slang terms that make you cringe?

JAllen

So I just read the first 15 pages and I'm skipping the last 10. What have I learned from all this? Next time I go to get a tattoo, I am just simply going to point at the artist, point at the location I want something done in, and then point to the reference material I brought with me so as to not offend anyone.

duder why u tripen just b realz and tell dat slinger u want to get dat hot shit burned on. So you can be sleeved up by christmas.

• 1 month later...

A friend brought this up with me yesterday. We were talking about Japanese tattoos, and he pointed out that some of the mythology/artwork used in some tattooing is from other Asian countries. Being an ignorant Westerner, does it look stupid to refer to things as "Japanese", that may well originate from (for example) China?

Is "Oriental" or "Asian" too broad/kind of racist-sounding?

• 4 weeks later...

I am glad to see that other people posted 'collector' well before I was going to.

also, even before the tv show, I found the term 'canvas' deplorable.

and finally, this is what my friend Rus wrote on his blog next to the photo of my tattoo he did.

Tattooing is weird. there are all sorts of rules that outsiders are not supposed to break, yet we as tattooers break all the time. for instance that aftercare speech we give you? most of us don't do half that shit. why? cause we're lazy.

Another example is any number of the slang terms people use for tattoos and the act of getting tattooed. When someone tells me they want to get 'a tat' or 'tatted' or 'inked up' or pretty much anything other than simply 'I'd like to get a tattoo' my skin kind of crawls. it's not that i'm being judgmental, it's just that these are terms that no one in the industry uses. maybe people who work in their kitchens, or a meth trailer, but no one that i've ever come in contact with. this means at some point there was a great schism and the general public somehow adopted an entire tattooing related vocabulary completely devoid of any actual relation to tattooers. that's fucking weird. no other professional deals with this. people don't have their own slang terms for dealing with architects or plumbers. no one says 'yeah, i need to get my roof shing'd' or 'i need some chair time to get my tooth drilled on'. why us? and what is the point of all this?

When i said i didn't know anyone in the industry who used those terms, i lied. everyone i know says them. we say them everyday, just not to you. we say them as an inside joke. a rite of passage of sorts. we've even taken some of them further, taking your malapropisms and expanding upon them. coming up with our own terms, based on your terms, which were based on seemingly nothing. I realize this shit is getting a bit heavy, schindlers list on a first date, so i'll get to the point:

This tattoo is on my fellow tat-bro, Aaron. You're not allowed to call him that though, tat-bro is our word. we took it from you and you can't have it back. sorry.

I have used collector in conversation to compare and contrast different types of clients. It becomes douchey when you refer to yourself as a collector, like it's some sort of skill or job IMO.

I stay away from "collector," has either a douchy connotation when used by yourself or a negative connotation when used by someone who tattoos. "Oh, yeah, dude wants it like right in this weird spot on the side of his knee.. fucking collectors n shit.."