New here and hoping you all will help me get a good tattoo!

Littlefs

I've been wanting tattoos for years but didn't want to bother with the military rules.

Now I'm retired and have map out my tattoos in my head but want to learn how to find a good artist to bring it together.

The first tattoo will be the one that reminds me that just because I don't think I'm beautiful doesn't mean I'm not, that I need to allow myself to be spontaneous and just enjoy life and that when sugar has turned to shit a good book will let me escape reality for a little while.

Yes, all of that in one tattoo and I know the images that will bring it together, a picture from my fav book that was drawn by the Bros. Hildebrandt (basically a castle Seen thru the trees) and a girl lounging against the tree who will look similar to a famous painting...but how do I find an artist that can do it....

Second tattoo will remind me that the PTSD that makes me jump is all in my head and I need to just relax....

Third tattoo will be for my son who was born in the year of the dragon...

Forth tattoo will be a vine starting at my right ankle and going all the way up across my back and down my left arm with flowers that have special meanings to me.

I thought I found the artist for me but I showed some of his work on another forum and got told by several that his worked sucked. I want to be more spontaneous but a bad tattoo for that reminder with have the opposite effect.

Well, that's me and my tattoo needs. Thanks for listening.

Welcome to LST and to tattoos in general! I think what you're asking for, especially that first one, is challenging to achieve in a tattoo. Which isn't to say that it's impossible, but it's certainly something that you're really going to have to find the right artist for. The Brothers Hildebrandt are great illustrators but it's not straight-forward to adapt their work to tattoos. Am I correct in thinking you want a tattoo somewhat based on this (I'm hoping embedding the image works, if it doesn't it's the Brothers Hildebrandt cover for the JRR Tolkein Architect of Middle Earth book)?

7c1957d52837e166a2d2662744126ecd.jpg

The first thing that came to mind are a couple of West Coast Canadian tattooers, Steve Moore and Rob Noseworthy. Again, hoping this works, but here's a big gorilla piece Rob did that I think shows he would be capable of doing what you want:

claysgorillas.jpg

Erin Chance in Richmond VA is another tattooer who I think could do a really good job with this.

I don't know how willing you are to travel to get tattooed, but I think especially if you're looking for something that requires a pretty special and specific set of skills, it's totally worth it to get a better tattoo than maybe you would locally. I hope this helps somewhat.

Thanks for the reply! I'm easily able to travel a few hours (Wisconsin/Chicago area) but I'm willing to go anywhere is US.

I don't know how to imbed a pic but what you picked is close. Just want black and grey and a single girl sleeping against the tree. I know the meaning behind the image sounds like I want everything plus the kitchen sink but not so much. Hope this link works. It's the Druids keep called Paranor from Terry Brooks Sword of Shannara. http://http://thefourlands.tumblr.com/post/112251647298/original-illustrations-for-the-sword-of-shannara

- - - Updated - - -

I thought I had an artist picked. Not because he had these images in his portfolio but because I thought his portfolio looked like skilled work. I'm hoping I will get better at learning to judge "good" work by hanging out on this forum.

I do want B&G. Color is pretty but just doesn't suit my style.

Welcome..I would go visit some shops in Chicago and you can maybe have a quick consultation with a few artists to discuss your idea.I always go with the artist i click with the best.You'll be spending some time with this person,so you want to feel comfortable with them.

The vine and flower idea from one side of the body to the other side sounds like it wont look good.I would consider going with a sleeve of flowers and a vine instead.

I was listening to joe rogan podcast and he had the doctor on who specialty is TBI. He has medication to help with that,and was offering free blood work to all vets.His site is @ Traumatic Brain Injury and NFL

Some artists to check out... Ryan Gutekunst | Insight Studios Online

https://www.instagram.com/chucho_quetzal/ https://www.instagram.com/dianaregalado/

TBI is not the same as PTSD.They are not treated the same way.I have PTSD from two tours in Vietnam.I have been going to therapy,and it helps.That and a little pill.

Yeah I Know..I mentioned it because the Doctor brought a soldier on who was suicidal after coming home from serving,and the guy got his blood work checked for free,and i think it found his hormones/testes levels were low,and he was put on this medication that the Dr.invented and he got better.

Thanks for the input! I do like a lot of the stuff at rockstar. Have you heard of blue lotus in Madison?

- - - Updated - - -

Well my PTSD is mostly handled well by the little pill. Can't seem to talk about it which most doctors believe is needed. One said I'm just the best at avoidance and so long as it doesn't mean I avoid life as a whole than its fine if I want to avoid (wish that Doctor was still working, he was the best for me).

Anyway thanks for the reply. Ryan is awesome but doesn't have quite the feel I'm looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh that little pill.... Ran out a few weeks ago and hate my new doctor. I really need to call VA and ask for a new one. I've been way too jumpy last several days but this new doctor can't get it thru her head that I don't need a mommy who's all "aw, you poor thing, tell me all about it". Whatever! Give me my pills and ask me if I need anything, accept my "no" and move on.

Thanks for the input! I do like a lot of the stuff at rockstar. Have you heard of blue lotus in Madison?

- - - Updated - - -

Well my PTSD is mostly handled well by the little pill. Can't seem to talk about it which most doctors believe is needed. One said I'm just the best at avoidance and so long as it doesn't mean I avoid life as a whole than its fine if I want to avoid (wish that Doctor was still working, he was the best for me).

Anyway thanks for the reply. Ryan is awesome but doesn't have quite the feel I'm looking for.

- - - Updated - - -

I

Oh that little pill.... Ran out a few weeks ago and hate my new doctor. I really need to call VA and ask for a new one. I've been way too jumpy last several days but this new doctor can't get it thru her head that I don't need a mommy who's all "aw, you poor thing, tell me all about it". Whatever! Give me my pills and ask me if I need anything, accept my "no" and move on.

It's not good to just stop the medication.Go to the VA and tell them you need to see a Doctor who will prescribe what you need.

My advice is to stick around here searching threads and let it all soak in. I came here 5 years ago with similar story, I wanted B&G large scale intricate tattoos. Well turns out I was just searching for a reason to be tattooed (something that meant something to me) when all along I just really liked tattoos and 95% of what I get will have no meaning at allother than being badass, cool or beautiful to me