slang terms that make you cringe?

JAllen

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Gun. Ug. I got a ruthless stare and never used that one again. It was my first lesson. I was reading a thing with Mike Malone one time and he had an interesting point. Tattoo machine is really a misnomer. It's not really a machine, it a device, in that it really only has one moving part set up on springs, but I digress because when I see a slotted cutback I run away screaming and look for my Dietzel...

As to misspelling tattoo? Bollocks! I can't stand it, which why I no longer text. If you use "U" instead of "you" you are a tool, and I don't care about your data plan.

But "tat" or "tatts"? That goes way back. Gibbs "Tatts" Thomas got the moniker on the Ringling Bros. show as far back as 1917. He taught Collins and worked with Cliff Raven (by the way, the Cliff Raven wine isn't bad! If a bit over priced for a Malbec...) and had this "I'll kick your ass" look on his face in every picture I've ever seen of him, even professional portraits.

He also had the worlds longest needle bars, or he was a dwarf. The thing looks like it's about three inches off the top of his hand. I don't get how anyone works that way, but I get the "Oh left handed people can't tattoo" thing all the time.

I'm not one to look down on people when they use slang, no matter their station in life. I try to educate them as much as I can so they don't come off looking silly or worse if they sit down with a "tough guy".

Edited by Gloomy Inks
Must I make fun of myself more...?

• 3 weeks later...
Gun. Ug. I got a ruthless stare and never used that one again. It was my first lesson. I was reading a thing with Mike Malone one time and he had an interesting point. Tattoo machine is really a misnomer. It's not really a machine, it a device, in that it really only has one moving part set up on springs, but I digress because when I see a slotted cutback I run away screaming and look for my Dietzel...

As to misspelling tattoo? Bollocks! I can't stand it, which why I no longer text. If you use "U" instead of "you" you are a tool, and I don't care about your data plan.

But "tat" or "tatts"? That goes way back. Gibbs "Tatts" Thomas got the moniker on the Ringling Bros. show as far back as 1917. He taught Collins and worked with Cliff Raven (by the way, the Cliff Raven wine isn't bad! If a bit over priced for a Malbec...) and had this "I'll kick your ass" look on his face in every picture I've ever seen of him, even professional portraits.

He also had the worlds longest needle bars, or he was a dwarf. The thing looks like it's about three inches off the top of his hand. I don't get how anyone works that way, but I get the "Oh left handed people can't tattoo" thing all the time.

I'm not one to look down on people when they use slang, no matter their station in life. I try to educate them as much as I can so they don't come off looking silly or worse if they sit down with a "tough guy".

Ha! The guy who taught me to tattoo once did a tattoo on a semi-famous band member when they were both fairly blitzed (he had specifically said at the start of the evening 'don't get me drunk and make me tattoo'). Anyhow, the tattoo was drawn on and the guy checked it in the mirror and liked it, so it was permanently inked on. It wasn't until the next day that someone noticed the banner on it proclaimed 'Tatoos don't hurt'.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I personally use the terms tatts, tatted up, inked, inked up, get your ink game up, get your tatt game up, and have been known to refer to a machine as a gun, even after having recently being informed that tattooists find it offensive. I have ADD and borderline personality disorder, and sometimes feel little regard for what others find offensive. Then again, I wouldn't have all this ink if I were concerned with offending others.....

I personally use the terms tatts' date=' tatted up, inked, inked up, get your ink game up, get your tatt game up, and have been known to refer to a machine as a gun, even after having recently being informed that tattooists find it offensive. I have ADD and borderline personality disorder, and sometimes feel little regard for what others find offensive. Then again, I wouldn't have all this ink if I were concerned with offending others.....[/quote']

Instead of looking at it like how other ppl view you, look at it like how YOU view YOU. It's clear in reading just a couple of your posts that you want to be 'in the know' in regards to tattooing. These terms don't just make ppl cringe, they make the craft/profession of tattooing cringe. If you don't respect others that's cool, but by reading this thread in particular you're being given an opportunity to respect yourself and tattooing, and everyone would be better for it.

I personally used to use the term tatt and ink, but never something silly with an added s or z.

In general, making words look snazzy by adding an s or z just doesn't look "coolz" to me.

That being said, I actually had no idea up until I actually struck up a conversation with an artist that some people might find those words offensive.

Most part of my life the only tattooed people I hung around with were my uncles, whom never really spoke about their tattoos, and a person or two on the internet.

The one thing I still refer to that some might dislike is calling the tattoo machine a tattoo gun, but this is more a force of habit.

I actually spent most of my life thinking that this machine was actually properly dubbed "tattoo gun" by the people using them.

That mainly came forth through the magazine that I used to scour for new clothing where they referred to a little pendant for a necklace as "tattoo gun".

Also (and this might come from my strong dislike for most (!) tribal tattoos) when people call them "tribalz" with a Z.

To me it's just, come on, you're making yourself look like an even bigger idiot.

Referring to a machine as a gun is more of a habit then anything. Grew up hearing it called that, have heard almost everyone I've ever known who has tattoos call it that and even a few tattooists, and I'm trying to break that habit. As far as the other terms, tattoo artists and people who have tattoos live in a world where conformity is akin to a mortal sin (at least in my mind), so why try to tell people what terms they are allowed to use to describe their art? You might as well tell them what tattoos to get (or not get). I'm not purposely rude or offensive unless someone is to me first, but I hardly see how the words I use to describe the art on my body is going to hurt anyone else, and if it is, grow a thicker skin. You can get through the pain of a tattoo, but catch feelings when you don't like the words another person uses to describe their art? I think we are being a little too sensitive to words here. I'm a non-conformist. I do, say, think and feel what I choose, not what someone else chooses for me.

I don't think anyone is offended by particular words being used to describe anything, rather the disrespect it shows to the history and seriousness of the craft of tattooing. Certain words are a habit, and make you sound like you're either trying too hard to sound cool or are ignorant to the correct terms? Sounds like an easy habit to break, to me. How many people call spaghetti "pa-sketti" after they're 7? Unless they have an actual impediment, not many, because someone teaches them the correct words.

Also, any responsible tattooer will tell people what tattoos not to get all the time, and try to guide people out of other ones if they're open to suggestion.

EDIT: Can we start a new slang term to supplant "ink" or "getting inked"? Like, "pigmented" or something along those lines? I think adding a few syllables will make people realize how silly it sounds. "How long you been slinging pigment?" "Pigment my whole body up." I think it can work.

I think it's less about being offensive and more about sounding stupid, but you seem to have no problem with that

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of me. However, acknowledgement of that entitlement does not imply any obligation on my part to rectify the opinions of others, nor does it imply that rectification of anyone's opinion is required. I have been called fat, stupid, ugly, cracker, bald-headed bastard, etc etc. None of these words mean anything to me, nor will they ever. I will describe the art on my body as I choose. Those who don't like it are free to feel how they choose to about it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of me. However, acknowledgement of that entitlement does not imply any obligation on my part to rectify the opinions of others, nor does it imply that rectification of anyone's opinion is required. I have been called fat, stupid, ugly, cracker, bald-headed bastard, etc etc. None of these words mean anything to me, nor will they ever. I will describe the art on my body as I choose. Those who don't like it are free to feel how they choose to about it.
You seem to enjoy getting a rise out of people.

You seem to enjoy getting a rise out of people.

In some ways, that is true at times. But my previous post was not about that. I will choose for myself, whether wisely or unwisely, what to say, do, think, and feel, and I am responsible for what I choose. You may choose what to think, say, feel or do to me, but that is also your choice which you are responsible for. It is not my place to tell you how to choose, nor am I responsible for what you choose. I'm not attempting to get a rise out of anyone. I'm just saying, feel free to feel how you choose to feel about me, but own that choice.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think anyone is offended by particular words being used to describe anything, rather the disrespect it shows to the history and seriousness of the craft of tattooing. Certain words are a habit, and make you sound like you're either trying too hard to sound cool or are ignorant to the correct terms? Sounds like an easy habit to break, to me. How many people call spaghetti "pa-sketti" after they're 7? Unless they have an actual impediment, not many, because someone teaches them the correct words.

Also, any responsible tattooer will tell people what tattoos not to get all the time, and try to guide people out of other ones if they're open to suggestion.

EDIT: Can we start a new slang term to supplant "ink" or "getting inked"? Like, "pigmented" or something along those lines? I think adding a few syllables will make people realize how silly it sounds. "How long you been slinging pigment?" "Pigment my whole body up." I think it can work.

With the exception of calling a machine a gun, who decides what terms are proper or correct? These are all words that to me, mean the same thing. Tattoo is one word that describes markings made on the body with ink. All the other terms that people use to describe them mean exactly the same thing. People call money different slang terms, but I don't see accountants getting all upset because I called a dollar bill a greenback, do you? And yes, tattooists do try to steer people away from tattoos that they don't think they will be happy with, but that's not the same as one person telling another what to think or say. You can ask members of a community to change something. Some will comply, others won't. It doesn't mean that the people who choose not to comply don't respect the community. It's just means that they think and choose for themselves.

I don't really understand this line of argument. Words bother some people. You are free to choose to use them, sure, but what is the point of stubbornly insisting on using words that bother other people when there are plenty of other functional words that don't?

I mean, I guess I would understand it more if it was cussing and you were trying to make a point, maybe, by messing with people's conservative something-or-other. But this is just...words for tattoos. Choosing the ones that bug people when there are other ones that get the job done isn't shocking or subversive, it's just kinda...weirdly obstinate. Like...you're choosing words that the community hates, for ...no reason with associated value, other than just doing it because you want to, in spite of knowing that it bugs people. I don't think that rings resoundingly with respecting said community.

WTF do I know, though. I'm a newbie and should probably shut my cakehole.

It's clear you don't want any advice or input from anyone on anything, unless it's reinforcing what you already think or believe... your other posts in other threads also make that plainly clear. So, don't listen to the great advice you were given in other threads, don't listen to any give to you here. If you care about tattoos and quality, you should learn terms to imply that you do. Otherwise, it seems like you don't. And from everything I've read, it seems that you don't really, although you sure think you do.

I do hope you listen to people and let it sink in. That being said, I don't have much hope. It's like trying to kick water uphill. There's no point in it.

The main issue I have (as a tattooist) with certain slang terms is that they instantly identify someone as a kitchen wizard, or someone who is happy to frequent scratcher shops. I've worked hard to get where I am, damn hard, and a large part of that was learning about the history and tradition of the craft. Through this, I've developed an overwhelming respect for the ancientness and significance of what we do, as both tattooists and tattoo enthusiasts. This respect makes it impossible for me to use terms such as 'inked' 'tatted up' and 'tat gun', simply because it demeans what I have worked so hard for (and continue to bust my balls at). I'm not really bothered when customers use them because the majority know no better as they haven't had the insight and learning I have, nor do the majority care (they just want to get tatted up). That's cool with me. They've just accidentally come to a decent tattooer and will end up with a better tattoo than they probably deserve. They pays their money, they makes their choice!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's clear you don't want any advice or input from anyone on anything, unless it's reinforcing what you already think or believe... your other posts in other threads also make that plainly clear. So, don't listen to the great advice you were given in other threads, don't listen to any give to you here. If you care about tattoos and quality, you should learn terms to imply that you do. Otherwise, it seems like you don't. And from everything I've read, it seems that you don't really, although you sure think you do.

Yeah at this point I see someone who clearly has no intention of listening to well-given advice and continues to act like an ass with little respect towards the community or the people involved in it.

Stop giving this idiot advice and let him continue to use words and phrases like gun and 'get your ink game up' so that any professional tattooer can see the kind of moron they are dealing with.

You have completely exhausted any sense of patience and help or advice I have for anyone at all much less on the internet. This is where I tell a customer "it's clear you are in the wrong shop. I'm sure you will find someone out there that will give you what you want. Good luck and good bye."

It's clear you are on the wrong forum. I'm sure you will find plenty of forums on the Internet that will tell you the advice you want to hear.

You know, one of the only reasons of giving someone like this much time and patience is only because Ian recently made a post about how we need to be kinder to new people here. It's hard to be nice to people and give this much credit when they act this stupid.

"This why we can't have nice things"

How do I delete my profile and all my threads/posts?

- - - Updated - - -

It's clear that I rub everyone here the wrong way, so I will leave, but only if every trace of me is removed. I want to never have been here at all.

- - - Updated - - -

Not banned either, completely gone.

Everything on the internet stays FOREVER.

I don't accept that, especially if you all don't want me here, I am sure that you all can help me find a way to permanently remove myself and everything I have posted. Anything less than that is unacceptable to me.

- - - Updated - - -

I am sure that you all will feel better once I am completely gone, as I know I will.

- - - Updated - - -

I am a very difficult person to deal with. But when someone tells me they have lost all patience for me, then it's time for me to go and leave no part of myself behind. I refuse to leave if parts of me are still going to be here. And I refuse to stay, so what is the solution?