Tipping Question

KRod

I know that tipping varies around the world, and even state to state in the US. I'm in NY and starting my sleeve tomorrow. I'm definitely going to tip, the question is whether to tip after each session or to wait until the end. I looked at some old threads, but couldn't find an answer. Sorry if it's been asked before and I just couldn't find it. Thanks!

I am in the Mid-West. I tip after each session. Unless you have booked out your entire piece, this artist has no idea if you will be back or not.So he might think he just got stiffed. Also, I think if you tip, especially after the first session, it shows respect for the artist, which they will appreciate and remember next time you come in.

I agree, every session. It will all work out the same in the end anyway. Like, if you're tipping 20% each time, why not just tip every time?

I'll just say I'm an American living in the UK and I still tip "like an American" - I can't help it, it's so ingrained. Plus I love the reactions of cab drivers and hairdressers etc who aren't used to being tipped much, if at all.

• 1 month later...

I just got my first tattoo, and I didn't even know that tattoo artists customarily got tipped here until someone mentioned it here.

Then, the guy who actually did my tattoo was British. And I'm pretty sure he'd been here for awhile, but he seemed a bit startled that I tipped him.

Just a completely awkward experience there. More so since I do most things awkwardly.

• 3 weeks later...

I usually try and get some type of gift for the artist. Like one artist I got a machine made for him as it was my 5 time with artist.

But if it's my only time with the artists I'll tip cash. One artist was from Europe so I tipped him in Euros just because I don't know how payment systems work between artists and shops. I was scared if i tipped him, the shop would take a cut of tip. So i figure if i tip him in Euros, he could play it off like "I didn't get tipped" or something.

As an artist in the UK I can say that tipping is not expected (certainly not by myself or my colleagues), but it is always appreciated whether it's a bit of cash or a present. If I'm being tattooed myself I'll either bring a small present or a bit of cash. I understand that getting tattooed is an expensive undertaking after all.

MY homeboy does most of my work so I just give him what he asks for & sometimes I pay infull for a tattoo I haven't gotten yet.He got pissed because I went somewhere elSe for a tattoo but it wasn't my trip.The artist quoted me super high on a tattoo that I wantEd.I used to go to the shop but the artist I used was no longer there and the guys there no longer knew me as my friend was doing all of my work. so I had with him and got him to a price that he was happy with and I was too. the reason I believe he quoted me high is because he didn't know if you would ever see me again. so when it was done I gave him a tip. he was very appreciative and we took some pics as he had never done one of these before. I'm getting ready to get a bunch more work done and I would like to use him again but my friend is just as good & at one point I was getting 1,000 $ pieces for 200 bucks. after he saw the other guys tattooed me I still gotta break in price,he was doing some work on my old lady at the time & kept asking her how come I didn't come to him. When I go to him .Im actually bringing him A hand full of cash and saying do whatever you want to do. because he has some killer ideas I wantEd a full head tattoo.Like where it all works into the hairline and would be black and grey very detailed he had told me at one point I would do my whole head for free if he could do whatever he wanted. So to make it up to him I'm going to let him...yet pay. Plus he just does gnarly work anyway. And I think it will make him happy and forget about me using the other guy. and makes an artist feel like you cheated on them on most especially since he's done So much work on me.Sorry I tend to run to get off subject moral of the story is treats are just right and they will treat you right.

I'm from Iowa in the US. It is very rude here not to tip. It is the opposite in the UK? Is it considered an insult?

No, it's not an insult at all, I'm not positive but I'm assuming PinkUnicorn said that because he doesn't want me to encourage a culture where people are expected to tip? Like I said, I grew up thinking it's the right thing to do and I love seeing how grateful people are so I'm going to continue. I think tipping encourages better service, and if I can't afford to leave a decent tip, I don't go out (or get a tattoo, take a taxi, etc).

No, it's not an insult at all, I'm not positive but I'm assuming PinkUnicorn said that because he doesn't want me to encourage a culture where people are expected to tip? Like I said, I grew up thinking it's the right thing to do and I love seeing how grateful people are so I'm going to continue. I think tipping encourages better service, and if I can't afford to leave a decent tip, I don't go out (or get a tattoo, take a taxi, etc).

Tipping is generally at a lower level in the UK than in the US. (I'm a citizen of both places.)

In general I dislike tipping and would rather just have everything included in the price. (e.g. as

in restaurants in Japan.)

Following US customs in the UK is often not appropriate.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g186216-s606/United-Kingdom:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

I also dislike the "tipping inflation" that seems to be happening in the US at the moment - particularly at places where you order at the counter and pay with a credit card and sign on an iPad! The lowest tip listed is often 15% or 20%, whereas I had got used to 15% being the default tip when you got full service at your table.

OK, rant over! (For now...)

I grew up in a restaurant and was taught by the owners (my parents) that tips were a thanks for service over the norm. I enjoyed busing tables and giving the tips to the waitresses that served those customers. I observed that tips were generally better for our better waitresses (all were good, but some were better). I have always let that guide my personal tipping of servers. When we helped vacationers launch their boats at the local lake (Cumberland), we didn't care what or if they tipped us. Usually it was $1 - $5, and (to give reference) back then $5 bought a couple six-packs or half a tank of gas.

A tattoo artist is different. There are so many things that are done when you are not there - autoclave operation, sketching, research, health inspections. I appreciate the extra work and particularly putting up with having to be around me for that long. It is deserving of a nice tip and gift (usually small but with some thought).

BTW, the default tip was 10% for quite a long time. 15% and higher was promoted and spread from the large Northeastern cities. Even in the 70's, 10% was common in the rural South.

Shouldn't tasks that happen before/after tattooing ideally be reflected in the price? I mean if an artist has to receive a tip to make up for their time then they obviously have no idea how to price themselves right.. Besides, if they need to be tipped for doing tasks that are absolutely a part of their job then something is really, really wrong here. I know that math and business is not the favorite subject for a lot of creative people, but it's not that hard to figure out.

I personally hate the idea of mandatory tipping almost as much as I hate prices listed without tax. I would love to tip just based off how nice/professional an artist is towards me as a customer, and not tipping at all is an option if an artist is being an asshole or unprofessional. How much would I like to tip? If you can get drunk off it then that covers a days work.

PinkUnicorn,

I understand where you're coming from. I'm also a citizen of both the US and UK I've worked in the service industry for years in both countries and now own my own restaurant in the UK, so I've been on both sides of the coin. I do think that in an ideal world service workers would just get paid a decent wage and not have to rely on tips - but unfortunately many do. In the UK, almost every restaurant owner keeps all credit card tips for themselves, plus a big chunk of cash tips (I've found most people here don't know this).

I'm sorry that inflated tipping makes you uncomfortable, but it's still voluntary. There's no need to tip excessively, especially if you feel you're being forced (if I see gratuity included on a bill, I usually ask for it to be removed so I can leave my own in cash.. so, I get it).

But, I don't see how what I choose to do with my personal money affects you in any way - it gives me great joy and satisfaction to tip, and it's absolutely never inappropriate (like, I don't tip my bin man), despite what Tripadvisor says.

I try to bring BBQ, coffee, etc. And I tip every session.

You "bring BBQ" to your tattoo appointments? Holy shit I need to visit Austin...

Australian in Australia too. I have tipped Tattooists but they have always been shy about it and tried to refuse. I worked in hospitality for years and tipping isn't normal. When I did get somebody who tips I honestly felt like I was accepting money from a sugar daddy. Kind of ... "here, go buy yourself a little something"

• 2 weeks later...