slang terms that make you cringe?

JAllen

what are your thoughts on the use of slang and terms that folks use to try and make tattooing sound cool? as an example i don't like the use of the terms tat, tats, or tatted up. i think that the word tattoo is cool enough and has always had a certain power to it. there's not really a need to attempt to make it sound cooler or clever by shortening it or adding z's instead of s's. i don't like gun for a tattoo machine either, but do find it amusing when people use it and sometimes i'll say "do you mean a tat gat?"

so are there terms that you do or don't like as well as does it give you an idea of the type of person you're talking to when you hear them use certain slang?

Though we had a brief flirtation with trying to get Fratbros (fratbroz?) to call tattooers "Squids" cause they "fuckin shoot ink, man"... but that never really worked out. Would have loved to send in a bro to one of my friends and have them address him as a Squid. Haha

Shawn, you are my sweet tat bro, and you rule. From now on, instead of asking Scott if he's "making sweet tats," I'm gonna ask him if he's "squideling," a combo of squid and scribbling.

I really would like to see a collective effort on LST to start promoting SQUIDS/SQUIDDLING.

Anyway, Tats and tat-guns remain the worst in my book.. I don't know what's worse though, getting asked about "my tats" from folks with no visible tattoos or folks who are covered. I almost like LEG SLEEVE simply because it sounds like a euphemism for some kind of weird, cozy, leg love.

Tats gives me chills, but the norwegian slang term for tattoos "tattis" makes my blood boil.

I've been thinking how would you pronounce tattis, like would you say "tattys" or say "is" how it's pronounced in english, or some other way?

Cause if it's tattys that is way to much southern califorian barbie girl for anyone without bleach blonde hair and a year round tan. And even if those girls pronounce it like that, they need to be shot.

All those terms are fine by me.... As long as a tattooer is using them. If the person doesn't tattoo and uses them, I wanna smash their head down into their neck.

I'm a jerk

Julio, explain. You're ok with any term as long as it's a tattooer using it? I'm also admittedly kind of partial to "zaps", tongue-in-cheek kinda way.

Julio, explain. You're ok with any term as long as it's a tattooer using it? I'm also admittedly kind of partial to "zaps", tongue-in-cheek kinda way.
I agree with Julio, its like racial slang. If you aren't part of the race, you can't use the word. In other words , if you aren't black , you shouldn't be dropping N bombs.

I agree with Julio, its like racial slang. If you aren't part of the race, you can't use the word. In other words , if you aren't black , you shouldn't be dropping N bombs.

so collectors aren't a part of the tattoo community? so the money that we give you doesn't count for something?

i wrote out a rant because i'm in a terrible mood this moring and feel like spouting off, but i think for the moment i'll just keep shut. anyways, it's just words, and while yes, some of them appeart to be stupid, it's really a matter of taste and personal choice.