JAllen

slang terms that make you cringe?

what are your thoughts on the use of slang and terms that folks use to try and make tattooing sound cool? as an example i don't like the use of the terms tat, tats, or tatted up. i think that the word tattoo is cool enough and has always had a certain power to it. there's not really a need to attempt to make it sound cooler or clever by shortening it or adding z's instead of s's. i don't like gun for a tattoo machine either, but do find it amusing when people use it and sometimes i'll say "do you mean a tat gat?"

so are there terms that you do or don't like as well as does it give you an idea of the type of person you're talking to when you hear them use certain slang?

Though we had a brief flirtation with trying to get Fratbros (fratbroz?) to call tattooers "Squids" cause they "fuckin shoot ink, man"... but that never really worked out. Would have loved to send in a bro to one of my friends and have them address him as a Squid. Haha

Shawn, you are my sweet tat bro, and you rule. From now on, instead of asking Scott if he's "making sweet tats," I'm gonna ask him if he's "squideling," a combo of squid and scribbling.

I really would like to see a collective effort on LST to start promoting SQUIDS/SQUIDDLING.

Anyway, Tats and tat-guns remain the worst in my book.. I don't know what's worse though, getting asked about "my tats" from folks with no visible tattoos or folks who are covered. I almost like LEG SLEEVE simply because it sounds like a euphemism for some kind of weird, cozy, leg love.

"gun" for a machine is really the only thing that bothers me. I like to use the term "work" for tattoos. Kind of a broad definition refering to "work of art" and just plain "work" because getting and giving tattoos is work.

Tats gives me chills, but the norwegian slang term for tattoos "tattis" makes my blood boil.

I've been thinking how would you pronounce tattis, like would you say "tattys" or say "is" how it's pronounced in english, or some other way?

Cause if it's tattys that is way to much southern califorian barbie girl for anyone without bleach blonde hair and a year round tan. And even if those girls pronounce it like that, they need to be shot.

All those terms are fine by me.... As long as a tattooer is using them. If the person doesn't tattoo and uses them, I wanna smash their head down into their neck.

I'm a jerk

Julio, explain. You're ok with any term as long as it's a tattooer using it? I'm also admittedly kind of partial to "zaps", tongue-in-cheek kinda way.

Julio, explain. You're ok with any term as long as it's a tattooer using it? I'm also admittedly kind of partial to "zaps", tongue-in-cheek kinda way.
I agree with Julio, its like racial slang. If you aren't part of the race, you can't use the word. In other words , if you aren't black , you shouldn't be dropping N bombs.

I agree with Julio, its like racial slang. If you aren't part of the race, you can't use the word. In other words , if you aren't black , you shouldn't be dropping N bombs.

so collectors aren't a part of the tattoo community? so the money that we give you doesn't count for something?

i wrote out a rant because i'm in a terrible mood this moring and feel like spouting off, but i think for the moment i'll just keep shut. anyways, it's just words, and while yes, some of them appeart to be stupid, it's really a matter of taste and personal choice.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recent Posts

• Hey.  I have this on my hand and I want to blend it with the rest of the tattoo. There will be some more tattoos in the white bits above it but I need an idea on how I can merge the armband with the rest through a background or something. And also I'd like to have some sort of an ending on my forearm. I was thinking of a mandala design but not sure. Some gradient from the armband down into the mandala tattoo. If you have any suggestions please let me know.  https://imgur.com/a/AICbRo1
    • It just hurts, but it’s more deeper. It comes and goes, never consistent. Usually when I wake up or go to bed when I haven’t washed it yet or have put lotion on. Sometimes it still gets irritated. According to my artist, it has healed nicely. I’m wondering if it’s an allergic reaction or the way I would position my arm when I would sleep for the past month to avoid damage to the tattoo. Sorry, I really don’t know how to explain it properly 
    • You need to be more specific about that ache but i dont really see how it can be related to the tattoo
  • Last Sparrow Tattoo Sponsors

• Instagram #LastSparrow

• Recent Topics

• Similar Content

• By Steve
      Thread closed - this falls under this rule:
      Do not start threads asking about specific tattooing equipment or techniques, LST is not here to teach anyone how to tattoo. Ask your own tattooer, the next time you are getting tattooed. Maybe they'll answer you, maybe they won't.
      http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/misc.php?do=vsarules
    • By Thewaydown
      Hello, I am 26 years old and I reside in the state of Utah. I have a few tattoos, one of which I am looking to get covered up. I am new to the forum.
      The tattoo in question is a 1/3 sleeve (almost a half sleeve, it starts about an inch and a half above my elbow. It is completely filled in (there is basically no skin showing, besides the inside of by bicep) It is of a graveyard that I got done when I turned 18, hasty to get a new tattoo by a bad ass dude. I have another tattoo by the same guy which I love, just over the years, I have started to hate the graveyard. It has a lot of black lines (trees, gravestones, fence, grass) some lighter green for the grass, some brown in the trees, grey for the headstones, and red/dark purple for the sky.
      I have already heard the whole "you should just learn to live with it and deal with it" spiel and I disagree.
      The cover up I want isn't the most traditional, I guess. I have gotten really into "blackwork" and "dotwork", and I would really like to completely black out the half sleeve. My question is: Would it look like shit if I just went and got the tattoo completely blacked out over the top of it? Would it look completely obvious that it was a cover up, or would it just not look as solid and it would had I just gotten an all black half sleeve to begin with?
      Thanks, this is probably an amateur question, but no one I know has been able to give me a clear answer.
      thewaydown
    • By OutOfIdeas
      Haven't been around for a while as I don't have regular Internet access, but I had a quick question...
      I've heard and read tons of info on tattooing over scars, and the results of. My question is sort of the opposite.
      I'm hoping to do a full chest piece over the next month or two, and I'm quite excited for it. My only concern is that at some point in the next 5 years or so, I will be having heart surgery, replacing the valves due to a lifelong condition.
      When they do the surgery, chances are (as I understand it) very low that it will be an open heart surgery similar to the one I had as a child, but if that did happen what effect would it have on the tattoo? I realize it will mess it up considerably, but does anyone know if it would leave fresh, skin toned scar tissue that could eventually be touched up, or will it just be a jumbled mess of ink? Does anyone have experience with scarring over tattoos, either by surgery or accident or anything? I've never heard anything about it, but I'm certainly not the most educated tattoo wise, being from a small redneck town...
      I realize the best possible idea would be to wait until after the surgery, but the chances of having open heart as opposed to the surgery done by camera (laparoscopic?) is very low, and I'm mostly just asking out of curiosity rather than concern...
      Thanks for any and all input/advice
    • By else
      So - here's my dilemma.
      My goal is "squid pants". And I honestly don't really care much what all goes into them. I have a (short) list of things that I don't want... but otherwise I care more about just having good looking work on me. I want "fancy" legs. That's it.
      So how do I convey this to potential tattooers without sounding like a total flake? I worry that if I say "I don't care, do whatever you want, except for "x" things" they'll brush me off as someone who is in it just for some kind of status thing or something... which isn't the case at all. It's VERY personal to me. It's just that I'm not attached to any specific imagery.
      I don't want to "overshare" with my tale of woe about why exactly I need fancy legs... but I don't want to get written off either...
      Any advice?
    • By Delicious
      I am tired of hearing this question and I am barely tattooed. anytime one of my TWO tattoos show, it is always the same question. How much it cost and what does it mean. The price part I answer truthfully, they always get sticker shock though. And always the reply is, "Oh my boy did mine for 20 bucks, you should hit him up" as they show me the most messed up cheetah tattoo I have ever seen.
      Then they go into this big long tirade about the fact tattoos are supposed to have meaning. "Blah blah blah my tattoo means x, y, z, and for my dead parakeet when I was three and my abandonment issues and how I have become stronger as a person."
      Then they stop and ask me if tattoos really hurt, because they have all these tattoos planned but are afraid it will hurt, and they dont like pain!
      it gets old, quick. and I only have 2 tattoos. How do you more covered people deal with this kind of bs? I am assuming you get it alot more than I do but honestly, I would feel like punching people if I had way more tattoos to be demanded on the spot to explain, give the cost, then listen to other people's future tattoo plans.
      A quick aside, I like telling people how much my tattoos cost, because the ones who want them but hate to pay, it makes them reconsider really getting a tattoo.

• Recent Posts

• Hey.  I have this on my hand and I want to blend it with the rest of the tattoo. There will be some more tattoos in the white bits above it but I need an idea on how I can merge the armband with the rest through a background or something. And also I'd like to have some sort of an ending on my forearm. I was thinking of a mandala design but not sure. Some gradient from the armband down into the mandala tattoo. If you have any suggestions please let me know.  https://imgur.com/a/AICbRo1
    • It just hurts, but it’s more deeper. It comes and goes, never consistent. Usually when I wake up or go to bed when I haven’t washed it yet or have put lotion on. Sometimes it still gets irritated. According to my artist, it has healed nicely. I’m wondering if it’s an allergic reaction or the way I would position my arm when I would sleep for the past month to avoid damage to the tattoo. Sorry, I really don’t know how to explain it properly 
    • You need to be more specific about that ache but i dont really see how it can be related to the tattoo
  • Last Sparrow Tattoo Sponsors

• Instagram #LastSparrow

• Recent Topics

• Similar Content

• By Steve
      Thread closed - this falls under this rule:
      Do not start threads asking about specific tattooing equipment or techniques, LST is not here to teach anyone how to tattoo. Ask your own tattooer, the next time you are getting tattooed. Maybe they'll answer you, maybe they won't.
      http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/misc.php?do=vsarules
    • By Thewaydown
      Hello, I am 26 years old and I reside in the state of Utah. I have a few tattoos, one of which I am looking to get covered up. I am new to the forum.
      The tattoo in question is a 1/3 sleeve (almost a half sleeve, it starts about an inch and a half above my elbow. It is completely filled in (there is basically no skin showing, besides the inside of by bicep) It is of a graveyard that I got done when I turned 18, hasty to get a new tattoo by a bad ass dude. I have another tattoo by the same guy which I love, just over the years, I have started to hate the graveyard. It has a lot of black lines (trees, gravestones, fence, grass) some lighter green for the grass, some brown in the trees, grey for the headstones, and red/dark purple for the sky.
      I have already heard the whole "you should just learn to live with it and deal with it" spiel and I disagree.
      The cover up I want isn't the most traditional, I guess. I have gotten really into "blackwork" and "dotwork", and I would really like to completely black out the half sleeve. My question is: Would it look like shit if I just went and got the tattoo completely blacked out over the top of it? Would it look completely obvious that it was a cover up, or would it just not look as solid and it would had I just gotten an all black half sleeve to begin with?
      Thanks, this is probably an amateur question, but no one I know has been able to give me a clear answer.
      thewaydown
    • By OutOfIdeas
      Haven't been around for a while as I don't have regular Internet access, but I had a quick question...
      I've heard and read tons of info on tattooing over scars, and the results of. My question is sort of the opposite.
      I'm hoping to do a full chest piece over the next month or two, and I'm quite excited for it. My only concern is that at some point in the next 5 years or so, I will be having heart surgery, replacing the valves due to a lifelong condition.
      When they do the surgery, chances are (as I understand it) very low that it will be an open heart surgery similar to the one I had as a child, but if that did happen what effect would it have on the tattoo? I realize it will mess it up considerably, but does anyone know if it would leave fresh, skin toned scar tissue that could eventually be touched up, or will it just be a jumbled mess of ink? Does anyone have experience with scarring over tattoos, either by surgery or accident or anything? I've never heard anything about it, but I'm certainly not the most educated tattoo wise, being from a small redneck town...
      I realize the best possible idea would be to wait until after the surgery, but the chances of having open heart as opposed to the surgery done by camera (laparoscopic?) is very low, and I'm mostly just asking out of curiosity rather than concern...
      Thanks for any and all input/advice
    • By else
      So - here's my dilemma.
      My goal is "squid pants". And I honestly don't really care much what all goes into them. I have a (short) list of things that I don't want... but otherwise I care more about just having good looking work on me. I want "fancy" legs. That's it.
      So how do I convey this to potential tattooers without sounding like a total flake? I worry that if I say "I don't care, do whatever you want, except for "x" things" they'll brush me off as someone who is in it just for some kind of status thing or something... which isn't the case at all. It's VERY personal to me. It's just that I'm not attached to any specific imagery.
      I don't want to "overshare" with my tale of woe about why exactly I need fancy legs... but I don't want to get written off either...
      Any advice?
    • By Delicious
      I am tired of hearing this question and I am barely tattooed. anytime one of my TWO tattoos show, it is always the same question. How much it cost and what does it mean. The price part I answer truthfully, they always get sticker shock though. And always the reply is, "Oh my boy did mine for 20 bucks, you should hit him up" as they show me the most messed up cheetah tattoo I have ever seen.
      Then they go into this big long tirade about the fact tattoos are supposed to have meaning. "Blah blah blah my tattoo means x, y, z, and for my dead parakeet when I was three and my abandonment issues and how I have become stronger as a person."
      Then they stop and ask me if tattoos really hurt, because they have all these tattoos planned but are afraid it will hurt, and they dont like pain!
      it gets old, quick. and I only have 2 tattoos. How do you more covered people deal with this kind of bs? I am assuming you get it alot more than I do but honestly, I would feel like punching people if I had way more tattoos to be demanded on the spot to explain, give the cost, then listen to other people's future tattoo plans.
      A quick aside, I like telling people how much my tattoos cost, because the ones who want them but hate to pay, it makes them reconsider really getting a tattoo.