Advice on whether or not to take kids to a tattoo convention

L2DB

My wife and I were planning to go to the Cleveland Tattoo Convention ( Cleveland Tattoo Arts Convention by Villain Arts ) this weekend, but can't get a sitter. I can go myself, but we were considering taking our kids (ages 3 and 6). They're relatively well behaved and the older one is into drawing and art, but, never having been to a convention, we're not sure if it's a good idea. We wouldn't be around during the suspensions or anything like that, but we're not sure if there's enough to keep them interested for ~2 hours or whatever and we don't want them to be a distraction to any of the artists or others.

Thoughts?

I think it's fine, and there have been children at the conventions I've been to. My son is almost five months old so he hasn't been to any yet, but we're totally going to bring him along to conventions. He's been to the shop a few times so far. Kids are fascinated by tattoos, so I'm sure there will be enough there to keep them interested for a while.

I agree that you'll probably be ok. I've only been to two conventions (both Montreal), and there would almost certainly be enough to keep kids interested (6yo for sure, depends on the 3yo but you know your kids best). Taxidermy stuff, art, tattooing, music, etc.

There's no way your kids will be more of a distraction to artists than the general loudness of the convention.

I've seen kids of different ages at the London as well as Brighton Convention and it seemed to be fine. After having been to those two conventions I'd totally take my now four year old next time to show him how mummy got her pictures on her legs ;-)

The thing is though, that it would be less relaxed for me and my partner and that we wouldn't be able to stay as long and take in as much as we'd like because our boy still needs quite a bit of attention. And to be fair I guess he would be bored after an hour or two. Still would be quite an experience for him, I image.

I wouldn't worry about the kids distracting the artist at all, unless they are likely to walk into the stall and cause havoc which might be a bit of a problem ;-) But there is so much noise and so many people around anyway, kids don't make a difference.

Let us know how it went and whether they liked it!

I have a different take on this. First, it's a free country and you can do whatever you feel comfortable with in regards to this.

My experience with getting tattooed at a convention is that I didn't really care for the children staring at me while I was getting a naked pinup tattoo on the inside of my thigh. Couple that with the weird positions that the male artist had to get into to do the tattoo on me (female) and it was just weird. I know that no one was doing anything wrong but I wouldn't choose to have children watching while a man is working between my legs.

Hindsight is 20/20; I won't choose a tattoo with adult subject matter or in an intimate place if I ever get a tattoo at a convention again.

I've only been to the Knoxville convention (twice) - and we are deep in the Bible belt. Even the shows (well, maybe not the suspension) would be Ok here. Enigma's show had several young kids up front watching, and they were enthralled. The art exhibition of three artists doing ten minutes each on three canvases was great. The first convention I went to had a local model agency doing sugar skull face painting. I saw a couple kids with that, and I'm sure they loved it. As far as around the active tattooing I would check down each isle first to make sure it is appropriate. To give the kids a "project", have them collect business cards from each artist. Then have them decide which cards they like best.

BTW, be ready to take them to a quiet area if they begin throwing a tantrum, or folks will think I'm there getting a tattoo!

be prepared for casual nudity at the convention.

it's a tattoo convention...so there will be all sorts of disrobing and dropping trough going down - from people receiving tattoos or just showing them off.

talk to the kids and be prepared to explain the context, "like mom and dad why is the checker man in a thong?" (ps don't let the kids see matt gones armpit tattoo)

i have never been to a convention so I hesitate to give advice here but i think I'd prefer to leave mine behind (13,10,8) really for selfish reasons

I'd think they would get bored and just become total buzzkills

which would be a major buzzkill if i was getting tattooed

or had traveled far to get there

anyway

but sometimes they suprise ya so....