Hello from Brazil! + one question

spacellama

Hello guys, I'm a 19 year old brazilian, with 0 tattoos so far.

I'm a front-end web developer so I'm really into design, and a little more than a year back I started "designing" some tattos I thought it would be awesome to do, and saved them in a folder. My plan is to create the tattoo design, put in the folder for at least 5 months, and then do it only if I still want to do it as much as I wanted when I did it (with this method I already deleted 3 designs).

I'm really into low poly art, and some minimalistic designs, but I want to make only original tattoos (original as in I drew it, then recreated using illustrator/photoshop and tweaked it, not original as in "no one have it" because I'm sure a lot of people may have tattoos similar to my ideas).

A while back when I first saw some wireframe low poly designs, I got really excited to tattoo a low polygon wireframe of a brain, but I wanted to do it on the inner side of my right arm (I'm planning on starting on discrete places first, so I can get used to having tattoos before I make some that will always be visible), and the brain design was too large and not tall enough to fit nicely on that place, so I put some more tought and decided I wanted something like a minimalist light bulb with a brain on the place of the filament (not original at all, but I wanted to draw something), so I drew a lot of versions, and I finally decided the best design, and recreated in Photoshop. The thing is: I'm worried that the tattoo will not look good with time, because I put the polygons with different shades of gray, and I know tattoos slowly loses the colors, I'm worried that the polygon colors merge with time, also that the brain details and the white lines at the middle vanish when the borders starts to get blurry.

I already chose the tattooer and I trust his skills (I know a lot of his clients with awesome tattoos, and he has won some prizes), with all the experience you guys have: This design: Image can become a nice tattoo? In the inner part of the right arm, my skin is light (kinda like the image background), and it would be ~11cm tall

Most of my other designs are more clear, but this one (exactly the one I want to do first) have this problem, if you guys tell me it's really difficult to get the tattoo like it's in the image I'll make adaptations until it's good to go.

P.S: I just spent hours reading stories on that "Crazy tattoo stories" topic, and had a good laugh on the "Worst tattoos ever", it's a really nice community, and I hope to be able to share my tattoos when I start taking those designs out of the computer.

That's great news! He is really the best person to ask about this.

I know, and I'm trying to get some time to go there but I work as a freelance and I'm in those super occupied months (which is great $$), so I wanted to ask here because if I have to make some changes, you guys should know better than me what could be done in a precise way, also, since it's a forum, I can interact here while I'm working (like right now).

- - - Updated - - -

Hi there, I'm from Argentina and a graphic design student and your work seems pretty good, you could post more of it

Hey man, thanks! Actually since it's kind of a hobbie, I don't have many designs in my folder, but I will gladly share it when I have more of them :D

Off topic but how are you working and earning money? I'm the same age as you and I'm just starting

I'm working with a friend of mine as a web developer, I live in a small city so a lot of companies around here don't have websites, me and my friend are offering the service of making the website and provide an easy control panel for it, so they can update their website themselves. The panel is developed by my friend. I do the front-end and he do the back-end. We are opening a company too and will change things a little bit by providing "almost ready" templates for companies and sell the websites for a lower price than creating from zero, and some months from now we will start offering to some schools a complete academic web system that we are developing along with my cousin. I'm working a lot but I think it really pays itself (both literally and metaphorically).

Ok, here's the condensed version of your answer (similar questions of which have been answered on this forum many times before):

a/ continue to come up with creative and drawings, but start calling them "references".

b/ find a professional tattooer who already is proficient in the type of art you would wear, and who can actually tattoo (that's a whole new subject, by the way)

c/ discuss your vision with that artist and bring the references for guidance

d/ let that artist come up with the final idea(s)

Don't expect a true artist to be interested in trying to reproduce your idea(s).

Don't expect a novice artist to be able to reproduce your idea(s).

Avoiding the above = you might be lucky. you might not. you'll still wear it forever.

I finally had the time to go to the studio and talk with the tattooer. He said he have 3 grey tones, and some other he can reproduce by mixing them, but we agreed to reduce the tattoo to 3 tones (honestly it kinda looks better with only 3), and the two support thin stripes will be enlarged a little, so when the tint settles it stays nice, he said the brain details can be reproduced nicely too. The price was fair, but I didn't signed to do it yet because I'm waiting on some payments to come (freelance life). As soon as I do it I'll post a picture here!

• 2 weeks later...