattoos out there, and you can search for one that really is a good general idea of your desires.

1MgGD9X.jpg A quick google search yielded this. This is almost exactly what I'm looking for, but with A LOT of color and a little more attention to the face/beak. The shield could be worked in under the beak or center chest. Maybe add a little bit of fire so people will grasp the concept of a phoenix.

You know how you this is the one? When you're so excited you can't help it.

Question... I had a conversation with a member here about tattoo "style." I had thought that a realistic bird was what I wanted, but I really LOVE the look of this sort of style. What kind of style is this?