Possible red reaction?

nerdlove

Hello everyone,

I had a tattoo done on my forearm about 2 weeks ago with mostly black ink and some red lines. The tattoo artist recommended the "dry" aftercare. It eventually scabbed in some areas but now most of the scabbing/peeling has fallen off naturally.

The black portions of the tattoo look great. No color issues or reactions. However, the red lines are raised and just started itching.The raising of the red was apparent early on during healing but the itching is new and started yesterday. The color also is a dark pink instead of the true red that was put on. While healing, some of the red areas were bumpy and those areas scarred and took the longest to fall off. Oddly, it's not those portions that are itchy but the parts of the red where the scabs fell off first (the thinner lines). There still seems to be a thin layer of skin over all of the red lines so there's still some healing going on. From what I can tell, the artist may have been heavy handed with the red as well.

I've contacted my artist via e-mail but just thought I would try for any opinions here. Is this common or should I see a dermatologist soon?

Thanks for any input.

T

Whether or not going to a dermatologist after a tattoo is strictly up to the tattooed as you know but want to put that out there as the feedback comes in. Is this a new tattooer to you? Is this your first tattoo or do you have several or??? If you have a few what is your normal healing process like.

I tend to air on the less worried side though I think this has to do with mainly getting tattooed by people who have been around for awhile so I trust what they put in their pigments, techniques, sterilizations, etc. Red for me mostly itches, is raised, etc and is the hardest color for my body to retain but it normally ends up fine in the long run.

Hope this helps.....

thanks for the replies. this is my first tattoo that covers almost the entire outer portion of my forearm. i guess i'm not really familiar with how the healing process is and what i can expect. i have some medical conditions so i was mainly worried about infections but an allergy never crossed my mind.

"dry" aftercare is basically not using any ointments or lotion 2-3 days until the tattoo starts to tighten. just washing 2-3 times a day. once the tattoo starts to tighten, the artist told me to start using a fragrance-free lotion 3-4 times/day.

it's contrary to most of what i read online but all the artists at the parlor agreed. it's a pretty reputable place so i took their advice. the dry technique might be a reason why the red is still irritated. i'm not sure. i already went through the initial 4-5 day itching period about 3 days after the tattoo. it stopped itching but once it finished peeling and most of the scabs came off, just the red outlines started itching. maybe this is a second phase of healing. i'm trying not to worry but it's just in my nature.

thanks again for the advice and input. i'll keep everyone updated.

With this being your first tattoo and all, you're just get excited about any change or something new with your tattoo. Try to just chill out, you wont know what it will look like until it completely heals, and your body is doing what it is natural for it to do... and thats grow back skin if you get injured. To make it very simple, a tattoo is just a cut with ink pushed in it. You should know if its infected, and if its not just keep putting lotion on. After that if theres a problem with it, go back to the shop and ask the tattoo artist about it.

• 1 year later...

I had piece done on my arm ( consisted of a lot of red pigment) and the same thing happen'd to me but lasted about 4 months, I tried things to lower the itch and the swelling where the red was applied but nothing worked, I ended up just baking my tattoo with the sun, yes the sun, ill let it sit for a few min a day and with in about a few weeks the itch and the swelling went away, may not work for you but as an artist i would normally say "stay away from the sun" but in this case ill say try it.

It's your first tattoo and the best advice is to relax. I know most people (me included) got excited over the small things. It's a wound that is healing. I also use something similar to the "dry method" with basically a lot more washing (and really hot water). Unless it's really blistering or looking nasty I wouldn't worry too much.

Don't laugh...if it itches and you are getting raised lines, try using Preparation H. Once upon a time, it was the hot ticket for any tattoo, and I gotta confess, I still use it if work swells. It will take down the swelling and kill the itch.

Only drawback is you'll smell like an asshole.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Not sure if Bio - Oil would be any good on your tattoo, my tattooist told me to use bepanthem - a nappy rash cream you can get from a supermarket or chemist. Peeling is part of the normal healing process but don't pick it off as the Tattoo could heal patchy. Just let it peel/flake off naturally.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry to hijack your thread but I think I may be having some issues with the pink in my tattoo. I just got it and everything was fine for the first week and a half and then suddenly, I developed hives on the skin surrounding the tattoo. I stopped fussing with it and spoke to the shop and they said that its probably a reaction to the ink and to just leave it alone and it will eventually right itself. They also told me to come in or visit a dr if I had any concerns. So of course, I visited my dr. He too thinks that it's a reaction to the ink and prescribed me some antihistamines and a steroid cream. I haven't picked them up from the pharmacy yet. Now, I'm freaking the fuck out cuz it's no longer a raised welt but a giant blob of an angry red mess. Will the redness ever subside? Is this shit infected? I have tattoos from before and this is the first time this has happened to me. First pic is right after I got it done. Second pic is now. It's actually a deeper pink/red (the rash) in person.

Sorry to hijack your thread but I think I may be having some issues with the pink in my tattoo. I just got it and everything was fine for the first week and a half and then suddenly, I developed hives on the skin surrounding the tattoo. I stopped fussing with it and spoke to the shop and they said that its probably a reaction to the ink and to just leave it alone and it will eventually right itself. They also told me to come in or visit a dr if I had any concerns. So of course, I visited my dr. He too thinks that it's a reaction to the ink and prescribed me some antihistamines and a steroid cream. I haven't picked them up from the pharmacy yet. Now, I'm freaking the fuck out cuz it's no longer a raised welt but a giant blob of an angry red mess. Will the redness ever subside? Is this shit infected? I have tattoos from before and this is the first time this has happened to me. First pic is right after I got it done. Second pic is now. It's actually a deeper pink/red (the rash) in person.

Are you applying lotion to it? What kind and how often?