slang terms that make you cringe?

JAllen

Yesterday I walked into a bank in Orinda, which is on the other side of the tunnel from Oakland, and is very much another world. One of the tellers jumped up and said "I like your skin." It didn't make me cringe, far from it, she really meant it, and I liked that she saw it as my skin and not a tattoo that could somehow be separate from the rest of me. Anyone else ever get this comment?

I've had old people with Alzheimer's ask me what's wrong with my skin. lol. I have heard it other times to and it does feel pretty good to hear it that way.

i really hate the word, 'tatmaker'.

i thought this thread was going to be about slang terms in general, as in my old lady hates the term, 'cool beans', and also the term, 'my old lady'......

It seems that slang for making sweet tats is a gift that keeps on giving! But I'd like to see it expand to all types of slang. Unlike your old lady, I love being referred to by my husband as his old lady.

after reading some of the slang terms listed here im left wondering

do people seriously talk like this?

I've seen people use these terms here on the forum lately, glad it was only online and I didn't have to listen to it all afternoon!

honestly, "collector" bothers me (sorry robin)! generally speaking people who refer to themselves as collectors are a bit smug and see themselves as above other clients. no offense robin, or anyone else who use this term, it's just been my experience and bothered me for years. the guy getting his girlfriend's name is just as important as a "collector" getting a custom "cool" tattoo. sometimes these "collectors" scoff at having to wait while i do a regular walk-in on someone they deem "uncool", and it eats me up. but i guess this is a whole other discussion!

"collector" is the name most tattoo artists give to us though Mario I guess because we are collection tattoos from specific artists! I really don't see myself as anything special because i "collect" for my own reasons......not to enter contests and win trophies or for the "ego" of having good work! I just feel blessed to have met the talented artists I have met, and to have their art on me! It's the tattoo artists that make a big deal out of it because 99% of most people being tattooed have no clue who all these artists are that have tattooed me nor do they care! I really don;t know many "collectors" so i guess really tell you how others act when they come into your shop....I just know I am not like that.

I have no problem with someone who only wants to get a name or kanji, or whatever as they are the ones that are paying your bills! As long as it is good work that is!

:)

I don't like the words.... tats, gun, or the word "industry" when used to describe the craft/business of tattooing!

I don't care for industry either, there's nothing industrial about what I do.

Anyone said body-mod? That word makes me want to slam my face into my desk. I guess thats more of a piercer thing... Come to think of it, I feel the same way about most piercers.

I don't like the words.... tats, gun, or the word "industry" when used to describe the craft/business of tattooing!

by definition, industry means "the aggregate of work, scholarship, and ancillary activity in a particular field, often named after its principal subject" which in this context would be quite an accurate meaning. I can see why you would dislike the term "industry" (for most people it has connotations of corporate manufacturing which makes most of us cringe when thinking of tattooing) but to me it's no biggie like "gun" for instance

I don't care for industry either, there's nothing industrial about what I do.

Anyone said body-mod? That word makes me want to slam my face into my desk. I guess thats more of a piercer thing... Come to think of it, I feel the same way about most piercers.

I've always felt there was a huge disconnect between the tattoo and piercing communities, with a very small crossover, though folks outside of them like to wrap them up into one. Which I guess has a lot to do with the combo tattoo and piercing shops. I had my ears gauged for about ten years but recently took those out. Other than that, I never felt like I was part of any piercing community -- nor did I ever want to be -- and while I think the two are very loosely related at some kind of basic level, I think they're pretty far apart.

In conclusion, the term BOD-MOD makes me cringe.

I've always felt there was a huge disconnect between the tattoo and piercing communities, with a very small crossover, though folks outside of them like to wrap them up into one. Which I guess has a lot to do with the combo tattoo and piercing shops. I had my ears gauged for about ten years but recently took those out. Other than that, I never felt like I was part of any piercing community -- nor did I ever want to be -- and while I think the two are very loosely related at some kind of basic level, I think they're pretty far apart.

I completely agree with what you said and thankfully we don't have anything to do with piercings in the shop I work at. In the mind of the general public I don't think the separation is nearly as large as in the tattoo community. I mentioned it because I see it in all those crappy "industry" mag's that show up in the mail a few times a month. I die a little inside when those magazines come in, what a waist of paper.

Industry conjures up images of assembly lines, mass production, corporate goons and a low cost for low/average quality. Even if the dictionary definition accurately describes the profession it's not a label I like.

In South Carolina you can't even have piercing and tattooing in the same shop.

• 3 weeks later...

The term I hate the most is "slingin' ink".I'm not an "ink slinger",I'm a dermographic redecorator.......that way I can charge more to yuppies because I tell them I use feng shui.

I used to use the word "gun",but just to irritate the other artists I worked with.An old timer once told me "machines create and guns destroy" and I guess that is the difference.