slang terms that make you cringe?

JAllen

I stay away from "collector," has either a douchy connotation when used by yourself or a negative connotation when used by someone who tattoos. "Oh, yeah, dude wants it like right in this weird spot on the side of his knee.. fucking collectors n shit.."

Exactly, I try to reserve the term for when it applies. Most people are just regulars or I refer to them as the guy or gal with a bunch of tattoos from so and so.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
(in the process of drawing my "squid pants" tattoo. :)

If you draw them, and you give someone else in your shop your drawing to do the tattooing, is that a Squid Pro Quo?!?!?!?!

- - - Updated - - -

I've seen a few people on Facebook with photo albums titled 'my inks' :-/ always thought this was strange, kindna how people refer to records as 'vinyls'.

Hate to tell ya this, but records have been called vinyl's ever since they were the hi-tech ticket. I wouldn't say, "my inks", but I would say "my ink". I imagine that's a prime no-no, but it was/is common usage in the Chicago area.

If you draw them, and you give someone else in your shop your drawing to do the tattooing, is that a Squid Pro Quo?!?!?!?!

- - - Updated - - -

Hate to tell ya this, but records have been called vinyl's ever since they were the hi-tech ticket. I wouldn't say, "my inks", but I would say "my ink". I imagine that's a prime no-no, but it was/is common usage in the Chicago area.

I would say my vinyl when refering to multiple vinyl records.

I would say my vinyl when refering to multiple vinyl records.

As would I. Maybe the difference is that the records that belong to us are our vinyl, whereas a group of records that don't are vinyls. Who knows, maybe it's yet another permutation of the language...damn kids!

I've seen a few people on Facebook with photo albums titled 'my inks' :-/ always thought this was strange, kindna how people refer to records as 'vinyls'.

I've always referenced to them as vinyls or vinyl since my dad did also, plus in the audiophile world there is a difference between vinyl, CD, MP3 and lossless audio.

I got rid of almost all my 78's, but did score a really nice quadraphonic amp/receiver combo recently. Number 4 son is going nuts on it.

Its definately a cool experience. I worked for a record store in the 90's and he had a pretty great collection of records. It was a worth while experience to gain lots of diverse exposure musically. Not only to styles but also the collectors and their niche of collecting. There was a few folks that only bought 78's and didn't even own a "modern" turntable. Then there were several that were obsessed with the quadraphonic records. Good stuff.

• 1 year later...

TrixieFaux's recent thread (http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/4411-plainskins-say-darndest-things.html) made me wanna bump this one. A coworker of mine keeps referring to my tattoos as "mobile art." I finally asked her (politely) to stop saying that.

She apparently has one tattoo. (I assume it is also mobile?). She said it took about 10 minutes and she complained the entire time.

Can we discuss work, instead?