Does anyone have Immovable?

Seriously, has anyone picked up a copy of Immovable? I am trying to justify buying it and want to know a little more about it.

@Graeme I also enjoy the little goodies they always pack with each order. They and Chuck are really good people. If you can ever get down to Winston-Salem, it's really worth a visit to the archive.

Oh yeah there was all kinds of cool stuff in there: a great button, stickers, business cards, including one for the shop dog (gotta get business cards for my dog because dog business cards are fucking AWESOME) and a nice little note. I met her at the Montreal convention last year and she was super cool and I hope they're back this year. I missed a seminar about sailor tattoos that Chuck gave because I was getting tattooed myself. I'd love to visit the archive if I'm ever around there.

I just got my copy of Stab City in the mail last friday, really awesome stuff in there, definitely worth checking out. Also, Scorpion Front just put The Great Unknown on sale ($140!) to get rid of their last 100 copies so if you were thinking about picking that one up now's the time.

FWIW - I'm reading some books on traditional Japanese tattooing -

Wabori, Traditional Japanese Tattoo: Classic Japanese tattoos from the masters.

Okazaki, Manami

and

Bushido: Legacies of the Japanese Tattoo

Kitamura, Takahiro

and

Studying Horiyoshi III: A Westerner's Journey Into the Japanese Tattoo (Schiffer Book) (No. 3)

Mandelbaum, Jill

I bought all these books on Amazon and for a beginner they offer many avenues for more research and enjoyment. The photography in all 3 is very good as well as some of the commentary but the artists.

The Wabori book is excellent if a little pricey. I've borrowed Bushido from the local library (twice!) I wonder if Jill Mandelbaum and Jill Bonny are one in the same. Also the Perseverance catalog is a steal at 20 bucks from the JANM website -- and the exhibit is amazing if you can get out to LA!

The Wabori book is excellent if a little pricey. I've borrowed Bushido from the local library (twice!) I wonder if Jill Mandelbaum and Jill Bonny are one in the same. Also the Perseverance catalog is a steal at 20 bucks from the JANM website -- and the exhibit is amazing if you can get out to LA!

Ha ha! Jill Bonny, Jill Mandelbaum, Jill Halpin, and Horiyuki are all one and the same.

Tattoo names, Japanese tattoo titles, pen/maiden and married names. Lots of names. But as she once said to me, though, people still manage to find and get tattoos from her.

Which btw, I just set up a new consult next week to start something new. Can't wait!

Ha ha! Jill Bonny, Jill Mandelbaum, Jill Halpin, and Horiyuki are all one and the same.

Tattoo names, Japanese tattoo titles, pen/maiden and married names. Lots of names. But as she once said to me, though, people still manage to find and get tattoos from her.

Which btw, I just set up a new consult next week to start something new. Can't wait!

Noice! What are you getting?

Noice! What are you getting?

Not. A. clue.

Actually I'm hoping Jill can help me narrow it down to what works best with what I already have. I think I'll go munewari style though. So far I narrowed it down to:

1) Paired Tennyo

2) Dueling Tengu

3) Myth of Izanami-no-Mikoto & Izangi-no-Mikoto (Shinto creation of Japan story).

4) Myth of the god Susanoo-no-Mikoto battling Yamata no Orochi (8 headed/8 tailed dragon).

5) 2 Deities. No idea which but peaceful soothing looking ones rather than aggressive Myo-o type. My Shinto/Buddhist diety knowledge sucks.

6) Pairing 2 (of 4) armor clad Heavenly Kings, buddhist protectors of the 4 directions. Similar to the Chinese dragon, phoenix, tiger, tortoise/snake idea. I already have a dragon (east) and a phoenix (south) on my arms so possibly Tamonten (Bishamonten), Guardian of the North & Komokuten, Guardian of the West.

7) A solitary Bishamonten incarnation as Tobatsu Bishamonten depicted in the 3 headed 10 armed version riding atop a lion but how that would work in munewari format, I'm not sure.

Of course I could just go full torso (but with no background) with Tobatsu Bishamonten or Yamato-no-Orochi. How cool would that be to have an 8-headed dragon chest piece! Boom!!!

There's probably one other idea I'm forgetting right now but after she rolls her eyes at my indecisiveness, I'm hoping Jill can say,"These work, those don't, I really like this one the best.". She didn't much like my original subject thoughts because she felt it would dilute the strength of my back piece subject.

Haha. That reminds me of our conversation at the museum, @Lance. When I read your first post on this page, I thought you had decided. Of course you haven't. And I'm sure you're right: Jill will sort it all out and you'll end up with something incredible.

Ha ha! Of course I have no clue @hogg. Best leave it to the professionals.

Hey, speaking of museum talks do you know if this artist, Jun Chihara (junchihara on IG), has anything to do with Koji Ichimaru )kojiichimaru on IG)? Both reside in Europe, although different countries, but I feel they have similar styles.

Ed Hardy’s new book at his Museum and Afterlife Volume 2 are out. The timing is terrible and my wallet hates me but, I ordered Afterlife and got a friend to go pick up a copy of Ed’s book.

The Ed Hardy show at the de Young museum is INCREDIBLE. I'm going back ASAP. Absolutely incredible. The exhibition catalog is on sale in the gift shop along with a bunch of other books like Beyond Skin and Kahlil's volume of Drawings for Tattoos. Bring your whole paycheck.