Importance of knowing where your supplies come from?

mattyrunks

Something I've been mulling over for years, and after watching that interview with Bryan Burk ,kinda solidified it, but how important is it for you to know exactly where your supplies come from. Really trying to gauge this as how much effort is worth it to be honest with ourselves about who we get needles,ink, grips, even something as simple as grommets from? I know on a personal level who I've bought machines from, and I pretty much only use pigment I've made, someone I work with has made, or Waverly , whom is run by a amn I call a good friend( and Bill's stuff is the best, I've been in his 'lab' and it's top- notch). But I've stopped making needles these past two-three years. Spent a couple bucks and ordered them directly from the factory in China that makes EVERYBODIES needles..Simple things like that. I can buy a 24$ "Eikon style" power supply, but do I ( We?) really want to support that, and in a sense, "cheapen" what we do? Should we all stop being so lazy, and try and rekindle that DIY spirit that tattooings all about? Also, if anyone wants to offer up venues to recommend where someone can buy supplies made for tattooers, by tattooers..that would be appreciated.

I think that this type of philosophy can be applied to a lot of different things that we purchase. I am not a tattooer or talking about tattoo related products, but everything from food to clothing. It is something that I have started thinking more and more about since having kids.

Working in the food industry, and applying food safety and quality standards to everything down to the lubricants that are used on machines that do not even come into contact with food (secondary packaging equipment as an example), any and everything that is ordered is scrutinized heavily... All materials need a letter of guarantee, a certificate of analysis and a visit to the manufacturing plant to ensure that allergens are not used in the product, or even used on the same line or in the facility of origin... I have written letters to customers stating that all of our sourced raw materials etc are melamine free when that issue was big in the news... I have now seen some requests from our customers wanting us to prove that none of our products are manufactured in Japan because of the radiation concerns in the food chain...

jonesy...