Is there any advantage in a hand poked tattoo?

Vhiden

Hello, I'm planning on getting a small diamond below my knee. There's an artist I know that works with this technique and I wanted to know if there's any pros or cons or if I should stick with the traditional method.

l.jpg

Like @mmikaoj said - hand poking is how tattoos were originally created so they will hold as long as electric if are done by a pro.

The reason people end up with crappy home poked tatts where the ink falls out is that people don't know what they are doing.

Even if done professionally, they will naturally have a more 'hand made' quality and take longer too!

So I suppose it depends how you want your tattoo to look more than anything.

I've seen some of the work by Jenna Bouma (Slowerblack, East River Tattoo in NYC), and you can tell that it's hand made. The reason for this is that the lines are made by a bunch of dots connected rather than a single motion. Even at her speed, which quite frankly is really impressive, it's a slower technique. Less skilled usually results in a more obvious dotted line.

As for any possible "pros", it's a different feeling than machine tattoos... And people on tumblr will love you...

I'd say that chances are that this stick and poke "artist" has most likely never been an apprentice, and probably doesn't have any training in keeping a safe workplace other than what they learned from the internet and common sense. I mean you don't have to be an expert at the internet to find some pretty sketchy "artists" on instagram.

Looking at his Instagram he doesn't have any tattoos himself. Don't get tattooed by somebody like that.

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/915-tattooers-little-no-tattoos.html

agree I cant say I would see a situation that I would allow a non tattooed person tattoo me - that said - hand poke or tebori or other forms of tattooing I would be open to - even if just for what I would consider to be a unique tattoo experience - I dont know that I would actively seek it out though - but maybe one day it will become of interest...

• 2 weeks later...
Looking at his Instagram he doesn't have any tattoos himself. Don't get tattooed by somebody like that.

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/general-tattoo-discussion/915-tattooers-little-no-tattoos.html

Somebody like that? By saying that you are having the exact same attitude and being as prejudiced as the people who don`t hire tattooed persons and so.

Somebody like that? By saying that you are having the exact same attitude and being as prejudiced as the people who don`t hire tattooed persons and so.

Apologies for the offence. Is this better?

Don't get tattooed specifically by @Ponto Tattoo because he doesn't have the conviction to actually have tattoos, but yet wants to take your money to put a garbage Pinterest tattoo on you. Please refer to the linked-to thread as to why he is a parasite.

I've seen some of the work by Jenna Bouma (Slowerblack, East River Tattoo in NYC), and you can tell that it's hand made. The reason for this is that the lines are made by a bunch of dots connected rather than a single motion. Even at her speed, which quite frankly is really impressive, it's a slower technique. Less skilled usually results in a more obvious dotted line.

I've also seen Jenna's work up close over the years, she's done several tattoos on one of my best friends and was a friend of my old bandmates (she's originally from our city). I will concur her work definately has that handmade look, but her stuff stands out as very professional in comparison to the hipster DIY tattoo-party crap you tend to see all over. I believe she's put in a lot of effort and heart travelling the world and learning the style/tech that she executes. I'd like to get a small tattoo from her one day if the opportunity comes, more for the collector element - both receiving a stick/poke and getting tattooed by a woman (which I haven't yet). She seems to get back to Edmonton every couple of years...

This bud of mine with the stick/poke collection said he likes the silence of it, it's therapeutic for him. I am completely opposite, heavy hands and fucking loud machines are what get me off.

Apologies for the offence. Is this better?

Don't get tattooed specifically by @Ponto Tattoo because he doesn't have the conviction to actually have tattoos, but yet wants to take your money to put a garbage Pinterest tattoo on you. Please refer to the linked-to thread as to why he is a parasite.

Haha no offense taken at all, not even for your renewed vows. you know nothing, good luck

I thought that you could make thinner lines when hand poking, I'm I wrong?

The hand or machine makes the line...the needle and grouping determines how thick or thin the lines are. A machine with a single needle can make a line just as thin, if not thinner and cleaner.

I've also seen Jenna's work up close over the years, she's done several tattoos on one of my best friends and was a friend of my old bandmates (she's originally from our city). I will concur her work definately has that handmade look, but her stuff stands out as very professional in comparison to the hipster DIY tattoo-party crap you tend to see all over. I believe she's put in a lot of effort and heart travelling the world and learning the style/tech that she executes. I'd like to get a small tattoo from her one day if the opportunity comes, more for the collector element - both receiving a stick/poke and getting tattooed by a woman (which I haven't yet). She seems to get back to Edmonton every couple of years...

This bud of mine with the stick/poke collection said he likes the silence of it, it's therapeutic for him. I am completely opposite, heavy hands and fucking loud machines are what get me off.

me too