The Netflix Thread

ShawnPorter

One of the other community sites I frequent (Skullbrain.org- Japanese & Kaiju toy community) has a Netflix thread where we comb through the massive amounts of crap NF has to offer and try to pull out the rare gems.

Here's my list of must see stuff that's currently available for streaming:

1. Burden of Dreams. Docu on the filming of Werner Herzog's Fitzcarraldo.

2. I think we're alone now. Docu on two people who could be considered stalkers of teen icon Tiffany.

3. Plain Clothes. I watched this so many times as a kid that the tape broke. 80s "young looking cop returns to high school" film.

4. No Reservations. Any season. Viva Anthony Bourdain.

5. Cruising. Al Pacino goes undercover in NYC's Gay Leather underground to find a serial killer.

6. Dogtooth. Greek film. Very unsettling. Couldn't believe they nominated this for an oscar.

What's on your list?

This is awesome. I added "i think were alone now" thanks!

Until the Light Takes Us: Taking viewers deep inside the notorious "Inner Circle" that promoted murder, suicide and church burning in the Norwegian black metal subculture of the 1990s. Rare footage and interviews with musicians -- including Gylve "Fenriz" Nagell, Varg "Count Grishnackh" Vikernes and Jan Axel "Hellhammer" Blomberg.

Fetishes: This provocative documentary takes a trip inside Pandora's Box, one of New York City's most luxurious S&M clubs, capturing some of the clients -- most of them seemingly low-key, ordinary people -- as they fulfill their secret sexual cravings.

Louis Season 1: Stand-up comic Louis C.K. displays his special warmth in this post-Seinfeld diary of a New York comedian trying to make his mark and raise two daughters alone.

LoudQUIETloud: The Pixies mesmerized fans during the late 1980s and early '90s until internal tension broke them up. Get an insider's look at the band's reunion tour in 2004.

An Education: Jenny's Oxford-bound teen life is a bore in 1961 London until she's given a different kind of education after being immersed in the beguiling but hazardous world of much-older David.

Crazy Love: This documentary chronicles the disturbing true story of an obsessive relationship gone awry in 1950s New York between Burt Pugach, a married lawyer, and his twentysomething mistress, Linda Riss.

Which Way Home- about children trying to illegally immigrate(mostly on their own) into the states from central america and mexico. totally soul crushing.

la mission- you have to watch it. so good.

cropsey- a documentary on the urban legends surrounding willowbrook state mental hospital and andre rand. it was pretty interesting.

epicly later'd: john cardiel- about john cardiel, his life as a pro skater, and his recovery after being paralyzed. i think it was put out by Vice, but it's actually a pretty good watch.

kurt cobain: about a son- not a huge Nirvana fan (i like and respect them, but i don't love them), but this film was beautiful. i had never really heard Cobain talk about his life in his own words, so it was nice to hear his perspective on everything. visually, it was stunning.

moon- totally thought it was going to be a ripoff of solaris and 2001, but it ended not being one, and was so much more. totally bawling by the end of it!

beautiful losers- documentary that was based off of the traveling exhibition with the same title, featuring artists like Barry McGee, Sheherd Fairey, etc. and directed by Andy Rose. i found it inspirational, regardless of how much i relate to the actual work being made.

champion- documentary on Danny Trejo!!!

the proposition- written by Nick Cave, it's a western that takes place in the Austrailian outback. very Cormac McCarthyish. could watch it a million times.

i've loved you so long - totally thought this was going to be some kind of european "chick flick" (i hate that term and i hate the movies that go along with it), but boy was i wrong. it's about a woman who is released from prison after serving time for murder, and returns to her sister's home to rebuild her life. it's really a film about being outcasted and finding redemption. also about forgiving, not only others, but yourself for the choices you have made in your life.

we jam econo is on netflix instant. seriously, even if you don't like The Minutemen, it's completely worth watching. really inspirational, and it shows a different side of punk rock, one that i related to so much more. i loved The Minutemen before seeing it, but i fell in love even more after watching it. i cried by the end of this too.

Just watched instantly the Family Business over the past two nights and had never heard of this film. Sean Connery, Dustin Hoffman, and Matthew Broderick. I love Connery films! The best bond.

Glad to hear Moon is decent as it has been sitting in my instant que for sometime but haven't been able to bring myself to watching it.

Just watched instantly the Family Business over the past two nights and had never heard of this film. Sean Connery, Dustin Hoffman, and Matthew Broderick. I love Connery films! The best bond.

Glad to hear Moon is decent as it has been sitting in my instant que for sometime but haven't been able to bring myself to watching it.

Loch, moon struck me as so much more than decent.

Yeah, I've seen it= the original pre-festival cut of it no less.

(Hopefully it's not on Netflix!)

It's unrelenting. Someone the other day called it this generation's SALO, but I think it's much more extreme than that. I'm not sure I buy all of Spasojevic's "this is a political piece about the horrors of living in modern Serbia" bullshit. It's exploitation, pure and simple. And probably the most brutal film of it's kind that I've ever seen.

And not just because of the few now infamous WTF scenes- the whole film has a tone that you just can't shake.

Theres a really interesting docudrama on there called Pumping Iron (1977).This film follows the preparation of the leading lights of the sport of body-building for the two major contests of 1975 most particularly the main protagonists ,Arnold Schwarzenegger and Lou Ferrigno .