slang terms that make you cringe?

JAllen

y'know, i like the squid pant's name for leg tattoos. i don't even like the term sleeves for arm tattoos. sure there are proper sleeves worked out on someone as a full arm tattoo. but if i'm out somewhere and somebody says, "ooh, can i see your sleeves?" i think, "fuck off, retard", unless it's a hot girl, but i would still think she is stupid, but i would use her stupidity as an edge to get her to sleep with me. because you have to be pretty stupid to sleep with me. and customers that come in for a "sleeve", or thinking "i want to get a tattoo here and turn it into a sleeve someday", annoy me to. they're just tattoos.

honestly, "collector" bothers me (sorry robin)! generally speaking people who refer to themselves as collectors are a bit smug and see themselves as above other clients. no offense robin, or anyone else who use this term, it's just been my experience and bothered me for years. the guy getting his girlfriend's name is just as important as a "collector" getting a custom "cool" tattoo. sometimes these "collectors" scoff at having to wait while i do a regular walk-in on someone they deem "uncool", and it eats me up. but i guess this is a whole other discussion!

sounds like your trying to describe elitists

in my opinion elitists are a horrible part of sub-cultures and you see it everywhere. the music scene, skating etc.

the excluding nature of those people pisses me off.

I've never thought of "collector" as an elitist term, just as a way of saying, "I'm not getting a bodysuit from one person, I like the work of so many tattooers and I'm working on a collection bit by bit." I have a substantial rock collection. If I only had one, I wouldn't be a collector, I'd just be another person with a rock. Does that make sense? I just thought it was a way to classify ourselves here, as in "Are you a sweet tatz wizard, or are you hoping to get into some squid slacks?"

yeah, i wondered how much it gets used elsewhere. i'm in ohio and the ones that tend to use it the most are the white boy thugs, i assume that it is referring to "shooting ink" since they tend to be the same ones that call tattoo machines "guns".

The guy who did this tattoo owns a shop. People pay money to him to do tattoos on them. That makes him a professional tattoo artist.

If he's more "in the know" in the tattoo world than I am because I don't tattoo... so be it. In the immortal words of one of my snarkier friends... "your team!" :D

RE: The photo... Im sure that person is oh so happy they shaved their entire leg for that. The middle letter (a "W" perhaps?) looks like a cat butt.

I can't believe no one's mentioned being "tacked back" as in "fully tacked back". Is that too 80's or too prison yard a reference for this forum? Holy shit do I hate that one. Reminds me of a story... Scott Sylvia and several other tattooers have the same little quarter sized tattoo that is a flaming tack, like a thumb tack. I don't know who started it but I know that stencil ended up getting mailed from state to state so many ppl could have the exact same thing and therefore be "tacked back". Maybe Scott can elaborate on the story...

I also hate my tattoos being referred to as "work" ie: "nice work!" "I like your work." or "Where did you get your work done?" Less annoying but still bad is "ink". "Nice ink", "Where'd you get your ink?". I don't know why, those just bug. Calling a tattoo machine a "gun" = very annoying. I guess I do judge people by the lingo they use. I'm a jerk that way.

Reminds me of a story... Scott Sylvia and several other tattooers have the same little quarter sized tattoo that is a flaming tack, like a thumb tack. I don't know who started it but I know that stencil ended up getting mailed from state to state so many ppl could have the exact same thing and therefore be "tacked back".

holy crap, i think ive seen one!

honestly, "collector" bothers me (sorry robin)! generally speaking people who refer to themselves as collectors are a bit smug and see themselves as above other clients. no offense robin, or anyone else who use this term, it's just been my experience and bothered me for years. the guy getting his girlfriend's name is just as important as a "collector" getting a custom "cool" tattoo. sometimes these "collectors" scoff at having to wait while i do a regular walk-in on someone they deem "uncool", and it eats me up. but i guess this is a whole other discussion!

i get and understand that side too Mario. and i definitely don't think i'm better than the next person who's coming in to get a tribal armband or a heart with the word mom in it. but at the same time, i recognize that i am actively seeking out individuals based on their artwork, just as i could do with any other form of art, and having work made. i have invested money and time into trying to get work done by certain individuals, and i am actively collecting this work that happens to cover my body. so i'm sorry if my word choice was seen as comment on status, as it wasn't intended to be so. however, i'm not sure that there's a better word to describe who i or many others are.

and i, as a client of you Mario, sincerely appreciate that you value every customer that you have, because that's part of what makes you a great artist. and like any good business, the client should be valued and respected, because they are supporting you financially, regardless of how small or big the task they're asking you to do.

i just wrote this whole long response, thinking i had gotten to the end of the thread, then realized i hadn't and that everyone had basically said what i wanted to haha.

also Pat, i was in no way angry, just sort of annoyed haha.

Very nicely worded MsRad, I don't see a problem with the title of collecter. Although I don't think of myself as a collecter(haven't earned that right, and also think it's more of a word for others to discribe you). With anything that one can acquier a large supply of anything is known by defult as a "collecter." Now weither that person gives other collecters a bad name or not all depends on their attitude if they think they are better or not.

That being said and like I said earlier, referring youself as a collecter is a bit odd in my mind. Kinda like talking in 3rd person, some people can pull it off with the right charm but for the rest of us it just sounds strange.

I can see what Mario is saying about tattoo snobs with an attitude towards other clients, but I don't quite get why the term "collector" is so annoying. I refer to my tattoos as my collection, so doesn't that make me a collector? Is "enthusiast" a better term?

I would never put myself above anyone, especially if they're getting work done from a respectable artist, regardless of the design they may choose. To each his own.

Can the term "work" also be perceived as offensive? If so I might already have offended a few members here with my picture comments.

Hopefully I'll be travelling to the US soon to get some work (see, I did it again) by some of the amazingly talented artists that you have over there. I would hate to make a bad first impression by blurting out something that an artist would interpret as ignorant or offensive. I'm certainly not going to say "whatup tat-wizard, fire up yo gun and shoot that ink on my squid slacks", but "love your work" is something that I imagine that I could have said without thinking twice.

Very nicely worded MsRad, I don't see a problem with the title of collecter. Although I don't think of myself as a collecter(haven't earned that right, and also think it's more of a word for others to discribe you). With anything that one can acquier a large supply of anything is known by defult as a "collecter." Now weither that person gives other collecters a bad name or not all depends on their attitude if they think they are better or not.

That being said and like I said earlier, referring youself as a collecter is a bit odd in my mind. Kinda like talking in 3rd person, some people can pull it off with the right charm but for the rest of us it just sounds strange.

Didn't see your post before I posted. Think I got my answer right there, thanks.