Wanting to enhance tattoo

lusher16

I recently had a cover up tattoo of an Eagle and was wanting some advice on different ways to enhance the overall tattoo. I was thinking about maybe adding some red, white, and blue American flag elements around the eagle and wanted to see what people thought about that idea or if they have other suggestions. post-25114-146168884795_thumb.png

Leave it alone, it looks great as is. Efforts to "enhance" tattoos in the way you are describing usually end up taking away from the original tattoo subject. An eagle is already pretty "U S of EH" do you really need to make your patriotism more obvious by dressing your arm like an american flag?

Get other tattoos and fill out the rest of the arm. Or incorporate the eagle into a wrap-around wilderness half sleeve with a colourful background.

My $0.02

I like it as is, so the only thing I'd consider if it were mine would be to add a flag background. I always liked tight end Jeremy Shockey's eagle and flag, but the styling likely wouldn't work with yours unless the flag was a little more traditional.

bb8f220d79d3f99e3e60f0fd4422a8d2.jpg

A google image search with "eagle and flag tattoo" might give you some ideas.

That's a great idea. I think a more traditional looking background for the flag would look pretty good and complete this piece. I do like it as is but think it's a little dark since it was used as a cover up and feel a nice colorful background would really make the tattoo pop.

Thanks pidjones! I actually have the Marine Corps tattoo on my other arm. It's a half sleeve that goes all the way around. It's the same artist that did the eagle on my other arm. He does very good work IMO. The Marine Corps half sleeve is all black and grey so I think having something with color will look pretty good on my other arm.

I have a half sleeve on my other arm - it's black and gray. I also have a black and gray tattoo on my back and then a colored tattoo on my calf. I'm usually a big advocate of just black and gray but I think red, white, and blue flag background would look really good on this tattoo. If I were to add a background to this tattoo then I wouldn't want to add to it anymore after that.

yeah I think whatever you do dont stress too much about it - as others have said - its YOUR tattoo - my collection has become pretty eclectic over time and I kinda like that - probably no one on this board would have told me to fill my upper arms with an angry corn on a tractor or a self loathing pizza monster - but hey I love those tattoos - now with time my tastes have changed and I go with the flow of what I'm into - that said - there is a alot of good advice on this board - and I've learned alot about what makes a good tattoo (to me) from this board and site in general (the interview section alone is filled with awesomeness) - anyway - just my 2 cent ramble

@marley mission I normally like what you post. Your posts are intelligent, well-considered, and come from experience, and I especially like your attitude about how tattoos are permanent parts of our bodies, for better or for worse, and that we should live with them instead of seeking to cover them up, laser them, or otherwise modify them. But this time I can't stand by nodding my head in agreement with you.

A self-loathing pizza monster? He's made of pizza, what is there to loathe? Furthermore, you live in New Jersey where even the worst pizza is going to be pretty good by most people's standards. So again, why the self-loathing? Did you get a tattoo of a gluten-free vegan slice? Because if so, my friend, you got a bum tattoo.

@marley mission I normally like what you post. Your posts are intelligent, well-considered, and come from experience, and I especially like your attitude about how tattoos are permanent parts of our bodies, for better or for worse, and that we should live with them instead of seeking to cover them up, laser them, or otherwise modify them. But this time I can't stand by nodding my head in agreement with you.

A self-loathing pizza monster? He's made of pizza, what is there to loathe? Furthermore, you live in New Jersey where even the worst pizza is going to be pretty good by most people's standards. So again, why the self-loathing? Did you get a tattoo of a gluten-free vegan slice? Because if so, my friend, you got a bum tattoo.

love this

hey when you guys get down to Electric again - the slices (and beers) are on me...eh - you gotta pay for your own tattoos though :)