Looking for some ideas

If I were searching for the honour tattoo design, I would pick something less obvious, maybe something we had loved doing together or they had been passionate about. Something that symbolizes them rather than names.

My friend has stylized portraits of her parents in oval frames on her feet, looks very nice.

I agree with @LadySparrow . It might be worth going for something that you feel represents them rather than a more obvious portrait. Like activities you used to do together or a gift they once gave you. That way it means something to you but isn't so obvious as a commemoration.

If you get something more obvious like a portrait I wouldn't get it somewhere really visible unless you are okay with talking about them or their passing away all the time as you may get asked about it a fair bit. My friend has a tattoo on her leg to commemorate her stepbrother who passed away. It's really unusual and doesn't make sense unless she tells the story and it's really visible. She gets a tired of telling that story to be honest so I would probably go for something symbolic.

Just a few thoughts. I'm sure if you take a few ideas to a good artist you will be able to get something beautiful, symbolic and personal to you.

Agreed. It doesn't have to be glaringly obvious to anyone but you. For example, my mom always had this purple porcelain flower on a bookshelf in our house as a young kid. I got a small bunch of lilacs on my leg as a little tribute.

Haha, she also used to have a ton of little pig statues around the house. I thought about getting the traditional Sailor Jerry pig design with a mom banner, but thought that it might send a weird message. I went with flowers instead.

I have a strawberry plant for my mom. I think I'll have a thistle for my Dad someday. They aren't memorial tattoos, though. I'm sorry for your loss.

Around here, the walls are filled with lots of memorial designs. There isn't anything wrong with some flash you like plus names / initials. Parents and your own children are exempt from the "no names" tattoo rules, IMO.