Greetings!

lvel

Hello!

I'm new to the whole tattoo thing but I do have quite a few piercings (ear lobes, septum, tongue, and both nipples...planning for more). I am working on getting my first tattoo in May (on my sternum - yes, I've been warned) in San Antonio. I will be flying in from California to get this done (and visit my significant other!) I'm quite excited and nervous at the same time, but I'm determined to sit through this session like a rock and have the rest of the ones I want planned go buy as "painless" as possible, if that's even possible. (lol)

I'd love to hear more about anyone else's first tattoos and if anyone has any advice (besides not to get it on my sternum) - particularly since I'll be flying home on Sunday (appointment is for Saturday) - I am worried about cleanliness of being packed like sardines into an airplane for 5-6 hours.

Thanks in advanced!

For me, if I am well rested, as relaxed as possible, well hydrated with water, and well fed, something nutritious, an hour before the tattoo seems to go easier. I like early morning appointments instead of late in the day since I would not have spent my energy early. Don't stress about the placement, the pain is momentary, and you'll have a beautiful piece of art forever!

Ask your artist what they recommend for keeping clean in the airplane and airport. Some artists recommend keeping it wrapped longer, or cleaning frequently. See what they say.

I hope you enjoy your trip and your first tattoo!

- - - Updated - - -

For me, if I am well rested, as relaxed as possible, well hydrated with water, and well fed, something nutritious, an hour before the tattoo seems to go easier. I like early morning appointments instead of late in the day since I would not have spent my energy early. Don't stress about the placement, the pain is momentary, and you'll have a beautiful piece of art forever!

Ask your artist what they recommend for keeping clean in the airplane and airport. Some artists recommend keeping it wrapped longer, or cleaning frequently. See what they say.

Hi, welcome!

What are you going to get and who's doing it?

Check out these threads for stories and tips:

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/crazy-tattoo-stories/5-your-first-tattoo-story.html

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/crazy-tattoo-stories/250-pre-post-tattoo-rituals.html

I haven't had to fly yet but you might want to look into Tegaderm/Saniderm. Some people hate it, some love it. I've used it for my thigh tattoos and are pretty much sold. Super easy and worry free healing.

Lots of info about it in this thread:

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-after-care/4795-tegaderm-saniderm-tatuderm-healing-process-page4.html

Happy reading :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you! I will take that information into account and maybe look into moving my appointment to the morning instead of the evening and ask them about what they think :)

- - - Updated - - -

Hi, welcome!

What are you going to get and who's doing it?

Check out these threads for stories and tips:

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/crazy-tattoo-stories/5-your-first-tattoo-story.html

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/crazy-tattoo-stories/250-pre-post-tattoo-rituals.html

I haven't had to fly yet but you might want to look into Tegaderm/Saniderm. Some people hate it, some love it. I've used it for my thigh tattoos and are pretty much sold. Super easy and worry free healing.

Lots of info about it in this thread:

http://www.lastsparrowtattoo.com/forum/tattoo-after-care/4795-tegaderm-saniderm-tatuderm-healing-process-page4.html

Happy reading :-)

Thank you! I used Tegaderm for my piercings when I go swimming, and I love how sterile it is, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find one that is sized right for my sternum (going between my breast and under them from one side to the other).

Thank you! I used Tegaderm for my piercings when I go swimming, and I love how sterile it is, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to find one that is sized right for my sternum (going between my breast and under them from one side to the other).

Interesting, I didn't know that you can use Tegaderm for piercings, too. I'm not into piercing though, so why would I... ;-)

Anyway, it comes in different sizes but if it's still too small, you can use several pieces. Just make sure they overlap a little. I think I used two about A4 sized ones on my thigh. You'd want to make sure to give it enough space around the actual tattoo so it doesn't leak. If you do consider using it, it's probably worth going through the above thread or post specific question in there.