slang terms that make you cringe?

JAllen

so collectors aren't a part of the tattoo community? so the money that we give you doesn't count for something?

i wrote out a rant because i'm in a terrible mood this moring and feel like spouting off, but i think for the moment i'll just keep shut. anyways, it's just words, and while yes, some of them appeart to be stupid, it's really a matter of taste and personal choice.

I generally don't like discussing certain points of music with fans or certain points of my day job with clients. I think that's kind of common. If I had some random kook come up to me and start talking using slang I use exclusively with friends, band mates, or coworkers I'd be turned off. There's a big difference to me for instance of a fellow musician calling a guitar a "shred stick" vs. a random person I don't know complimenting me on my sweet "shred stick". It seems intrusive and out of place.

Everyone has freedom to use whatever words they want and I'm not debasing that one bit.. but with that freedom comes choice and choice implies responsible and respectful linguistic usage.

I generally don't like discussing certain points of music with fans or certain points of my day job with clients. I think that's kind of common. If I had some random kook come up to me and start talking using slang I use exclusively with friends, band mates, or coworkers I'd be turned off. There's a big difference to me for instance of a fellow musician calling a guitar a "shred stick" vs. a random person I don't know complimenting me on my sweet "shred stick". It seems intrusive and out of place.

Everyone has freedom to use whatever words they want and I'm not debasing that one bit.. but with that freedom comes choice and choice implies responsible and respectful linguistic usage.

I can understand this. However -- just to keep stirring the pot here -- I think the next point becomes if a rapport has been established with a tattooer friend and you two trade slang terms back and forth, I think that's ok, since you've got that relationship and it's established. But, say you go to a new shop or get tattooed by another person, you're certainly not going to talk to that person like your buddy and be all, "What's up tat-wizard, tryna get those squid pants!"

notice that i used the word "collector", not client. i get how embarrasing it would be to have somone off the street come up to your shop, look through a portfolio, and say "sweet tats bro!" (and annoying). i get it, but at the same time, as discussed in other threads, that is someone who is probably (and this is an assumption) not getting tattooed for the "cool" factor or because it's what people are doing right now, not because they have a deeper attachment or interest in the community, art, or culture itself. while i don't think a serious collector would use some of the words listed above (though some appear to be catching on now), collectors are more interested in these other aspects of tattooing and therefore, have an investment in the community.

I can understand this. However -- just to keep stirring the pot here -- I think the next point becomes if a rapport has been established with a tattooer friend and you two trade slang terms back and forth, I think that's ok, since you've got that relationship and it's established. But, say you go to a new shop or get tattooed by another person, you're certainly not going to talk to that person like your buddy and be all, "What's up tat-wizard, tryna get those squid pants!"

exactly, although I'd love to watch a random's reaction if you said "What's up tat-wizard, tryna get those squid pants!" to them hahaha.

Another exaggerated example would be two friends who call each other degrading names at a bar. No big deal, but if an outside 3rd person comes up and calls one of them an asshole the 3rd person is gonna get clocked pretty fast.

The guy who did this tattoo owns a shop. People pay money to him to do tattoos on them. That makes him a professional tattoo artist.

If he's more "in the know" in the tattoo world than I am because I don't tattoo... so be it. In the immortal words of one of my snarkier friends... "your team!" :D

what is that?

I've been thinking how would you pronounce tattis, like would you say "tattys" or say "is" how it's pronounced in english, or some other way?

Both pronounciations are equally common (and equally inappropriate in my opinion)

honestly, "collector" bothers me (sorry robin)! generally speaking people who refer to themselves as collectors are a bit smug and see themselves as above other clients. no offense robin, or anyone else who use this term, it's just been my experience and bothered me for years. the guy getting his girlfriend's name is just as important as a "collector" getting a custom "cool" tattoo. sometimes these "collectors" scoff at having to wait while i do a regular walk-in on someone they deem "uncool", and it eats me up. but i guess this is a whole other discussion!

honestly, "collector" bothers me (sorry robin)! generally speaking people who refer to themselves as collectors are a bit smug and see themselves as above other clients. no offense robin, or anyone else who use this term, it's just been my experience and bothered me for years. the guy getting his girlfriend's name is just as important as a "collector" getting a custom "cool" tattoo. sometimes these "collectors" scoff at having to wait while i do a regular walk-in on someone they deem "uncool", and it eats me up. but i guess this is a whole other discussion!

When I was just getting into getting tattooed, I was getting worked on by Bud "Just Plain Bud" Pierson of Ancient Art in Orlando. This is... 1990 maybe.

When I first went in I was pretty young, but we hit it off pretty well. I was worried that I wouldn't be taken seriously by the "collectors" or the "serious artists" due to my age and my lack of large tattoos. Bud was about as politically incorrect and offensive as they came, and he summed it up like this:

"I'm just a guy who does tattoos and you're just a guy that gets them. That makes us as special as the guy who fixes the toilet and the guy who uses it."

At the time I was all butthurt that he equated tattooing (something he had been doing for 20+ years, but my 16yo pride wanted to defend) with that, but as I got older, I totally got what he was saying.

So yeah. God I miss Bud.

Collector is a shitty term. And it has always had that high-falutin' tone but Robin, as an apparently similar non-tatooer who gets more tattoos than a one-or-two-tattoo-haver, I am right there with you. Though your ANGER today is throwing me off.

I'd also like to think that most folks who get tattooed a lot are savvy/respectful enough to understand how a shop works and NOT scoff at walk-ins and be helpful and understanding. I could be alone in this one as a tattoo-getter, but I enjoy helping out, picking up the phone if no one can get to it, talking to customers at the shop if someone comes in.

This is all to say, there is a huge middle ground here for a lot of folks that I'm surprised doesn't exist for others. Mario, I hope you don't get too many "regulars" who shrug off walk-ins!