slang terms that make you cringe?

JAllen

None taken, I just wish there was a better term without the connotation that collector carries.

it is slightly douchechilling, but it makes sense, in that were traveling, not just spending money on the tattoo, but reasearching, planning entire trips, for this "souvenir" of sorts. most people are blown away by the prospect of flying somwhere to get a tattoo when you can just drive 10 minutes and get one. "laypeople" dont quite get that just like any other art/craft, people have certain styles that just cant be mimicked. so in a sense im collecting them.

I don't take personal offense when people use slang terms I just kind of use it as a barometer for how in the loop a person is.

Two people joking around in the shop might say "ready to do some tatzaps" and the other might respond "slinging ink all day long" and i know they are joking having a good time.

However if some guy comes in and wants to show me his sweet tatz that his bro who has his own tat gun and ask how much it would cost him to get sleeved cause he bro would do it for $100, then that is annoying.

it is slightly douchechilling, but it makes sense, in that were traveling, not just spending money on the tattoo, but reasearching, planning entire trips, for this "souvenir" of sorts. most people are blown away by the prospect of flying somwhere to get a tattoo when you can just drive 10 minutes and get one. "laypeople" dont quite get that just like any other art/craft, people have certain styles that just cant be mimicked. so in a sense im collecting them.

You are right in this for sure. Now that I am back on the horse sort of speak I am just trying to figure out who I want to do my ribs. When there is research and travel involved it has to be more than just getting a tattoo.

Playing Devil's advocate I think there are a lot of people that travel all over the united states to get a tattoo , when there are a lot of good people locally that could do the same tattoo. I am all for getting tattooed on a trip, but I have never traveleld somewhere just to get tattooed. I am getting tattooed by Mario Desa in a week in Chicago but I have a birthday party to go to on Saturday there so it works out. I guess to some degree I might be more likely to visit a place like San Fran because in the back of my mind I know I can get a tattoo, but there are so many people in Portland that I stilll need to get work by. Don't get me wrong I know there are a lot of people who travel a long way to get good tattoos, I know Iwar is coming from Norway and getting tattooed by Grime, Scott Sylvia, and Tim Lehi and I think that is bad ass.

None taken, I just wish there was a better term without the connotation that collector carries.

Got fancy and checked out the thesaurus, if we wanna just say it non threating how about "hobbyist," high brow we can go with "connoisseur," or with what I think will work best with this forum and starting a new trend "magpie."

I don't take personal offense when people use slang terms I just kind of use it as a barometer for how in the loop a person is.

Two people joking around in the shop might say "ready to do some tatzaps" and the other might respond "slinging ink all day long" and i know they are joking having a good time.

However if some guy comes in and wants to show me his sweet tatz that his bro who has his own tat gun and ask how much it would cost him to get sleeved cause he bro would do it for $100, then that is annoying.

exactly! i don't want anyone to censor how they speak, just to be themselves. don't worry what others think, only be aware that if you are trying to hard to sound cool it will be obvious and isn't required because the best you can do is be sincere and others will always appreciate that no matter what "terms" you use.

Freestyle..the worst. Im not sure if anyone else has experience with this word or if it is a southern thing. Thrown around with other lovely terms like gunz and " I gotz this one from my boyz house". So people come in asking who the best freestyle artist is or if you can do some freestyle on them. Usually gets a lot of blank looks from everyone, then they proceed to say "yeah just do whatever you want, make it cool". Which is usually followed up with "dem gunz expensive"?

freestyle...ummm no.

yea...I think "Freestyle" is a south thing. Quite possibly the dumbest term I've ever heard. I also hate when someone asks to buy a barrel.....I definitely give a blank look, followed by complete silence.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Sounds like a leprechaun. Some dude asked me yesterday, "So, you ink, too?" I laughed and said, "What??" and he got all stuttery and said, "Uh.. tattoos. Do you.. tattoo?"

We were all getting our hair cut at the barber shop down the street and he asked if we all "operate an ink gun". I said I beg your pardon. "Do you sling ink!" he insists. My boss just look at him and says "Yeah I tattoo." Then he changed the subject and we started talking about firearms.

• 2 weeks later...

So I just read the first 15 pages and I'm skipping the last 10. What have I learned from all this? Next time I go to get a tattoo, I am just simply going to point at the artist, point at the location I want something done in, and then point to the reference material I brought with me so as to not offend anyone.