Hi from Italy

jadore

Hey there,

I've been lurking this forum for a couple of days but finally decided to create a profile and starting writing in this nice forum. I'm quite a newbie in the wonderful world of ink and skins, forgive my sometimes sloppy English but I'm originally from Italy, 27 years old living in the North-East (same city of an amazing Italian tattoo artist).

I don't have any tattoo yet but I have booked one which will happen in a couple of weeks, I'm really happy about my decision but still a little bit concerned by the fact that the artist has chosen not to send me a previous sketch but in the e-mail exchange we had he stated that he will do the drawing on the same day of the work. Since it's my first tattoo I'm not completely sure if I'm satisfied with my idea and think that it would be easier for me if I would see a couple of options for this work.

Here a little description of my tattoo idea, hope you don't get too judgemental or thinks it's too hipsterish for your taste:

It basically should be an italian coffee machine spilling a stream of pomegranates and below the coffee machine a skull is placed like in a vanitas. The tattoo would be placed on the upper part of my leg.

Do you think I should request a pre-sketch of my idea or should I just go the appointment and trust the tattoer? Since we live in different cities and I already booked the train to his city, I would be disappointed if I would see we couldn't find an agreement on the project. Also if I would happen not to like his sketch, we would both feel under pressure for the wasted time and for the necessity to find another solution in a couple of hours.What do you guys think?

Thanks for your advices!

J.

Hello, and welcome. The tattooer will likely have a sketch ready for you once you arrive, and you can sort out any details there before you get tattooed. Remember that not all ideas will necessarily translate into a good tattoo, so your artist may take some liberties in order to give you the best tattoo he/she can. If you have already discussed the concept with the artist, you will probably be fine and end up with a tattoo you both are happy with. Post pictures when it's done - we love pictures!

Ciao and welcome!

+1 on what el twe said. I don't believe any time spent on finalizing the art for your tattoo is wasted time, even if nothing develops. Minutes or hours are nothing compared to having something that doesn't work or you dislake on your skin for the rest of your life.

I know you would be disappointed if you and your artist can't agree on something, but go into this with confidence in them and with an open mind, then decide or collaborate on any alterations.

Yes, I'm really happy with my initial concept and I truly like the work of the artist, so I'm almost sure I will not get disappointed. I guess doing the first tattoo is a little bit like losing virginity or jumping from an high diving-board, you make a lot of thoughts about it, there's always this dialectic between regretting and not regretting the design but then I guess the more you get tattoed the easier is for you to get a new one. Looking forward to publish here the picture of the work in a couple of weeks!

• 3 weeks later...

We discussed with the artist, Luca Font and decided that another element such as as skull which is round would overcharge the image and putting two round element at the base of an object resembling a column would create the form of a penis. So he put a little number 1 at the base of the moka. I like this tattoo because it's simple, clean, well-placed, has the power of an advertisement being well balanced and reminds of Russian poster-avantgarde for the geometric aspect. I also like the fact that is not overcharged with colour but colour is placed only when it's needed, to emphasize the shape of an object: the metal glimpse of the light on the Moka and the shade of the pomegranate.