Ass tattoos

• 5 months later...

I’ve not started on my back piece yet but I’ve been communicating with my artist about my plans. She strongly advised me to consider doing butt cheeks as part of the back piece. She said that most of her clients who get a back piece without the butt eventually come back and want their cheeks done, and it is difficult to extend a finished back piece onto the butt without it looking like an awkward “add on.”  She also advised that including the butt allows better use of the body as a canvas because it allows the image to have more “flow” over a larger surface to create a cohesive design that compliments the body.

It does seem that visually, the butt is sort of a continuation of the surface of the back. The crease at the bottom of the butt is sort of a strong termination line, and a natural place to stop, whereas the waist is pretty undefined. So stopping a design at the waist is sort of arbitrary. It makes sense to use the butt as part of the back, rather than a separate body part. Since I am doing a Japanese style back, it would have one large image or theme, rather than several individual pieces, so it does make sense to include the butt.