Who: Crafty

crafty

How: I googled Tattoo Forums and this is the first one that came up. I liked the description, site is well put together and appears to be active.

Why: I have questions about tattoos.

The rules suggested if I have a question that asking it in my introduction is acceptable, and I did search the topic and came up empty.

My Father passed in November and I have questions about memorial tattoos with cremains in the ink. Basically, amount needed? I've seen it suggested that very little is needed, which makes sense.. but it is simply a process of the artist mixing it into the ink? What sort of possible issues would that bring up? As far as sterilization, infection etc..

Is there any further processing that needs to be done? I had read that some people ask that the cremains be baked beforehand, which almost makes sense to me, as that would imply further sterilization but, they've already been through cremation so I would think the ashes would be as sterile as could be.

Is it a taboo subject? I'm sure some tattoo artists would be objected to it, but is that more of a minority?

Can the ashes only be placed in black ink?

How does one go about a memorial tattoo in general?

What are some appropriate places for a Father/Son memorial tattoo? I was thinking over heart or arm?

That's about all the questions I have about it at the moment. Thanks!

Welcome Crafty! I'm sorry for your loss.

As far as your question goes, I love the idea of using your father's remains in your tattoo. For the specific questions about how to use the ash, I think your best bet is to find a tattooer and talk to him or her in person about it. I don't think it would be a taboo subject, but then again, if the tattooer isn't into the idea, they aren't the right person for the job anyway.

Needles and Sins has a couple of posts about tattoos with cremation ash in them. I don't know if you've seen them yet, but if not, you might find them interesting.

Needles and Sins Tattoo Blog | Cremation Ashes Memorial Tattoo

Needles and Sins Tattoo Blog | Hand-Poked Cremation Ashes Tattoo

As far as going about getting a memorial tattoo and the placement for it, the same rules apply as for getting any other tattoo. Do your research and find a quality artist. I'm sure somebody here can chime in with some solid recommendations in your area. For placement, arm and chest are both great. It depends on what you're comfortable with and what the design is.

Good luck.

how to go about = generally the consensus is that an image (something that you did together, or anything that reminds you of him) is more interesting in the long run than a literal name and date kind of thing.

mixing the ashes would be an artist agreement kind of thing. quantity is probably as little as you can get by with and feel comfortable that they are in there.

you'll need to start by getting a quality artist, and that search will depend on what style of artwork you want to gravitate towards.

how to go about = generally the consensus is that an image (something that you did together, or anything that reminds you of him) is more interesting in the long run than a literal name and date kind of thing.

Yeah, I've been tossing around ideas. I was trying to think of things that reminded me of him, he was a marine, a jack of all trades, he was quiet, a philosopher.. many things that I've found out after his passing vs before.

The things done together is harder, he was sick for a long time so a lot of what we did as we became closer was just sit in silence together or talk, though we did tour the country in a van with my band one summer. Picking a starting image has been difficult because of that.

mixing the ashes would be an artist agreement kind of thing. quantity is probably as little as you can get by with and feel comfortable that they are in there.

Understood. One site had suggested a 'pinch' of the ashes, which is probably all that's necessary. I wouldn't want an ash sludge, but as you stated, enough to feel that they're in the ink and enough has transferred to that tattoo.

you'll need to start by getting a quality artist, and that search will depend on what style of artwork you want to gravitate towards.

I hadn't thought much about style until you mentioned it. I feel like American Traditional may be a good representation of him.

A quality artist is my number one priority. I'm not sure I'll find what I'm looking for locally, but a little travel is always welcomed.

Hey crafty, welcome! Very sorry for your loss!

To be honest, my first reaction to your idea was 'ugh creepy', but on second thought I have to say it's actually quite lovely and will probably feel very powerful and intimate at the same time.

As for the placement, to me, on the chest near where the heart is seems like a very appropriate place if your chosen design fits.

Not sure about the taboo factor, but as you're not going to be dealing with bankers or lawyers (no offence to anyone on this forum of course) but tattooists, I think your chances are good not to get kicked out straight away ;-)

Dusty Neal has a cool twist on traditional. He's in Fort Worth, I think.

Fort Wayne it seems. Kick ass instagram. If not the memorial, his artwork fits another idea for sure.

I don't know how close to Chicago you are but if you're interested in traditional Americana you should check out Great Lakes Tattoo. Tim Beck in Peoria is another excellent choice.

Bloomington is probably about five hours to Chicago, four hours to Ft. Wayne. Not far at all really.

Any particular song remind you of that specific band trip?
USMC bulldog, or eagle/globe/anchor. Traditional is definitely the way to go imo.

No songs that immediately spring to mind. The globe and anchor was something I was tossing around. It's hard to decide on one element to showcase.

Hey crafty, welcome! Very sorry for your loss!

To be honest, my first reaction to your idea was 'ugh creepy', but on second thought I have to say it's actually quite lovely and will probably feel very powerful and intimate at the same time.

As for the placement, to me, on the chest near where the heart is seems like a very appropriate place if your chosen design fits.

Not sure about the taboo factor, but as you're not going to be dealing with bankers or lawyers (no offence to anyone on this forum of course) but tattooists, I think your chances are good not to get kicked out straight away ;-)

I think the creepy reaction is natural simply on a human level.

I appreciate all the feedback.

My Dads Obituary

Maybe this will help spur some suggestions?