American Traditional Artist for sleeve

tc3500

I am looking for an Artist to do a sleeve on my left arm. Hoping that I can get a few names from this post to do more research.

Here is a pic of a sleeve that I really love, the limited color palette and spacing just really speak to me. Thanks for any help you can offer guys..............

222_Scrapbook_144895525442264.jpg

I failed to mention that location isn't too much of an issue, I live in Alaska and will travel to get the work done. The West Coast is easiest, Vegas would be fantastic.....but willing to go to most any location for the right artist. Thanks.

Looks like something one of the Spider Murphy's (or formerly Spider Murphy's) people could do really well, to just scratch the surface. If you look around on here, you'll find a lot of pictures of a bodysuit that Stuart Cripwell did that might inspire you. Check out the "tattoos & negative space" thread. @sophistre has a beautiful sleeve from Greg Whitehead that's traditional in style but with a really unique twist.

Thanks Marley, I am pretty new to tattoos and kind of assumed that to get the consistency I see in that sleeve it would need to be done by one artist and have the color applied pretty much at one time. Additionally, since I will travel for this I was thinking that many hours over several days with one artist would be smart budget wise.

I do LOVE Brooklyn and will look into both of those shops. Would be hard to go there and not have to add days of extra curricular activities that would double the price of the adventure, lol.

Thanks Polliwog!....exactly the kind oh help I'm looking for with this post, never occurred to me to search 'negative space'. This is the first time I have tried to research a tattoo that includes several images.....appreciate your post so much.

Edited by tc3500
comment to polliwog

check out the true love series tho

the guy hits like 10 northeast tattooers to do a sleeve one after the other

heavy hitters in the traditional style too

may give you some ideas

the guys at smith all have styles that are similar

and in that case a sleeve done by the four of them

would probably look pretty awesome

enjoy the process

I am not opposed to having multiple artists apply the sleeve, but was concerned that the color consistency may be an issue.....along with extra cost of travel. Maybe I should question some of the artists that I am considering as to the color concern. Thanks for the comments and for the artist names that have been posted here so far, these are just the kind of tattooers I was hoping to see work from.

I am not opposed to having multiple artists apply the sleeve, but was concerned that the color consistency may be an issue.....along with extra cost of travel. Maybe I should question some of the artists that I am considering as to the color concern. Thanks for the comments and for the artist names that have been posted here so far, these are just the kind of tattooers I was hoping to see work from.

You can have all three of these guys contribute to a nice sleeve for you.

California Electric tattoo parlour, Soquel, Santa Cruz

@Joe Shit....WOW!! There have been many great artists recommended in this thread so far, but Holy Smokes man!!....Really loving the art you linked, especially Herb Auerbach, but could easily see myself getting a lot of the work done by any of the three. Thank You SO much!!

Herb and Stefan are great guys. My wife and I both have work from them. Totally recommended.

Can't go wrong with Great Lakes Tattoo in Chicago. I'm in Minneapolis and like Leviticus but most people here will suggest Aloha Monkey and they are not wrong. Come to the Midwest. Most of the people in Alaska are from Minnesota anyway so you will feel comfortable here.

Yay another Minnesotan on here. We have a lot of good shops here, a lot of bad ones too

Can I third the recommendation for getting tattooed in the Midwest? I've only been to Tattoo Faction and Aloha Monkey and was/am frankly too new to tattoos/derpy because of nerves to fully appreciate either of them, but the people there are so friendly (coming from famously reserved New England) and you could get an amazing sleeve by picking flash off the wall with help from an artist at either place in terms of placement and whatnot. Going to a place with the history of Aloha Monkey and getting flash from a bunch of people who've been involved with it over the years could be a super fun way to approach this--Kandi Everett girl, Rollo dagger-stabbing-a-thing, etc etc. Plus the cost of staying there while you get this done might be lower than on either of the coasts.

• 4 years later...