New and question for artists concerning others work

Shaneprice

So I got a half sleeve done about two years ago on my upper arm, all different things referring to my religious beliefs, I got everything I asked for. Liked the work and there was an open spot left that is nearly the entire back of my arm. Since that I have had a little trouble getting ahold of the artist(not impossible) just kind of feel like I have to bug him to get a reply, and he made it very clear he wasn't too fond of doing Christian tattoos, if I decide to fill that spot would it be wrong of me to go to another artist to have the rest of my sleeve finished since it would be incorporated with his work? I know there is alot of unwritten rules in tattooing and I don't want to piss anyone off. Just would like to finish my sleeve and have it done by someone who isn't tattooing something they don't like. Please give me your opinion.

Let's break this down for a sec. You recieved work that you were happy with from said tattooer. You've reached out explaining that you would like to pay this person to do more work in the same subject matter. This person barely responds to you and doesn't want to do more Christian imagery that you want on your arm. Am i correct? Why the f*ck do you feel like you need to stick with this person who clearly is not interested? Find someone else and don't think twice about it. But stick around, let us know where you're from and we'll help direct you to someone great and less of a diva in what they will or will not tattoo.

Sometimes there is a taboo about one artist finishing another's work. This tends to apply more to having someone colour a tattoo that was outlined by someone else. Even this gets done if the reasoning behind the switch is sensible.

If you have complete work and just want to get more added in blank spots there should be nothing holding you back. Find someone who is stoked to do the tattoos you want, that's how you'll get the best quality work. Enjoy what you got from the first artist, keep your coments about them discreet as you have and keep us posted on what you add.

Sometimes there is a taboo about one artist finishing another's work. This tends to apply more to having someone colour a tattoo that was outlined by someone else. Even this gets done if the reasoning behind the switch is sensible.

Chris Dingwall did an award winning dragon on my leg at a show in the 90's with the intent of coloring it when the outline healed. Long story short, this never happened. 20 years later I decide to get it colored and found Chris was working in New England so I email him and got the okay to have someone else finish the job.

With a clear conscience and good mojo, I sought out a local artist who was stoked to be working on a Dingwall piece and happily finished the job.