slang terms that make you cringe?

JAllen

@Matthew Thomas, if you want to leave, obviously that's your choice. However, if you spend some time reading and paying attention on this board, there really are knowledgable and helpful people. Rather than immediately get defensive or jumpy, take the time to see what people are saying and where they're coming from. There's a lot of good that comes from this board, so see what you can learn.

Earlier in this thread you explained that you are largely indifferent to how the things you say make other people feel. It's clear that you don't feel you need to consider the views or needs of other people, so what makes you think anyone is going to comply with some grandiose demand to help you erase all signs of your presence on the forum? Since you've got here you've repeatedly demanded advice, opinions and validation, and yet readily admitted that you couldn't care less about the community here.

I suspect that there are probably enough kind-hearted posters and admin here who genuinely try their best to help out everyone, irrespective of how badly they behave, that you'll linger on here for another while.

For a while. Eventually, though, with any luck, one day after furiously alienating the hell out of yet more people who try to help you ..... BANG!!! It'll be a ban-hammer right between the eyes. And maybe after that, from time to time, when things are really slow we'll go "Remember old Matthew Thomas? I wonder if he ever got that star fixed...".

I won't waste anyone's time with a fake apology, but I'll say what I have to say. I've decided that I won't use any slang terms anymore. But I've also decided that I needd to protect myself from some of the comments and negativity coming from certain people. So I've decided the best way to protect myself is to add certain people to my ignore list. I won't point out specifically who I've added, but if I don't respond to someone's future comments, then most likely they are on my ignore list. Others may feel free to add me to their ignore list if they feel offended by anything I've said.

I personally hate the term "Leg Sleeve". At this point there must be a more creative way to discuss full coverage from the ankle to the Thigh without saying leg sleeve. My shirt has sleeves, so of course full coverage arms could be called sleeves, since they look the same, but Leg sleeve seems to be missing something. I would not say look at my leg arms... it just doesn't work.

Anyone know a better way of describing this area of the body?

Also I know bodybuilders who call a great jacked up pair of legs wheels, but that is a leap for me. I do not get it. Great Wheels man! lol.

I personally hate the term "Leg Sleeve". At this point there must be a more creative way to discuss full coverage from the ankle to the Thigh without saying leg sleeve. My shirt has sleeves, so of course full coverage arms could be called sleeves, since they look the same, but Leg sleeve seems to be missing something. I would not say look at my leg arms... it just doesn't work.

Anyone know a better way of describing this area of the body?

Also I know bodybuilders who call a great jacked up pair of legs wheels, but that is a leap for me. I do not get it. Great Wheels man! lol.

The preferred LST terminology for this kind of coverage is SQUIDPANTS.

It annoyed me abit when the referred to Japanese style as Asian on some program ' date=' fuck me Asia is a big place ...[/quote']

The misuse of asian, oriental and 100 other related terms annoy me because my wife, daughter and half my in laws are Filipino. It's just textbook ignorance because a lot of ppl just don't know any better.

A lot of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean folks have a bad habit of using Asian to mean East Asian, myself included. Grouping the three regions kind of makes sense, since there's so much overlap in art, culture, values, etc., but the misuse of the word Asian is just ethnocentrism, plain and simple.

A lot of Chinese, Japanese, and Korean folks have a bad habit of using Asian to mean East Asian, myself included. Grouping the three regions kind of makes sense, since there's so much overlap in art, culture, values, etc., but the misuse of the word Asian is just ethnocentrism, plain and simple.

A lot better than "oriental" though surely?

(I used to have Japanese connections...)

A lot better than "oriental" though surely?

(I used to have Japanese connections...)

Oh yeah, "oriental" comes with a lot of colonial baggage and not just with regard to Asians, east or otherwise (see: Edward Said's "Orientalism"). At best, it sounds old-fashioned and at worst, demeaning.

Conflating East Asian with Asian is still super problematic though because it erases the vast majority of the continent. They're just different flavors of ethnocentrism, really, with the former centered in the West and the latter in cn/jp/kr.

Anyways, I'm derailing...