Are there any more 50+ women working on their collection?

Rustyrider

I'm 67.I was getting my forearm tattooed three weeks ago.The artist said I have the worst skin he's tattooed in his twenty six years of tattooing.I told him I probably almost waited too long to get tattooed.He agreed,he said the skin gets thin in some places.But,he added guys my age with tattoos are going to be jealous of me because mine will look better than their old ones.

I'm curious if your age has made any difference in how you get your tattoos... Or in how they heal...

As a 60 year old male, I can tell you that some of mine heal slower, especially in the bendy areas.

Is the pain worse than it used to be? Probably, but I can put up with it better.

I can say that I am a slave t the lotion because I am prone to dry skin and nothing looks worse than a scaly tattoo.

And since everything I own is paid off, I am accelerating the program.

They say that you can't take it with you, but I damn sure am going out very decorated! :cool:

As a 60 year old male, I can tell you that some of mine heal slower, especially in the bendy areas.

Is the pain worse than it used to be? Probably, but I can put up with it better.

I can say that I am a slave t the lotion because I am prone to dry skin and nothing looks worse than a scaly tattoo.

And since everything I own is paid off, I am accelerating the program.

They say that you can't take it with you, but I damn sure am going out very decorated! :cool:

these two points are great,and I agree,the mental pain control seems to work better for me than ever,and yes we have worked hard to get to a good financial place,I'm not a wealthy guy,but not owing any money is a form of wealth IMO.

I'll be 50 in a little over a month, and I'm definitely feeling more comfortable getting tattoos now than I was earlier in life. I'm more comfortable with my decisions, and am not so afraid of them affecting my career, etc. I'm just more comfortable with who I am, and am enjoying getting tattooed very much! I'm just getting rolling, in fact. My family is not surprised, because I've always been a "counter culture" type, but honestly, tattooing isn't hardly even counter culture anymore.

I also handle the pain much better now, since I've been through more, and know how to take my brain away to another spot. Just had a 6-hour session and though I don't know exactly how much more I could have done, it was doable. There were people around me tapping out for breaks frequently, and we took only one real break.

My skin seems to be healing fine, and artists who have worked on me this past year have told me my skin takes ink well, so I'm grateful for that. 50-year-old skin is 50-year-old skin, and there's no insult or ageism in that, it is just a fact, and it is something every tattooer has to deal with. I'm much more careful about protecting my tattoos (investments) from the sun, and keeping them moisturized, etc. I'm not sure I would have considered everything so carefully earlier in life.

Plus, like my husband likes to say, when I'm really old (I hope I get really old) my tattoos will still look half decent, because I waited so long to get them.

I am 51. I don't feel like I heal any slower. I usually start the "flaking process after about 4 days and after that it heals right up. I started my back piece when I was 50. I am now working on a shoulder piece. As some of you know I got some ink "bleeding". I am sure it was part thin skin and part ink particles.

One thing I know for sure is that I handle the pain better now that I am older. I got a small yin yang on my back years ago and Nefertiti on the back of my leg. The artist had to talk me in to holding still and getting through it. I sit like a rock now, at least I think so.

One thing I know for sure is that I handle the pain better now that I am older. I got a small yin yang on my back years ago and Nefertiti on the back of my leg. The artist had to talk me in to holding still and getting through it. I sit like a rock now, at least I think so.

I was talking to Darcy Nutt about this when she did my shoulder piece recently. Women, in general, handle the pain a lot better than men. Not always, of course, but also, as women age and go through more life, you're able to handle pain better. "Take it like a man," indeed!

• 2 weeks later...
I'm 59 (male), and there's definitely a difference in how I get them (better educated, better quality), but i haven't noticed any decline in how I heal.

I'm 60 and had some major work done this year.. kinda partying like it's 1999... but I'm getting exactly what I want and have had some older work freshened up. I heal tattoos about the same. Other cuts on me, heal a lot faster for some reason.