The quality of ink brands

AuntTudie

I'm guessing there are many different brands of Ink. As a collector, I really never paid attention. In doing a little research, I find there are a few different qualities of ink within each brand. Have any artists here had negative experiences with certain ink colors? Is it just a crap shoot when you use a new color? Even if it is within a well known brand?I have lately had an issue with Eternal Ink's Green concentrate that may have caused my ink spread in my tattoo. Any thoughts on this?

Not sure if you'll get many responses here or even how long the thread will stay open. Most of the posters aren't tattoo artists and wouldn't know the first thing about ink, and the ones who are artists probably don't want to publicly denounce any brands...

Personally, I've never had an issue with any particular brand or color, but then again, I'm also not really paying attention to what the artist uses. I think that's something that's for him to know and for me to trust his knowledge.

Also, I'm not sure if a brand of ink causes blowout/spreading (don't quote me on that, again, I'm not an artist). I was under the impression it was all due to how the artist applies the tattoo. I wish you'd let go your blowout experience instead of mentioning it in every post...most people here probably have a blowout, it's not the end of the world. :confused:

@AuntTudie,

As @Synesthesia mentioned I am not sure you will get a response form any body out side the collectors "realm"

But as a collector my self one thing I am aware is the ink the artists use. When I am collecting a piece from an artist I ask a few questions just like he asks me questions... One of those questions I ask is the type of ink the artists prefers to use. Most good artists stick to what is known...

Inks I am experience with on my own skin from different artists is:

Eternal Ink.

Fusion Ink.

and recently Empire Inks.

I think there is others that are good but I am more comfortable knowing what my skin does good with.

Edit: This is a good topic if directed to those who collect and not to an artist.

Thanks. I know it looks like I am freaking out a bit. Well, I am because it is on my skin. I take great pride in my tattoos. I put a lot of thought into them. I have never thought about asking the brand of the ink. Well, not until my friend had a bad reaction to red and now with my situation

I debated on mentioning the ink brand as I know it is a well trusted brand.

I just need to chill till I see my artist on Tuesday. I know he'll give me the answers I am looking for. I have a lot of trust in him and faith that he can deal with it.

The best holding and brightest inks in my skin happen to be handcrafted inks that tattooers use. Except for maybe the dermaglow neon orange haha.

These are secret recipes and fairly closely guarded.

I don't think you want to know what's in some of the ink recipes. The same pigments they use in commercial house paint or vodka or bull semen is probably something you don't want to hear right before getting tattooed. If the tattoo looks great in 10 years, that's what really matters IMO. One of my tattooers mixed some homemade green and white inks together and they started bubbling over the cap, like a high school science project. I asked uhhhh what the hell was in it...he said "wizard dust". We laughed. Well he laughed, I laughed nervously. It was itchy for a really long time, and now that green is still bright as hell 5 years later.

The best holding and brightest inks in my skin happen to be handcrafted inks that tattooers use. Except for maybe the dermaglow neon orange haha.

These are secret recipes and fairly closely guarded.

I don't think you want to know what's in some of the ink recipes. The same pigments they use in commercial house paint or vodka or bull semen is probably something you don't want to hear right before getting tattooed. If the tattoo looks great in 10 years, that's what really matters IMO. One of my tattooers mixed some homemade green and white inks together and they started bubbling over the cap, like a high school science project. I asked uhhhh what the hell was in it...he said "wizard dust". We laughed. Well he laughed, I laughed nervously. It was itchy for a really long time, and now that green is still bright as hell 5 years later.

Well said. Thanks for sharing!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks. I know it looks like I am freaking out a bit. Well, I am because it is on my skin. I take great pride in my tattoos. I put a lot of thought into them. I have never thought about asking the brand of the ink. Well, not until my friend had a bad reaction to red and now with my situation

I debated on mentioning the ink brand as I know it is a well trusted brand.

I just need to chill till I see my artist on Tuesday. I know he'll give me the answers I am looking for. I have a lot of trust in him and faith that he can deal with it.

That's right just chill it will all be fine. ;)