Neo Traditional

I am wanting to get a White tail deer tattoo and like this guys style. What do you think of him and is his stlye considered neo traditional?

STAY HUMBLE TATTOO COMPANY - An upscale tattoo establishment - Baltimore, Maryland

Dave does real nice work..I think he does a mix of neo traditional/realism work.Fran who works with Dave also does real nice work.Here's a deer he did in a neo traditional style.

https://www.instagram.com/p/8g6catjbJz/?taken-by=franmassino

https://www.instagram.com/tatmaker/ Is a versatile tattooer,and does nice work.

In my mind, neo-traditional is any personal style that has it's roots obviously in traditional methods/basics. Black outline with black shading. Bold colors are typical but not required. That stay humble link complies, in my opinion.

what you describe kinda just sounds like 'traditional' though

not to be argumentative but it almost seems like its an unnecessary category

unless its supposed to be that style which lies in between traditional and new school

kinda like traditional on steroids - bolder, looser, brighter?

anyway - its good convo right

what you describe kinda just sounds like 'traditional' though

not to be argumentative but it almost seems like its an unnecessary category

unless its supposed to be that style which lies in between traditional and new school

kinda like traditional on steroids - bolder, looser, brighter?

anyway - its good convo right

Well, traditional would be not only a style, but would reflect on and heavily lean towards historical renditions and executions. Maybe even subject matter.

To me, New School (or Skool, if you prefer) goes beyond "neo-traditional" and touches on for fully immerses itself into cartoon-like designs (which may or may not involve black outline and shading).

yeah new school is easy to identify i think in the exaggerated or cartoon styles in the design

interesting point you bring up though with regards to the differences with traditional and neo traditional in how you could even argue that content and most certainly design execution are factors - so much i guess is in the eye of the beholder and that elements they might be judging when they look to catagorize a particular tattoo

I always thought some of Bailey Robinson's stuff was sort of neo traditional. Traditional content but slightly more realistic.

see I think of his stuff (which I really like - hope to get a piece from him some day) as traditional

but i think like i said earlier these type of conversations are more for amusement or just interesting really - a classification doesnt (or shouldnt) change the your attraction (or lack of) to a particular tattoo

see I think of his stuff (which I really like - hope to get a piece from him some day) as traditional

but i think like i said earlier these type of conversations are more for amusement or just interesting really - a classification doesnt (or shouldnt) change the your attraction (or lack of) to a particular tattoo

That's the thing. I like styles as basic as Mark Cross and Krooked Ken but I want this tattoo to be a little more realistic while still having the lasting qualities of traditional. I don't think fine lines last as well.

• 3 weeks later...

IMO neo - traditional has a lot more detail to it than just traditional which very much relies on simple, strong design and often limited colours. New school is much more cartoon like with smooth colour gradients. But really it doesn't matter, if you're into it you're into it. The lines are becoming much more blurred as artists experiment with different techniques.